New to hockey (Can't even skate!)

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
So about how many minutes or hours a week should you practice skating to be able to join a beer league in 5 months?

Even approximate numbers or a range is ok because I know everyone is different.

blackout44

Jun 5, 2014
I skated around 8 to 10 hours a week at public sessions before I even started messing with a stick and puck. I did that for 4 months before I transitioned to sticktimes and more hockey related practice.

It really depends on what level of skating you'd like to be at. I probably put in 150 hours of ice time just skating at public sessions, and I'm happy I did. I may not be able to do everything I'd like to on skates yet, but I can hustle around the rink and generally be useful in game situations. I can't say the same about my stickhandling though.... haha.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
So how often should we sharpen our skates?

First of all, I saw your comment earlier and didn't have time to respond, so sorry.

For the amount of sharpening your skates, it depends on how good you skate, how good you sharpening job is, how hard you skate, and how many times a week do you skate. Based on all I know about you, and all I know is your a beginner, I'd say once a month if you skate 2 or 3 times a week as a beginner. If after a few weeks if you feel your skates are too dull and are loosing your edges, get them sharpened once every 3 or 2 weeks. If you feel that they are sharp enough after 4 weeks, do yourself a favor and save some money by getting them sharpened once every 5 or 6 weeks, but once ever month should be good enough.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Good advice guys. I talked to a guy who runs a rec league and he said it's no contact but I can understand on skates how you can slide into someone unintentionally.

He also said you don't need to know how to skate backwards to play but it helps!

Keep in mind, 'no contact' as used in hockey is really 'no check'. You're not allowed to bodycheck, but incidental contact is allowed. You are allowed to lean on people around in front of the net, bump and grind along the boards. You're also given a right to the ice you're on, which means that you can put yourself in a place where somebody has no choice but to skate into you. It looks like a hit to the untrained eye, but it's not, and it's perfectly legal in no check hockey. Nobody's going to throw a big center ice hit, but you definitely need to expect body contact.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
So about how many minutes or hours a week should you practice skating to be able to join a beer league in 5 months?

Even approximate numbers or a range is ok because I know everyone is different.

What tier are you joining? If you're in the bottom tier, then we can talk! Otherwise, it's very unlikely no matter how much you practice that you'll be good enough, unless you have a strong background of ball hockey or roller hockey. It's hard to initially put it all together, even when you learn to skate.

If you're starting in 5 months, I'd do as much as you could. Maybe an adult skate once a week by yourself for an hour, plus entry lessons (which are usually really cheap) for skating another time a week for another hour. Once you can stop, crossover, skate backwards and transition, then drop the lessons and take a powerskating course. Replace the adult skate with stick and puck.

Do all that for the next 5 months (so two hours a week) and I think you'll be fine for entry-level beer league. It's really more about your focus and drive on the ice, not so much how long you spend. If you're pushing yourself you'll cover much more ground than if you're just sort of coasting around.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Which parts do you live in? In Calgary we have a beginners program for brand new skaters in the leagues and you basically get 6 weeks or so of skating courses then 6 weeks of games.

Otherwise if you're doing it on your own I'd say at about 20-30 hours of on ice should get you able to skate depending on your ability to pick it up.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I started when I was about 19/20. I went quite a bit, sometimes 5+ days per week at public skate or stick n puck. Picked it up relatively quick, have played beer league for 3-4 years since and have done quite well.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

JoeCool, it will be the lowest level adult league I can find! Right now I am just asking for information. I need to take care of some personal issues before I can dedicate myself to this fully.

One thing a skating instructor once told me years ago. She told me to learn ice skating on figure skates and once you can skate on figure skates then switch to hockey skates. Do you guys agree?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

JoeCool, it will be the lowest level adult league I can find! Right now I am just asking for information. I need to take care of some personal issues before I can dedicate myself to this fully.

One thing a skating instructor once told me years ago. She told me to learn ice skating on figure skates and once you can skate on figure skates then switch to hockey skates. Do you guys agree?

The rockers of the blades between the two are actually quite different, so you end up with completely different strides and stances. I could see in some respects in terms of developing your balance and body awareness to start in figure skates, but that'd more be an overall long term plan thing.

If you're wanting to be ready in 5 months, you'll want to stick with hockey skates - but see if you can find an adult learn to skate program to join to get the ice time and skating technique taught.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I was able to play at the beginner to lower intermediate level in about 6 months after starting from scratch.

It's been about 2 full years of playing for me and I can comfortably play in intermediate level setting. Is still somewhat a liability defensively between intermediate-advanced, but can sort of keep up offensively.

Note that during my first year of play I was on the ice about 4-5 times a week. My second year slid off to about 1-2 games a week.

scryan

May 1, 2013
Maybe my childhood of rollerblading helped me more then I could imagine... I rode the things a bit growing up

But if your just talking like play low level beer leauge... Go for like an hour a couple times a week and you should be OK?
Skating is not that hard, beer league is not that good. OK to skate great is hard, but you just need to start and stop with out being too big a liability, and you have damn near a half a year. Without going too crazy you should be at least acceptable if you skate semi-regularly.

I'd say as soon as you can, skate in pads. Falling on ice with no pads sucks, ice is hard. With pads its usually not a deal and it helps to be fearless so you can really push/explore your limits. Look for lessons or stick and puck for this.

granted I am talking about minimum skill level to participate, not to succeed... But from nothing to the point where I was bored of public sessions and needed pads to push harder safely was like a handful of times or a couple of weeks....couple months skating with pads and and I was maybe not good, but competent and comfortable.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
You seem a bit obsessed by being ready to play in a beer league. Don't worry about it. If your local rink has a decent league there will be a level suitable for you, even if you can barely stand up on skates.

But I know you want to be better than that, so ... skate, skate, skate. A player could have the best puck skills imaginable, but those skills are pointless if he can't beat an opponent to the puck, and to a location on the ice to utilize them.

It's been a while since I've looked into it, but there are hockey skating professionals, some of whom work with NHL teams and individual players, who publish instructional DVDs. Buy one, watch it, and go apply what you've learned on the ice. Wouldn't be a bad idea to pay for some lessons. Having someone assess you on the ice is a big help.

And, most important, get out to your local stick time. There you can work on what matters to you - skating, stick handling, shooting, whatever.

Figure skates? Nah, forget that.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
She told me that because isn't there a stop or something at the front of a figure skate? Or is it just a longer blade? She told me it's easier to learn on figure skates and then you can switch to hockey skates.

Does any of that ring true to you?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
She told me that because isn't there a stop or something at the front of a figure skate? Or is it just a longer blade? She told me it's easier to learn on figure skates and then you can switch to hockey skates.

Does any of that ring true to you?

Well. Learning on figure skates and switching to hockey skates is easier than the reverse... But like I said before, they do have completely different strides and balances.

If you want to take your time, and spend the money on multiple pairs of skates - it won't hurt.

If you want to learn quickly and only have to buy one pair - just go with hockey skates.

The most important parts to first learning skating is body awareness (balance) and confidence. Remember that you go where you look, so don't be watching your feet.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
On the subject of learning figure skating to improve overall skating; I'd only recommend that to folks with the luxury of having too much money and an obscene amount of time to spend (i.e. you're on a gap year or have extended break)

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
I've actually heard that buying really good skates with lots of support is bad for beginners as their ankles do not develop the proper muscles needed. I'd go with a mid-range skate at most as your first pair.

This is probably the worst advice I've ever seen.

No matter the amount of support, it doesn't crutch the ankles or take the place of strength. The support is mostly comfort and impact related, but can play a small role in ankle strength.

Additionally, not having enough support can lead to ankle problems and bad skating technique which hinders you more than strength

I always recommend getting the best skates you can. Not only are they usually more comfortable, but they'll usually last longer.

snizzbone*

This is probably the worst advice I've ever seen.

No matter the amount of support, it doesn't crutch the ankles or take the place of strength. The support is mostly comfort and impact related, but can play a small role in ankle strength.

Additionally, not having enough support can lead to ankle problems and bad skating technique which hinders you more than strength

I always recommend getting the best skates you can. Not only are they usually more comfortable, but they'll usually last longer.

I could have sworn I've read that multiple times before. But I guess you're the expert.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Get the skates within your budget that makes you feel most comfortable. If you want skate advice, there's a sticky in this section.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
Well. Learning on figure skates and switching to hockey skates is easier than the reverse... But like I said before, they do have completely different strides and balances.

If you want to take your time, and spend the money on multiple pairs of skates - it won't hurt.

If you want to learn quickly and only have to buy one pair - just go with hockey skates.

The most important parts to first learning skating is body awareness (balance) and confidence. Remember that you go where you look, so don't be watching your feet.

There is a group learn to skate class at this rink and they fit you and give you figure skates as part of the class fee. It's a rental so you give them back when the class is over. The class meets for an hour once a week for 8 weeks. Plus they give you passes to skate on your own during free skate.

M11

Jul 3, 2014
I could have sworn I've read that multiple times before. But I guess you're the expert.

I've heard that before as well so i did a little research on it. From what I've read when they say you shouldn't buy high end skates for a beginner they are talking about the $500+ bracket. At that point the skates are designed for elite skaters that are skating several hours a day. Those skates are usually immensely stiff in order for them to last longer under heavy wear. A beginner would never be able to break those skates in, and the added stiffness would stop them from ever learning a proper stride.

Any skate under 100 dollars is not a hockey skate. It looks like a hockey skate, feels like a hockey skate, but after a few actual games they will give out. These skates are really just meant for public skating.

A beginner who plans to play hockey should be spending 200-300 dollars on their skates.

I went through this first hand. I broke 2 pairs of cheap skates before getting a good pair. Don't be cheap with your skates.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
With the expenses involved it's no wonder that hockey has a hard time spreading to non traditional hockey markets! It has to be the most expensive team sport on earth!

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
I wouldn't rush to get into beer league, unless it's a beginner friendly league. Develop your individual skills @ pick-up games, puck & stick times, adult skill development and/or power skating classes for a year or two minimum.

M11

Jul 3, 2014
I wouldn't rush to get into beer league, unless it's a beginner friendly league. Develop your individual skills @ pick-up games, puck & stick times, adult skill development and/or power skating classes for a year or two minimum.

The states are a little different. Recently Hockey has become a lot more popular, so there has been an increased demand for adult beginner leagues.

At least in Chicago there are quite a few adult leagues to choose from. Most of them have begun or have always offered a beginner division for people who have recently started playing.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010

Are you implying the Canadian beer/recreational leagues are at a higher skill level than American beer/rec leagues?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad