Proposal: New winger for Grioux

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Probably....unless Sanheim got a taste of the NHL and played well.

The Leafs would literally respond with Provorov or they hang up the phone.

They have absolutely no incentive to trade an elite 20 year old already producing in the NHL, let alone for a downgrade prospect-wise in Sanheim; it's still a rebuild year for them remember, even if they are in playoff contention currently, absolutely not win-now whatsoever. Also Lamiorello is not Chiarelli, he doesn't really ever lose value in trades so he probably would just not make a trade at all if that dumb trade Edmonton made has set the market value currently for defenseman.

Just because they have Matthews and Marner who are both far more valuable than any player on Philadelphia not named Giroux doesn't mean their third best prospect, who is on pace to outproduce Eichel's rookie year, automatically loses value at all. Even though that seems to be the common idea on these boards.

it would be Provorov for Nylander + 2-4th pick or they just hang up and continue to enjoy having Nylander on their team with no regrets whatsoever.

Sanheim doesn't even get the ball rolling on Nylander.

Even if a defenseman is more valuable than a winger and Edmonton set the trade market incredibly low for this kind of trade it means absolutely nothing to the Leafs who will gladly just not trade Nylander and move on. HFBoards seems to be good (at times) in matching up the values of players but don't seem to often consider how incentive is what really sets the value a team is willing to accept back in a trade.

When it is all said and done people should really stop even proposing trades for Nylander because the Leafs are simply not going to move him outside of a massive overpayment.

And again, I said Sanheim would have to play in the NHL AND play well to get them interested.

But what is funny....is Jets fans seemed receptive to a Trouba for Sanheim deal so the can protect 3 D and 7 F. And Leafs fans said that a Nylander for Trouba deal is something they could see to have a legit top pairing in Trouba and Rielly.

Hence why I had originally said they likely only move Nylander for a top pairing guy. And since they have Rielly on the left side, they would be looking for someone who plays the right. Trouba fits that.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

They have absolutely no incentive to trade an elite 20 year old already producing in the NHL, let alone for a downgrade prospect-wise in Sanheim; it's still a rebuild year for them remember, even if they are in playoff contention currently, absolutely not win-now whatsoever. Also Lamiorello is not Chiarelli, he doesn't really ever lose value in trades so he probably would just not make a trade at all if that dumb trade Edmonton made has set the market value currently for defenseman.

Just because they have Matthews and Marner who are both far more valuable than any player on Philadelphia not named Giroux doesn't mean their third best prospect, who is on pace to outproduce Eichel's rookie year, automatically loses value at all. Even though that seems to be the common idea on these boards.

it would be Provorov for Nylander + 2-4th pick or they just hang up and continue to enjoy having Nylander on their team with no regrets whatsoever.

Even if a defenseman is more valuable than a winger and Edmonton set the trade market incredibly low for this kind of trade it means absolutely nothing to the Leafs who will gladly just not trade Nylander and move on. HFBoards seems to be good (at times) in matching up the values of players but don't seem to often consider how incentive is what really sets the value a team is willing to accept back in a trade.

When it is all said and done people should really stop even proposing trades for Nylander because the Leafs are simply not going to move him outside of a massive overpayment.

I super love it when we get a prototypically insane Leafs diatribe on our own board.
Awesome.
Never change, T'ronto.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I like the idea of acquiring a high-end winger for G.

I also wouldnt mind trying Schenn on G's RW and acquiring a 3C..which would cost less.

Konecny - Giroux - Schenn
Raffl - Couturier - Voracek
Weise - 3C - Simmonds

Lindblom makes team next season and pushes Raffl down to 3LW and Weise down to 4LW.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I think I remember seeing it mentioned before but is raffl capable of playing 3c? If we can find a lw for Giroux is this an option?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
i think neither fanbase would want to do that deal. It would make sense, but I doubt it would happen.

'A' quality prospects almost never get traded for one another.

But I think this deal would make sense for both sides considering strengths and weaknesses of current lineups and prospect pools.

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City
i think neither fanbase would want to do that deal. It would make sense, but I doubt it would happen.

I want no parts in trading a package of our prospects for a Landeskog or Duchene type. However, a guy like Nylander from the same draft as Sanheim with no/small adds? You're out of your mind if you don't strongly consider that deal. It takes away a potential top pairing defenseman with a very rare skillset, but Nylander is 20 years old on a 58 point pace and can grow into our 1C after Giroux. I'm confident that Provorov can and will be a very good 1D in this league. Although Sanheim has the best shot at becoming a top pairing guy, we realistically still have Gostisbehere, Morin, and Myers who can be good top 4 guys. I think adding Nylander to the young forward core with Konecny, Lindblom, Couturier, etc. is a home run even with the loss of Sanheim who I love.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I want no parts in trading a package of our prospects for a Landeskog or Duchene type. However, a guy like Nylander from the same draft as Sanheim with no/small adds? You're out of your mind if you don't strongly consider that deal. It takes away a potential top pairing defenseman with a very rare skillset, but Nylander is 20 years old on a 58 point pace and can grow into our 1C after Giroux. I'm confident that Provorov can and will be a very good 1D in this league. Although Sanheim has the best shot at becoming a top pairing guy, we realistically still have Gostisbehere, Morin, and Myers who can be good top 4 guys. I think adding Nylander to the young forward core with Konecny, Lindblom, Couturier, etc. is a home run even with the loss of Sanheim who I love.

This is really just a curiosity but why is Sanheim always discussed in trade but not Ghost? Ghost has played a little more than 1 season at the NHL level. Does that one season make that much difference.

Sanheim is 3 years younger and 5 inches taller. He looks like he can provide a similar offensive production as Ghost but is much bigger. Wouldn't it make more sense to trade the smaller version.

Also any trade of Ghost wouldn't include another top asset to get the deal done as is would with Sanheim.

I don't want to trade either but I would rather keep the 6'4 version instead.

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City
This is really just a curiosity but why is Sanheim always discussed in trade but not Ghost? Ghost has played a little more than 1 season at the NHL level. Does that one season make that much difference.

Sanheim is 3 years younger and 5 inches taller. He looks like he can provide a similar offensive production as Ghost but is much bigger. Wouldn't it make more sense to trade the smaller version.

Also any trade of Ghost wouldn't include another top asset to get the deal done as is would with Sanheim.

I don't want to trade either but I would rather keep the 6'4 version instead.

I value Sanheim more than I value Ghost. Not sure how everyone else feels about that.

REGGIE DUNLOP77

Jun 16, 2014
Southern GeorgianBay

I edited the crap out of it after you quoted it because it read poorly but yeah this is why this trade is completely pointless to even talk about... The Leafs have no incentive to give up Nylander for anything short of Provorov (Gotisbehere is a LHD which they don't need) and it obviously makes no sense for Philadelphia to trade their brightest prospect who has just stepped up in the league and is performing.

No point in even talking about trading for Nylander.

Good post

If the value is right i think Lou will trade Nylander,leafs have lots of young forwards ,sounds like the flyers have some young men,i would think management for both teams would be keeping tabs on other team,if they are not they are not doing there jobs...

If there needs to be a plus with Nylander or any other player the leafs trade to get the player they need/want i trust Lou will get far market value..

I think the expansion draft is holding alot of things up

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

I know a lot of folks are REALLY high on Sanheim thinking he is a future top pairing guy and probably would not trade him at all. But I agree, I would really think about a deal centered around Sanheim for Nylander. I like Nylander a lot too. The guy has some of the best hands in the league and he is just barely scratching the surface of his potential.
It isnt going to happen, but it is fun to talk about.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I know a lot of folks are REALLY high on Sanheim thinking he is a future top pairing guy and probably would not trade him at all. But I agree, I would really think about a deal centered around Sanheim for Nylander. I like Nylander a lot too. The guy has some of the best hands in the league and he is just barely scratching the surface of his potential.
It isnt going to happen, but it is fun to talk about.

The problem is the Flyers could be trading low on Sanheim. With the way the league is desperate for defensemen, waiting a couple of seasons from now when Sanheim has had some success (hopefully) at the NHL level, the terms of the trade would swing way into the Flyers favor. Right now the deal would be Sanheim plus but a few seasons from now, it would be Nylander plus.

So it's a matter of patience.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The problem is the Flyers could be trading low on Sanheim. With the way the league is desperate for defensemen, waiting a couple of seasons from now when Sanheim has had some success (hopefully) at the NHL level, the terms of the trade would swing way into the Flyers favor. Right now the deal would be Sanheim plus but a few seasons from now, it would be Nylander plus.

So it's a matter of patience.

As someone said, Carlo is a great example. Before the season, not a chance he would be a centerpiece in a deal for Landeskog or Duchene. Now, that's who the Avs want.

It's also why I have said in threads in the main board, that the flip side is also true. The time to try and grab a young D is before they break out. Because once they do, their value jumps way up and the chance to grab them is likely gone.

And of course that assumes they come in and play well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad