New Skates

Blindsided

Jul 2, 2006
at the rink
I am looking for a new pair of skates to use for this upcoming season. Last year i used a cheap pair of Sher-wood skates that was good for a first pair. I was thinking of trying to get either the CCM Vector 4.0, Easton Synergy 500 or the new NikeBauer Vapor XII skates. The main thing i want out of them is a good fit and comfort. Does anybody use these or have advice on a pair that i should be looking at?

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
I am looking for a new pair of skates to use for this upcoming season. Last year i used a cheap pair of Sher-wood skates that was good for a first pair. I was thinking of trying to get either the CCM Vector 4.0, Easton Synergy 500 or the new NikeBauer XII skates. The main thing i want out of them is a good fit and comfort. Does anybody use these or have advice on a pair that i should be looking at?

I have the 6.0, I like em, good stiffness but fair warning they do take awhile to break in, at least for me they did, and I skated at least twice a week. I've used Bauers and I don't like em much but thats just me.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Try on everything and buy what fits your foot the best. You really can't go by somebody elses recommendation because every skate will fit your foot differently. I've heard alot of good things about the Vectors, but I could never wear them.

I for example can only wear Bauer. I've tried everything, CCM, Graf, Easton, ect. and always end up wearing something made from Bauer.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Like someone said..try them. Brands fit diff and even lines within a brand can fit diff. But your looking at some lower level skates, they might wind up like ur Sherwoods after a short while so buy as much as you can afford cause it'll be well worth it in the long run.

spoon*

If that's your price range, I would take the new Vapors. From what I hear, they're comfortable and light.

But make sure that you try everything that you consider buying...

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I just bought a pair of Stealth's and didn't have to bake them, no break in time. If I try on other brands of skates as soon as I put them on they hurt. If I try on older pairs of Easton's they hurt, so only specific skates from Easton hurt my feet. Have also had comfortable skates from Mission and Nike. Feet are very different person to person so I wouldn't go on price, looks or brand-like everybody else says comfort should be the top priority. And make sure you wear the socks you're going to wear when you play hockey when you try them on, the difference between a tube sock and a Synergy sock could be a half size or more in a skate.

xeric716x

Born To Expire
Jun 20, 2006
New Jack City
www.facebook.com
I just bought a pair of Stealth's and didn't have to bake them, no break in time. If I try on other brands of skates as soon as I put them on they hurt. If I try on older pairs of Easton's they hurt, so only specific skates from Easton hurt my feet. Have also had comfortable skates from Mission and Nike. Feet are very different person to person so I wouldn't go on price, looks or brand-like everybody else says comfort should be the top priority. And make sure you wear the socks you're going to wear when you play hockey when you try them on, the difference between a tube sock and a Synergy sock could be a half size or more in a skate.

agreed. i got a pair of CCM's because everyone was hyping them so bad and i hated them. the break in for them took forever and they always seemed to hurt my feet. i went back to Bauer and just got a pair of XXV.

Blindsided

Jul 2, 2006
at the rink
I will try to keep everyone's advice in mind. I dont have a lot of money to spend but i think investing in a good pair is important. This weekend i have to go to the ice rink to get new uniforms for my team so while im there i'll probably try on some of their skates to see what i like.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I will try to keep everyone's advice in mind. I dont have a lot of money to spend but i think investing in a good pair is important. This weekend i have to go to the ice rink to get new uniforms for my team so while im there i'll probably try on some of their skates to see what i like.

You should also notice a difference in weight between the high end skates and the low end skates. But, there are some cheap skates that aren't that heavy compared to price. I would also look into last years models. Some of the super expenisive stuff is cheap now because the stores need to get rid of it.

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
I would also look into last years models. Some of the super expenisive stuff is cheap now because the stores need to get rid of it.

That is excellent advice. I got a pair of 2003 model year CCM 1052 SuperTacks in 2005 for around $125. These were $400 skates in 2003 and were one of the skates to have that year. They were an odd 1/2 size whcih is actually what I needed. i was wearing a size 8 and really needed a 7 1/2 so I lucked out all the around.

don't be shy to hagle with the pro shop manager. I saw these skates sitting aournd through a couple close out/sidewalk sales and finally asked what they'd sell them for. He initially said he'd give me 25% off which is a joke. I said thanks and started to walk out the door. When all was said and done I got 75% off.

Blindsided

Jul 2, 2006
at the rink
I wanted to thank everyone for the advice you gave me. I got my new skates today and the fit is wonderful and at a good price too. I got the Rbk 5K Pumps for $170, which that wasnt a skate that i was originally looking at but they fit my foot perfectly and there wasnt any discomfort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->