New Suspension Format

Arcturos

Dec 29, 2014
First post. So be kind!

My idea is that there is a +1 game suspension to be served against the team that was offended against.

For example:

Let's say Alexandre Burrows gets a 2 game suspension for slashing Patrick Kane across the arm. He then gets suspended his next two games with an additional 1 game suspension to be served against his next scheduled game against the Blackhawks. Note: if one of those next two games happens to be against the Blackhawks it would not count as his additional game suspension.

Why?

1. When someone does an offense there needs to be justice (the suspension) and recompense (additional suspension to be served against specific team...that is also your word of the day!)

2. What benefit do the Blackhawks get with the Canucks being down a man? Especially when they could be down a man themselves. In fact. They may want him to be in the lineup

Questions? Comments? Positive or negative feedback?

PS: I am a canucks fan. I used this specific example to make sure I wouldn't play favourites!

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
What if the player is injured a month down the road when the teams were supposed to meet.

Does he simply get docked his pay and suspension is deemed complete, or does it carry over.

What if the teams do not play each other the rest of the season? does the +1 carry over to the next season?

What if it does carry over but in the offseason, said player moves teams, does he still miss the game vs the team he offended and the new team is punished?

What if he moves to the team he offended, does he still have to miss the +1?

Arcturos

Dec 29, 2014
What if the player is injured a month down the road when the teams were supposed to meet.

Does he simply get docked his pay and suspension is deemed complete, or does it carry over.

What if the teams do not play each other the rest of the season? does the +1 carry over to the next season?

What if it does carry over but in the offseason, said player moves teams, does he still miss the game vs the team he offended and the new team is punished?

What if he moves to the team he offended, does he still have to miss the +1?

I would say that regardless of the offending players situation the next time he is scheduled to play against that team he has to serve his suspension. The only problem I could see is if he moved to that team like you said. I'm not sure then. Maybe he has to just miss his next game? I didn't think of that situation

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
The only suspension deterrent or change i've ever really been on board with is fining coaches/teams along with the player being suspended IF it is repeat offender. Starts light but becomes more severe depending on the number of offences by that particular player.

Would make coaches and management think more carefully about when/how much they deploy certain players. Also holds them accountable for who they employ. Could help bump some of the dirty players out of the game

Nynja*

The problem with fines is theyre so minor, who cares really? A player making 800k (league minimum?) still gets about 9500 per game (less after taxes, which vary by city). A 2000 fine isnt much, especially to those who are making 15/20k per game.

Fines should be limited to off-ice conduct or non-hockey related things (flipping off fans).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->