New to Baseball (Questions, etc)

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yeah it's a 6-3. Unless he throws it to himself :laugh:

The same number wouldn't be there twice in a row since they aren't throwing it to themselves.

Also, don't look it at as a "stupid question". The number stuff can get confusing.

True, true.

I’ve heard it referred to as both by different announcers, so I wasn’t sure.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Is the "Split-Finger Change" just another name of "Split-Finger Fastball" or a completely different pitch altogether?

It's essentially the same thing but the arm speed might vary depending on if you're using at as more of a 'changeup' vs a traditional split finger.

A good illustration is Kevin Gausman vs Masahiro Tanaka.

Tanaka uses his splitter like a more traditional fastball while Gausman uses his splitter as a changeup.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I was looking online at the dimensions of a baseball diamond, and I found a picture that says MLB ballparks has to have foul poles at 325 ft. at a minimum & center field at 400 ft. (I remember seeing this fact in a Phoenix Firebirds MiLB program, but I no longer have said program.) Is this a real rule? If so, where is this stated? I know that you need a high wall to compensate for a short porch (unless grandfathered in), but what do you need if you have a center field shorter than the minimum 400 ft?

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I was looking online at the dimensions of a baseball diamond, and I found a picture that says MLB ballparks has to have foul poles at 325 ft. at a minimum & center field at 400 ft. (I remember seeing this fact in a Phoenix Firebirds MiLB program, but I no longer have said program.) Is this a real rule? If so, where is this stated? I know that you need a high wall to compensate for a short porch (unless grandfathered in), but what do you need if you have a center field shorter than the minimum 400 ft?

I would imagine you need an area somewhere else that's more than 400 feet. AT&T Park is 399 to center but has that 421 area in right center. San Diego was 396 to center but had a 402 I think to left center.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
So I’m wondering how the leagues in the MLB go/rank. So like, is the MILB basically the AHL in baseball or is that a different league?

For example, for hockey it’s goes NHL AHL then the junior leagues of WHL etc

Nvm just found my answer like two mins later on MILB website lol

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
So I’m wondering how the leagues in the MLB go/rank. So like, is the MILB basically the AHL in baseball or is that a different league?

For example, for hockey it’s goes NHL AHL then the junior leagues of WHL etc

Nvm just found my answer like two mins later on MILB website lol

It's all good - for a fuller explanation - Minor League Baseball is the full farm system of MLB and consists of 255 teams divided among 18 leagues that span 7 classifications. From highest to lowest they are:

• AAA - International League, Mexican League*, and Pacific Coast League
  • AA - Eastern League, Southern League, and Texas League
  • Advanced A - California League, Carolina League, and Florida State League
  • A - Midwest League and South Atlantic League
  • Short Season A - New York-Penn League and Northwest League
  • Advanced Rookie - Appalachian League and Pioneer League
  • Rookie - Arizona League, Dominican Summer League, and Gulf Coast League
*Even though the Mexican League is considered a Triple-A league it's unique in that its teams aren't affiliated with any MLB teams.

Triple-A through Low-A are considered full season leagues while Short Season A, Advanced Rookie, and Rookie are short season leagues playing abbreviated schedules. Each MLB team has an affiliate at each of the full season classifications and at least one short season affiliate.

The classification is (roughly) a ladder with Triple-A being equivalent to the AHL, although some teams will choose to use their Double-A teams as their top farm team, especially if their Double-A franchise is geographically closer than their Triple-A affiliate (the Mets and the Marlins, for instance). Most MiLB teams aren't owned by their MLB affiliate (the exception being at the Rookie Level where ALL the teams are owned by MLB affiliates), so MLB teams will sign player development contracts (PDCs) with MiLB teams. As a result, affiliations can shift, usually in even-numbered years when those PDCs expire.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It's all good - for a fuller explanation - Minor League Baseball is the full farm system of MLB and consists of 255 teams divided among 18 leagues that span 7 classifications. From highest to lowest they are:

• AAA - International League, Mexican League*, and Pacific Coast League
  • AA - Eastern League, Southern League, and Texas League
  • Advanced A - California League, Carolina League, and Florida State League
  • A - Midwest League and South Atlantic League
  • Short Season A - New York-Penn League and Northwest League
  • Advanced Rookie - Appalachian League and Pioneer League
  • Rookie - Arizona League, Dominican Summer League, and Gulf Coast League
*Even though the Mexican League is considered a Triple-A league it's unique in that its teams aren't affiliated with any MLB teams.

Triple-A through Low-A are considered full season leagues while Short Season A, Advanced Rookie, and Rookie are short season leagues playing abbreviated schedules. Each MLB team has an affiliate at each of the full season classifications and at least one short season affiliate.

The classification is (roughly) a ladder with Triple-A being equivalent to the AHL, although some teams will choose to use their Double-A teams as their top farm team, especially if their Double-A franchise is geographically closer than their Triple-A affiliate (the Mets and the Marlins, for instance). Most MiLB teams aren't owned by their MLB affiliate (the exception being at the Rookie Level where ALL the teams are owned by MLB affiliates), so MLB teams will sign player development contracts (PDCs) with MiLB teams. As a result, affiliations can shift, usually in even-numbered years when those PDCs expire.
and then you have the independent leagues that cover the rest, too, GP.... SOME TEAMS IN THOSE leagues either were or are replacements for other affiliated teams in a given league that have either relaunched under a different name (Binghamton of the EL going to Rumble Ponies, Reading simply is known as the Fightins, and Savannah had the Sand Gnats in the SAL and now has the Savannah Bananas in what is the Coastal Plain League, the Savannah Sand Gnats are now the Columbia Fireflies, as you are now aware of....

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Good explanation above, to add to that

AAA pronounced "Triple A" is obviously more advanced than AA or "Double A". This is where blue chip prospects and prospects who are on step away from making the show are. You'll also find washed up major leaguers, fringe guys who bounce around between AAA and the bigs who are commonly known as "AAAA" or "Quadruple A" players. "too good" for AAA but not good enough for the majors. Think of it as the guy who goes PPG in the AHL but stuggles to score and stay in the lineup in the NHL. Think of Chris Terry for a hockey comp.

You won't generally find the veterans and fringe guys in Double A or Single A ball. Those are for prospects and younger fillers who are more far away in their development and what not.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

AAA pronounced "Triple A" is obviously more advanced than AA or "Double A". This is where blue chip prospects and prospects who are on step away from making the show are. You'll also find washed up major leaguers, fringe guys who bounce around between AAA and the bigs who are commonly known as "AAAA" or "Quadruple A" players. "too good" for AAA but not good enough for the majors. Think of it as the guy who goes PPG in the AHL but stuggles to score and stay in the lineup in the NHL. Think of Chris Terry for a hockey comp.

You won't generally find the veterans and fringe guys in Double A or Single A ball. Those are for prospects and younger fillers who are more far away in their development and what not.

To be fair though, sometimes even the blue chippers do their time in A Ball. Even Derek Jeter played in A Ball, for instance. Some teams will skip guys over A ball if they're particularly unhappy with the conditions in the A level affiliates (the Nationals, for instance, started Strasburg in Double-A because of the poor conditions in both their Low and High-A affiliates (Hagerstown and Potomac,

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

A lot of blue chippers spend more time in double than triple due to this, though. Harper and Trout both barely were in triple A if I remember right. I can see Vlad spending time there but I think Jays only put him there due to the media pressure to promote him and they don't want him up yet.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
A lot of blue chippers spend more time in double than triple due to this, though. Harper and Trout both barely were in triple A if I remember right. I can see Vlad spending time there but I think Jays only put him there due to the media pressure to promote him and they don't want him up yet.

Exactly. If you tear it up in AA as a hot prospect now you’re likely only spending a few weeks in AAA if you rake right off the bat getting there.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Is the rosin bag made from the same material string players in the orchestra use to rosin up their bows? (Yes, I was a former cellist. It was only a matter of time before I asked.)

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Is the rosin bag made from the same material string players in the orchestra use to rosin up their bows? (Yes, I was a former cellist. It was only a matter of time before I asked.)

The contents of the bag are, indeed, the same as the rosin you (and I for that matter) use(d) to rosin your bow, it's just already crushed into a powder as opposed to being in a cake, bar, puck, or block. Assuming you didn't use Goldflex (since y'know, there's no gold in a rosin bag).

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
2 questions regarding Game 163:

How is home field determined for them and why doesn't the MLB use head to head record as a tiebreaker like other leagues do?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
2 questions regarding Game 163:

How is home field determined for them and why doesn't the MLB use head to head record as a tiebreaker like other leagues do?

They do use head to head records... that’s literally what is used to determine HFA in game 163.

But if you mean why don’t they use H2H to determine the winner of the division I’d say because that’s s pretty shitty way to decide something so important when two teams are tied rather than play an extra game to see who takes it.

In baseball the difference between winning the division or being in the wild card game is waaaay more important than deciding who is the no. 2 or 3 seed in hockey.

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
New to baseball here but I was wondering how these rain delays work? The ChiSox got put on a 45min delay, will they hold another delay after those 45min? At what point does a game get cancelled ?

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
depends on the forecast.

this early in the season, the likelihood of a game getting straight up cancelled is probably zero. a game has to go 4.5 innings to be official. if it's not official yet and the rains come, they'll just start the game over. if it's official but the rains come and they can't finish today, they'll suspend it and pick it up tomorrow.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
New to baseball here but I was wondering how these rain delays work? The ChiSox got put on a 45min delay, will they hold another delay after those 45min? At what point does a game get cancelled ?

up to the umpires and usually based on the forecast and time of day. A 1 o'clock game will almost always have a longer leash before being postponed than a night game.

Another thing you'll see is games will push through weather that should be a rain delay if they're close to being official. A game is considered official either, at the end of the 5th inning if tied/road team winning or after the top of the 5th if the home team is winning.

Reactions: valeriammm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad