New to hockey; trying to choose team

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
idk if this is the right place to do this but here we go-

what began as an attempt to bridge an embarrassingly large gap in my sports knowledge-has developed into an obsession of sorts with hockey. from what i've learned so far i love everything about the sport and feel like an absolute sucker for not following it closer growing up (growing up in Kansas City with no team may have contributed to this).

my dad suggested picking one of the original 6 but
a) i want an american team
b) i'm in my early 20's and i'd feel like a real pigeon to bandwagon with one of those teams (still a little rusty on hockey slang).

i have the bad habit of doing things at 110% at all times so once i choose a team there is no going back. I have the rest of my life to watch, follow, and enjoy hockey- i realize that i've spent more time deliberating teams than i did trying to pick where to go to college, and rightfully so this is a big decision.

i'm in my own head now and really dont even know what is important to keep in mind when supporting a hockey team. in no particular order these are things that are important to me

1. New-ish team (easier to learn teams history)
2. no bandwagon-esque teams (total muppet move)
3. good hockey town/fanbase/atmosphere.

is there anything else that should be important to me? my early list so far is

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS
SAN JOSE SHARKS
ANAHEIM DUCKS
BUFFALO SABRES
CAROLINA HURRICANES
ARIZONA COYOTES

DISCLAIMER: i refuse to support the blues or anything else from that trash city. also worried about relocation because that would suck to go all in and then them just move although i guess that wouldn't really hurt. I also wouldn't love being a seattle fan.

any help is appreciated.

Seems like the Devils make the most sense as the franchise was once in KC.. They're terrible right now, so nobody will accuse you of jumping on a bandwagon.

As for history, it's easy Stanley Cups in 1995, 2000 and 2003
The 2 Scott's.. Niedermayer and Stevens

And of course MARTY'S BETTER

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
Although I’m English, I lived for two years in Montreal, so the choice of NHL team was easy. Maybe you have some strong connection to one of the teams eg mum born in the team’s city. I know someone who supports Pittsburgh because he adores penguins. o_O :) Surely all teams have world class athletes and are worth following.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
idk if this is the right place to do this but here we go-

what began as an attempt to bridge an embarrassingly large gap in my sports knowledge-has developed into an obsession of sorts with hockey. from what i've learned so far i love everything about the sport and feel like an absolute sucker for not following it closer growing up (growing up in Kansas City with no team may have contributed to this).

my dad suggested picking one of the original 6 but
a) i want an american team
b) i'm in my early 20's and i'd feel like a real pigeon to bandwagon with one of those teams (still a little rusty on hockey slang).

i have the bad habit of doing things at 110% at all times so once i choose a team there is no going back. I have the rest of my life to watch, follow, and enjoy hockey- i realize that i've spent more time deliberating teams than i did trying to pick where to go to college, and rightfully so this is a big decision.

i'm in my own head now and really dont even know what is important to keep in mind when supporting a hockey team. in no particular order these are things that are important to me

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS
SAN JOSE SHARKS
ANAHEIM DUCKS
BUFFALO SABRES
CAROLINA HURRICANES
ARIZONA COYOTES

DISCLAIMER: i refuse to support the blues or anything else from that trash city. also worried about relocation because that would suck to go all in and then them just move although i guess that wouldn't really hurt. I also wouldn't love being a seattle fan.

any help is appreciated.

Honest, my pick would be the Ottawa Senators. Why? They are probably the most "likable" team in the NHL right now. Players like Tkachuk, Stutzle and Chabot are gems and a treat to watch and root for. Not only that--the Sens fit your story--looking for a new start and a team to hitch your wagon to. Get in with these boys now, take your lumps with them, cheer them on, and reap the rewards down the line.

I'm in a similar situation in a way--I've been a lifelong Flyers fan for 40+ years, however I am pulling my fan card and bailing on them. Ever since Mr. Snider passed and Comcast fully took over, the Flyers have become a pathetic line item on a corporate spread sheet. The entire organization, from top-to-bottom is an embarrassment and I feel as if "my team" was literally robbed from me and destroyed. This season was the straw that broke the camel's back. Watching them get blown out on home ice while Gritty was playing with a whoopie cushion on TV made me see red. I didn't quit on them, they quit on me. Unfortunately, Comcast isn't selling anytime soon, so things are going to get a lot worse. I am 100% out.

So I also had to hitch my wagon to a new team. My choices came down to 4 clubs:

1. Toronto Maple Leafs
2. Colorado Avalanche
3. Montreal Canadiens
4. Ottawa Senators

Watching hockey from the late-70s until today, my favorite teams growing up and during the 80s and 90s were...

1. Philadelphia Flyers
2. Quebec Nordiques
3. Toronto Maple Leafs
4. Montreal Canadiens
5. Ottawa Senators

... so it's only fitting that my "new team" would be one of those. It really came down to the Avs (Nords) and Leafs, but the Leafs being in the East sealed the deal for me. Additionally, 2 of my 5 all-time favorite players were Leafs--Borje Salming and Mats Sundin. I also own 13 Maple Leafs jerseys and tons of Leafs swag and the blue/white color scheme is my favorite in all of sports (Leafs, Cowboys, Colts, Dodgers, etc.)

Pick your team, study their history, get involved with other fans and have a blast. Today we can watch all teams at all times so it's not like you won't be able to watch every game your new favorite team plays.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS
SAN JOSE SHARKS
ANAHEIM DUCKS
BUFFALO SABRES
CAROLINA HURRICANES
ARIZONA COYOTES

My first thought was this reminded me of a Bill Simmons ESPN article from when he was trying to narrow down an English Premier League club: ESPN.com: Page 2 : Choosing my EPL team

He made a good point that if you're not local, it's probably a consideration to choose a team that can double as a potential vacation stop. As a weirdo Devils fan in California, I enjoy that I can visit New York City and easily hop on a train to catch a Devils home game. As others mentioned, getting in on the ground floor with Seattle might be fun. If I were a fresh hockey fan, Vegas would probably be a thought.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Honest, my pick would be the Ottawa Senators. Why? They are probably the most "likable" team in the NHL right now. Players like Tkachuk, Stutzle and Chabot are gems and a treat to watch and root for. Not only that--the Sens fit your story--looking for a new start and a team to hitch your wagon to. Get in with these boys now, take your lumps with them, cheer them on, and reap the rewards down the line.

I'm in a similar situation in a way--I've been a lifelong Flyers fan for 40+ years, however I am pulling my fan card and bailing on them. Ever since Mr. Snider passed and Comcast fully took over, the Flyers have become a pathetic line item on a corporate spread sheet. The entire organization, from top-to-bottom is an embarrassment and I feel as if "my team" was literally robbed from me and destroyed. This season was the straw that broke the camel's back. Watching them get blown out on home ice while Gritty was playing with a whoopie cushion on TV made me see red. I didn't quit on them, they quit on me. Unfortunately, Comcast isn't selling anytime soon, so things are going to get a lot worse. I am 100% out.

So I also had to hitch my wagon to a new team. My choices came down to 4 clubs:

1. Toronto Maple Leafs
2. Colorado Avalanche
3. Montreal Canadiens
4. Ottawa Senators

Watching hockey from the late-70s until today, my favorite teams growing up and during the 80s and 90s were...

1. Philadelphia Flyers
2. Quebec Nordiques
3. Toronto Maple Leafs
4. Montreal Canadiens
5. Ottawa Senators

... so it's only fitting that my "new team" would be one of those. It really came down to the Avs (Nords) and Leafs, but the Leafs being in the East sealed the deal for me. Additionally, 2 of my 5 all-time favorite players were Leafs--Borje Salming and Mats Sundin. I also own 13 Maple Leafs jerseys and tons of Leafs swag and the blue/white color scheme is my favorite in all of sports (Leafs, Cowboys, Colts, Dodgers, etc.)

Pick your team, study their history, get involved with other fans and have a blast. Today we can watch all teams at all times so it's not like you won't be able to watch every game your new favorite team plays.

Enjoy!
I love the Sens young group and Tkachuk might be my favourite young player, but the team's ownership is a question mark. Careful with this, it could break your heart. I know some Sens' fans who were absolutely gutted when they dismantled the team a few years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad