Equipment: New skates, heel hurting

Puck93

Jun 23, 2014
Got new roller hockey skates (Bauer Vapor X500R) this week and played yesterday for the first time with them. Now i know new skates are suppose to hurt a bit at the beggining, but i have a really strong pain below ankle, skate pressuring on my bone. Everything is fine except this. Im wondering is this something that will get better with time or is it becouse i bought the wrong width?

Im attaching picture, to show you where my foot is hurting

Puck93

Jun 23, 2014
I can skate for 15-20 min then pain starts to build up and have to untie my skates.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Hmm... I had something similar happen to me way back when with my Vapor XXX ice skates. I made the mistake of trying to play through it and break-in the skates. I ended up with calcium buildup exactly where your picture indicates.

I addressed the problem by getting Bunga gel pads from my local hockey store. They also have a website

bungapadachillesheelpad.jpg

Puck93

Jun 23, 2014
How about if i try baking them, will this solve the problem. Thx for advice

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Baking? I'm not sure if this will help or not. I don't know much about baking other than it's supposed to improve the fit. You could give baking a try and see if it helps. If it doesn't, then try the Bunga pads. Cause the pads are a bit pricey, around $30 each foot.

Puck93

Jun 23, 2014
i personaly never baked skates before, but as far as i know, you can make skates a little bit wider, if you step on your foot, right after you baked them.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
They might work. Never used them, so I can't vouch for their effectiveness.

But I do use their lace bite pads, and I've tried their ankle pads, so I'm assuming they're made from the same/similar material. If so, the elite hockey gel is a bit firmer. The Bunga pads are really soft, almost jello like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad