New to the KHL

Bhrangerfan0809

Jan 20, 2013
Hey guys, I'm working on a project that involves the KHL and would like a bit of information on player styles and skill levels. I'm starting off with HC Dynamo Moscow and CSKA Moscow. Could anyone who knows enough about these teams outline what their (as of now) lines would look like (or sort of a depth chart)? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Quick ones here. Not a rocket science since these are new players but a depth chart seems to be like this:

CSKA

Galimov
Lalande
Proskuryakov

Zaitsev-Denisov
Billins-Kiselevich
Yegorshev-Misharin
Bondarev-Panin

Prokhorkin-Da Costa-Radulov
Grigorenko-Stas-Mursak
Fefelov-Korotkov-Zharkov
Volkov-Nikulin-Zhafyarov

Eager, Telegin in the press box. Although this might be a bit biased since I like some players more than others.

Dinamo

Yaryomenko
Lazushin
Sharychenkov

Jalasvaara-Novak
Robinson-Mironov
Solovyov-Derlyuk
Vishnevsky-Koryagin

Pestushko-Gorovikov-Daugavins
Karpov-Tsvetkov-Karsums
Soin-Tereschenko-Kokarev
Babenko-Pestunov-Zherdev
Glazachev-Volkov-Mosalyov
Sopin-Dugin

Actually Dinamo's roster is a bit of a crap-shoot since they use a heavy squad rotation and this is not really a depth chart since Gorovikov really isn't the best center on the team but I think he is still the first line center. Or Zherdev penciled into that "Kvapil spot" on the fourth line. Also, most of these players are very versatile so it's tough to say exact line combinations (there are like 8 natural centers in this roster and few others who can play center) and overall you have to know this team to understand the exact value of the player but for the time being - this will do.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Dyanmo has lost it's head coach to the national team. His assistant took over. while he won't blow up everything it still remains to be seen what his personal concept will be. The only position you can talk about with certainty is in goal. Clear cut veterean no.1 Yeryomenko with Sharychenkov being a very very good young man who easily replaced Yeryomenko during a lengthy injury in the past and is probably projected to be their starter for the future. Yeryomenko is not getting younger and every season the chances of Sharychenkov taking over are growing. An injury to Yeryomenko or a some real stretch of bad play could do that. Lazushin I see as a good back up policy.

The D is still a downgrade to their championship years in my eyes. A couple of key guys signed away after the second championship. If the signing of Robinson who's had a good year with Riga works out they'll have a good mix of veterans and youth. The youth has to make the next step though, especially Mironov. There is a sleeper pick with Sinitsyn coming back from NA. No idea if he works out or is once again a guy whose career was spoiled by the ealy jump to NA.

They don't have young forwards though. When healty it looks like a very solid core of veterans. They always preach the scoring by comittee scheme. They do have the tools. The Zherdev signing is not more than a gamble. One more party and he's out before you know it.

Last edited:

Bhrangerfan0809

Jan 20, 2013
Thanks for the info, guys. How would you rank the players on each team based on skill level, or best-to-worst?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Thanks for the info, guys. How would you rank the players on each team based on skill level, or best-to-worst?

With CSKA it's easy - the most skilled (best) players are on the first lines with only exceptions being Denisov (who isn't the most skilled player but a good minute-eater), Misharin (who is maybe a bit better player than his place in the depth chart would indicate since there is a big gap between him and other bottom-4 Ds) and Zhafyarov who is a really skilled but very young player.

Now with Dinamo, it's much more complicated since they mix skilled players with grinders a lot. So I will try to separate skill players from grinders. Obviously there's a lot of grey area here since some skilled players are not all skill and some grinders are not all grind. Supposedly best ones are mentioned first:

D:
Skilled guys: Robinson, Solovyov
In-between: Novak, Jalasvaara, Mironov (if he does take that next step which he should), Derlyuk (although he doesn't really show the skill side in recent seasons so his position here is debatable)
Grinders: Vishnevsky, Koryagin (who maybe does have some skill in him but can't show it at the KHL level yet)

F:
Skilled: Pestushko, Daugavins (he has really changed his game a lot in NLA so I dare to call him a skill player now), Karpov, Tsvetkov, Zherdev, Gorovikov (a lot higher if he can bounce back but I think age has done his dirty deed here and there's no way to fight it), Glazachev
In-between: Karsums (a natural grinder but his shot and physical tools make him a decent goalscorer at this level), Tereschenko, Mosalyov, Volkov, Dugin (more of a skilled player really but will have to adapt if he wants to stay with Dinamo), Sopin
Grinders: Kokarev, Soin, Babenko, Pestunov (once a really good scorer though).

Overall, young players like Sopin, Dugin or Koryagin are yet to carve out their real KHL identity but at this point it looks something like that.

A value to the team of each player is very debatable though since a case can be made that Kokarev and Soin are its best players and Babenko is team's captain who played in team-high 59 games last year (as well as Komarov and Solovyov). Granted some players couldn't play as much due to injuries but still, it speaks volumes about the identity of the team.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
SoundandFury, where did u get Prokhorkin on the wing????

Khokhol-Prokhorkin-Radu
will be the first line if everything stands as is.
Mursak is being offered around as a trade bait.
Da costa will be centering the second line.
U put Eager and Telegin on the pine, keeping Fefelov on the roster?
how about you refer to my previous post seat and wait a bit, while the roster shakes out.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
SoundandFury, where did u get Prokhorkin on the wing????

Khokhol-Prokhorkin-Radu
will be the first line if everything stands as is.
Mursak is being offered around as a trade bait.
Da costa will be centering the second line.
U put Eager and Telegin on the pine, keeping Fefelov on the roster?
how about you refer to my previous post seat and wait a bit, while the roster shakes out.

In the depth chart. That first line, on paper, is the best line CSKA could have by a country mile. Much like Sharp-Toews-Kane, even though they almost never play together, are the Hawks' first line on the depth chart.

Regarding Fefelov, he had a strong playoffs last year and coaches used to really like him. Eager is useless and Telegin hasn't played hockey for 1.5 years, so yeah, at this point I would and I did pick Fefelov over them.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
In the depth chart. That first line, on paper, is the best line CSKA could have by a country mile. Much like Sharp-Toews-Kane, even though they almost never play together, are the Hawks' first line on the depth chart.

Regarding Fefelov, he had a strong playoffs last year and coaches used to really like him. Eager is useless and Telegin hasn't played hockey for 1.5 years, so yeah, at this point I would and I did pick Fefelov over them.

I get it, you need to put in the last word, peace!

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Kinda wonder which first North American team gets a KHL team.

Alaska? New York?

Not saying it'd happen, but if it were to it would be in 10-50 years.

But I say in 3-10 years Sweden gets a team.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
5cheifele5;88403773[B said:
]Kinda wonder which first North American team gets a KHL team.

Alaska? New York? [/B]

Not saying it'd happen, but if it were to it would be in 10-50 years.

But I say in 3-10 years Sweden gets a team.

:laugh: I'm going to say with absolute certainty, none.

turk96

Jun 9, 2013
Indiana
Heh, I remember when the Canadian Football League expanded into the U.S. I imagine that will look like a smashing success compared to a KHL attempt to infiltrate North America.

alce*

Why do you guys don't discuss first KHL team on Mars? Because as far as I know Mars have exactly same priority as NA in KHL plans. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad