New World Cup Trophy unveiled

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Well I've changed my mind, I don't want Russia to win the World Cup ... cuz it's soooooo ugly, uuugggghhh! :lol:

Papaduke

Jan 12, 2004
Alpharetta, GA
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
First of all, it should still be called the Canada Cup. We invented the tourney, created the sport and all other countries seem to think we are the team to beat going into this tourney every year so it is fitting they must take our Cup away from us.

Second, that is one damn ugly trophy.
I agree wholeheartedly Jason, the trophy is pretty gay like Canada. I think we should call it the Canada Cup too. :joker:

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Water-clear urethane was used to give the trophy an "ice-like" appearance and Stereo Lithography Apparatus (SLA) was used to precisely shape the components into a multi-dimensional puzzle.

Wait, guys, it's a "puzzle." Maybe the winning team gets to assemble it into whatever the real shape is supposed to be.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Better pic:

frank_gehry_worldcup2004_trophy.jpg

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Oh man is that ugly as hell. The 1996 one isn't much better. Why not just make it a nice conventional gold or silver trophy? Not this plastic futuristic vase look.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Looks a little avant garde for the likes of professional hockey. Not surprising since Frank Geary is the designer. His work is pretty out there. Interestingly, he's supposed to be the mastermind for the design behind an as of yet unbuilt arena in Kansas City that is supposed to draw a NHL team.

Last edited:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
The more I see it, the more it grows on me. It's something new and different and human nature is to reject change. However, I will be a forward thinker and enjoy this new age cup.

SatanSoldier

Apr 4, 2004
London, ON
Honestly, come on! How do you expect to start a tradition with a thing like that? :dunno:

That thing is honestly hideous. This is a sport that has timely trophies like the Stanley Cup, the Conn Smythe and such. Then they go out and come up with something like this? Please!

BCCHL inactive

Alberta Hab Fan said:
Here's the 1996 one. They shoulda kept this one if you ask me.

http://www.canoe.ca/HockeyWorldCupImages/worldcuptrophy.jpg

The 1996 trophy also weighs fifty pounds. They had to make a new one.

The new trophy is gross. Where are you supposed to engrave anything on it? A trophy is not a trophy unless you can engrave at least the team name and year on it.

...Not to mention it looks like something I might find in the extreme depths of my basement.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Van said:
The 1996 trophy also weighs fifty pounds. They had to make a new one.

The new trophy is gross. Where are you supposed to engrave anything on it? A trophy is not a trophy unless you can engrave at least the team name and year on it.

...Not to mention it looks like something I might find in the extreme depths of my basement.

The metal slides out of the glass and is where the engraving is made.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I would be insulted to have to lift that ugly piece of trash. You may actually stab yourself with it. The winning team should beat the pile of metal or plastic with their sticks.

SENSational

Mar 26, 2004
Ottawa
The old man makes it look a lot worse than it actually is but that thing is still preatty ugly. I give it a 4/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->