New team in Trois-Rivières, Qc in 2020

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It's a 5-year agreement. And it will have the option to be renewed twice more for 5 years each time. For a potential 15 year partnership.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
They need to start calling the league the right name. It has only been the called the ECHL for 17 years. Then again, I doubt many Quebeckers have ever even heard of the league.

But until then, bienvenue à la East Coast Ligue! Tu devrait être très fier d'être ici!

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
They need to start calling the league the right name. It has only been the called the ECHL for 17 years. Then again, I doubt many Quebeckers have ever even heard of the league.

But until then, bienvenue à la East Coast Ligue! Tu devrait être très fier d'être ici!

The number of people, particularly in the field of hockey media, that have yet to pick up on the name is staggering.

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
Newfoundland Growlers owner signs agreement for new ECHL team in Quebec

Growlers staying put in St. John's, says Dean MacDonald

CBC News · Posted: Jul 10, 2020 11:42 AM NT | Last Updated: July 10
dean-macdonald-glenn-stanford.jpg

Dean MacDonald and Glenn Stanford, pictured here at the new arena under construction in Trois-Rivières in August of 2019, are another step closer to landing a second ECHL team. (Dean MacDonald/Twitter)
comments
Dean MacDonald is taking an unusual step in professional sports — he's going to own two teams in the same league, probably even the same division.
The St. John's businessman already owns the Newfoundland Growlers, and on Thursday it was announced he's also behind the ECHL's planned expansion to a city in Quebec.
MacDonald — along with his management group that includes his right-hand man in St. John's, Glenn Stanford — has signed an tentative agreement with the city council in Trois-Rivières, Que., to take over a new arena and bring in the ECHL.
It's likely the new team would be in the league's northern division, along with the only other two Canadian teams, and travel to St. John's often.
"Hopefully it creates a great rivalry," MacDonald said on Friday. "Let's be clear. I'm going to be cheering for the Growlers through and through."
growlers-win.jpg

The Newfoundland Growlers won the ECHL's Kelly Cup in the team's first season. (Newfoundland Growlers/Twitter)
When asked about any benefits the move would bring to the Growlers, MacDonald said it would cut down on the subsidy the Newfoundland team has to pay to bring other teams in to play.
The new team would likely be affiliated with the Montreal Canadiens, meaning MacDonald and Stanford's group would have ECHL affiliates for the Canadiens and the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Rumours have swirled around St. John's during tense negotiations between the Growlers and City of St. John's that MacDonald was shopping the franchise in Trois-Rivières.
Now with preliminary assurances in Quebec, MacDonald says the Growlers are staying put. The ECHL's board of governors will be voting on introducing a new franchise, he said, and not relocating his other team from St. John's.
MacDonald said he was able to get a good deal in Quebec, and that negotiating an agreement was easier than in St. John's, where his team's struggles were well known.
dean-macdonald.jpg

Growlers owner Dean MacDonald said having a second team in the same division has its advantages when it comes to travel costs. (Paula Gale/CBC)
It made it easier than the Quebec city has a new arena, and no experience running it. They've turned over the reins to MacDonald, giving him full control of events, promotions, and concessions.
The Growlers ownership group has been seeking a similar deal in St. John's to take control of Mile One Centre, but settled instead on a 10-year lease.
"We're bringing some energy and help to [Trois-Rivières], and we've struck a deal I would say the economy is certainly better for us because it gives us more avenues to make the economics work," MacDonald said.
The board of governors vote is expected to go well for Trois-Rivières whenever it goes ahead. The city hopes to ice a team by the beginning of the 2021-2022 season.

SOURCE: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newf...cdonald-growlers-trois-riviere-echl-1.5644643

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
So he's going to own 3 teams in the same league, and 2 in the same division. Interesting.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
When the league started Henry Brabham owned three of the five teams outright and had a partial interest in a fourth. The Royals were owned at one time by the Kings, who also owned the Reign, then were owned by Jack Gulati, who bought the Americans, owned both for a while, and now just owns Allen (which he bought from an owner who had at least two teams). There are many other examples through the years.

There used to be some shenanigans where an owner with two teams would make lopsided trades at the deadline from his team who wasn't making the playoffs to his team that was. That's why there is a rule that teams with common owners can't trade with each other.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
When the league started Henry Brabham owned three of the five teams outright and had a partial interest in a fourth. The Royals were owned at one time by the Kings, who also owned the Reign, then were owned by Jack Gulati, who bought the Americans, owned both for a while, and now just owns Allen (which he bought from an owner who had at least two teams). There are many other examples through the years.

There used to be some shenanigans where an owner with two teams would make lopsided trades at the deadline from his team who wasn't making the playoffs to his team that was. That's why there is a rule that teams with common owners can't trade with each other.

The Steven brothers owned 3 teams, and all 3 were in the same division.

I think I'm more surprised he's going forward with these 2 other teams, during today's economic climate regarding the virus and such. Than I am about an owner owning multiple teams.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The latest in the ECHL in Trois-Rivières:

1) The University team that was to co-habitate the arena with the ECHL team has opted out, meaning the ECHL team will be the only team there.

2) Zadarnowski had an interview with Dean MacDonald:

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I thought the whole purpose of this new arena was for the school to play and the ECHL was just added on. I dont understand why they would opt out of playing in a new building with better facilities just because they have to share for the 10 games or so that they would actually play there.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I thought the whole purpose of this new arena was for the school to play and the ECHL was just added on. I dont understand why they would opt out of playing in a new building with better facilities just because they have to share for the 10 games or so that they would actually play there.

The purpose was always to attract a team higher than UQTR. Various plans included Montréal's ECHL affiliate, a Québec City AHL affiliate should they ever return, or for a QMJHL team. They correctly deduced "build it and they will come."

They would opt out because the ECHL team would take the most prime home dates, no small number since they have about 35 home dates to fill and UQTR will have at least 15 as well, and to my knowledge their limited facilities mean they can only comfortably host one team. I am certain the building plans only include one dedicated locker room still, for one reason or another. Having an arena to themselves, choosing the best dates, and not having to share meager resources is certainly the better option for UQTR.

Reactions: Roadhog

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
The purpose was always to attract a team higher than UQTR. Various plans included Montréal's ECHL affiliate, a Québec City AHL affiliate should they ever return, or for a QMJHL team. They correctly deduced "build it and they will come."

They would opt out because the ECHL team would take the most prime home dates, no small number since they have about 35 home dates to fill and UQTR will have at least 15 as well, and to my knowledge their limited facilities mean they can only comfortably host one team. I am certain the building plans only include one dedicated locker room still, for one reason or another. Having an arena to themselves, choosing the best dates, and not having to share meager resources is certainly the better option for UQTR.
I believe the revised plan, and the increased costs associated with it, that were mentioned above, included an additional set of locker rooms, so that the college team and ECHL team could each have dedicated facilities.

It could have come down to who got priority in choosing home dates, or maybe it was the lack of availability for practice. The college team could have felt that if they had to use the old building for practice and the new arena for games, they would rather just stay in the old building full time.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->