New to Baseball (Questions, etc)

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yeah, for example the Cardinals. Their hat logo, typically, is the intertwined STL. However, their actual logo is the birds on the bat. The birds on the bat would be too much for the hat. Even the Sunday cap only has a single bird

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
NBA has the worst branding of any league. I think 27 or so teams have a basketball in their logo.

That's because they have too.

NBA has rules were the teams primary (they call it "global") logo must have the city and team name in it. And that at least one logo in their logo set must have a basketball in it. It's dumb.

The ones who don't are ones that were grandfathered in before that rule went into place.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
historically, managers hit their best hitter third but there's plenty of research out there that shows that your second place hitter gets a few more ab per season and would do better to put him there.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Call this the Joey Votto question:

Why do some batters hit in one hand (no switch hitters) and throw with the other?

As someone who does this I feel I can explain it although I don't know if this is why all players do it, it's why I do it.

I'm left handed for everything except hitting, golfing and shooting in hockey. I am for the most part completely useless if I have to do anything with my right hand. So what do you do when you bat left handed? Your right hand is on the bottom of the bat where most of the control comes from. That does not feel at all natural or comfortable for me being so left hand dominant so the easy solution to that is to bat right handed so my dominant hand is on the bottom of the bat allowing me much more control and while I haven't measured, a seemingly much faster and more powerful swing.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
What's the concept of the "No Doubles" defense? (I hope MLB The Show 18 has this outfield defense shift in the game!)

You mean more singles? :sarcasm:

Managers use it so that a ball doesn't get over a defender's head late in a tie game. But that allows more shallow fly balls to drop, which is why I usually call it "more singles defense".

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Honest question, how come so many MLB logos look so similar? And why are all the uniforms exactly the same? Why aren't there more "unique" logos and uniforms like in other sports?

For example, the 2 teams that met in the last year's finals, Cleveland and the Cubs, have the same exact logo... a red "C".

Toronto, Houston, Oakland have their logo inside a circle with their team name written inside said circle.

Giants, Padres, Royals, Cards, LAD, Rockies, Mets, Yankees also have the same exact logo.

Most teams' baseball caps have just a letter or 2 on the front as a logo.

Why is it like this?

So I should have promoted this in this thread, but in light of this question I've launched a Tournament of Logos - we're three leagues in, but I encourage everybody to participate, both to check out the many logos of baseball but to participate (and hopefully break the 6-way tie currently going in the New York-Penn League :laugh:)

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
What are the rules about post deadline deals? Is it the same as the NHL where players can't play in the post-season? Thanks.

Yes, but it's based on the waiver deadline (8/31) not the non-waiver deadline (7/31).

As long as you're on a team's 40-man roster (or the DL) before September begins you are eligible.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Another roster rule question which I should know but honestly don't...with the Mets trading away 3-4 players they have several 40-man roster spots open, in some case for weeks.

Do these roster spots need to be filled before the season ends (for example September call-ups?) or is there no real deadline? At the moment the Mets have 35 players on their 40...there are 4 guys on the 60-day DL but they are not counted and I doubt the likes of Wright/Syndergaard will play this season

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm pretty sure that you don't need exactly 40 guys on the 40 man roster. But I could be wrong.

In order to be in the majors, the player must be on the 40 man roster, so in the case of September call-ups and the Rule 5 draft, it's very important. There is a deadline to protect players from the Rule 5 draft, but I don't think there's a deadline to put a player on the 40 man roster unless they wish to put a player on the playoff roster.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Another roster rule question which I should know but honestly don't...with the Mets trading away 3-4 players they have several 40-man roster spots open, in some case for weeks.

Do these roster spots need to be filled before the season ends (for example September call-ups?) or is there no real deadline? At the moment the Mets have 35 players on their 40...there are 4 guys on the 60-day DL but they are not counted and I doubt the likes of Wright/Syndergaard will play this season

No requirement on all 40 spots being filled at any point.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
What does it mean when they call something like a 6-4 double play (not sure of exact numbers)?

Each position is assigned a number. 6 is shortstop, 4 is second base so a 6-4 double play would be something like a runner is on second base, a line drive is hit to the shortstop and caught and the runner is doubled off second before he can get back by the second baseman who's covering.

1 pitcher
2 catcher
3 1st base
4 2nd base
5 3rd base
6 shortstop
7 left field
8 center field
9 right field

So a 5-4-3 double play would be a grounder to the 3rd baseman who throws to the 2nd baseman for the 1st out and the 2nd baseman throwing to the 1st baseman for the 2nd out.

Sometimes you get something like a 6-3-5-4-5-6 double play which is always fun.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
What does it mean when they call something like a 6-4 double play (not sure of exact numbers)?

A 6-4 double play is very rare. That's usually a line drive to the shortstop, and the runner on second base is doubled up by the second baseman covering.

Each defensive position is given a number to keep score.

1: pitcher
2: catcher
3: first baseman
4: second baseman
5: third baseman
6: shortstop
7: left fielder
8: center fielder
9: right fielder

Shifts are common now, so if the third baseman fields a ground ball where the shortstop usually plays, and he gets the guy at first, it still goes as 5-3.

Edit: Sniped... stupid phone. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->