New Westminster BC

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
how did Calgary burn Saint John, PCS, Calgary partnered with local ownership, even there in Saint John, and still the group running it for Calgary went belly-up, despite a championship in 2001, the same season the league absorbed what had been the IHL, same thing occurred in Omaha, and QC (AND even now, QC is a footnote in hockey history, whether it be the Mallards or the Flames, and independent of league affiliation,) how are they burning Stockton, PCS, when Sacramento is joining them with their G-League franchise in the same arena....

Simple answer: I've seen the crowds the Thunder got; I've seen what passes for attendance now. Furthermore, I mean in person, I mean the eye test, not what passes as official BS reported attendance.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
those wishing to say that Vancouver needs to exit Utica for another market need to read the Ed Willes piece in the Province now that the Canucks/Sedin era have finished and are focusing on the Comets.....

Don't be shocked if the Canucks extend the deal in Utica another 5 to 6 years.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Forget New Westminster BC it's not a deserving hockey market. New West Manchester, Delaware on the other hand is a perfect place for an AHL team.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Chris, I think he's referring to when the Thunder were in Stockton, and comparing that to how the Heat are doing now.
don't think the Heat would be there nor would Sacramento select Stockton, since Calgary no longer owns the Thunder, I believe they moved to KC, BECAUSE WE REMEMBER the city OF Stockton almost went the way Springfield did when Mass Mutual Center was forced to be upgraded and the entire Commonwealth paid for that facility because Springfield 'claimed' it was 'insolvent/broke'.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I find this topic boring and irrelevant. All this is just filler discussion which is fine but until Seattle has an NHL club announced, or Vancouver intends to relocate from Utica I don't find this thread much fun lol. If travel (player movement) isn't an issue for Vancouver then why even mess with a system that is not broken?

So why hang on a discussion board? That's 75% of its function.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
how, PCS.... Esche asked to be a member of the AHL AND WAS DIRECTED to Vancouver when the Blues left the ownership ranks permanently, when they went to Rosemont/Glenview, IL.... Orca Bay has never stated an issue with either Esche or the Comets (originally the Ice Cats)....

Abbotsford has stated thanks, but no thanks after the Heat's flirtation were rebuked by Calgary and that was before the out clause was exercised by the city, remember, Vancouver had no ownership in any franchise until they bought the Comets, whether Esche operates it for them or not....

as for Seattle, way too early for that at this point, Mike, but I don't see Seattle crossing the International border for affiliation purposes, because that is Orca Bay's territory and that is unknown if Seattle has to pay a territory fee to Vancouver, even if the Canucks are in BC

It was the Flames that blocked the Canucks farm team to Abbotsford and they also threatened to invoke territorial rights when the Canucks considered putting an AHL in Roger's Arena. Their motivation was getting every cent they could get from their deal with the city. The Canucks responded by buying the Rivermen and then moved them to Utica. A season or two later the Heat left and the Comets had an agreement in place.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad