Equipment: New Skater looking for tips for wide feet.

Newblet

Nov 8, 2018
Hello everyone!

I'm a beginner (although in my 20's) who just wants to learn to skate properly/better for fun. I have wide feet and have been to the only pro-shop where I live and tried on a bunch of Bauer skates. Unfortunately they stopped stocking CCM last month but will do so again in a few.

On the Bauer feet measuring tool, I measured 7.5 US on both feet. I tried on Vapor, Supreme and Nexus skates, between sizes 5-8. 5 was simply too small, while 8 was way too long. The most comfortable (and perfect fit) for me was the Nexus 7000 6.0 EE. Unfortunately they are way out of my budget at around 300$ on special. The only problem I had with the Nexus was my ankles were too thin (they wobble left/right when I walked). I heard that the CCM Tacks line were similar to the Nexus in that they are a wider fit, which is what I needed.

I have more stock with retailers online that are able to deliver to me, so my question is this: Would you recommend CCM Tacks 9040 6.5 with the information I've given above? I assume since it's a cheaper line they don't offer width sizes like D, E, EE. If not, what other recommendations would you have?

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: I can't link the online store I can purchase from, but it's icemonster.com.au senior skates.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Hello everyone!

I'm a beginner (although in my 20's) who just wants to learn to skate properly/better for fun. I have wide feet and have been to the only pro-shop where I live and tried on a bunch of Bauer skates. Unfortunately they stopped stocking CCM last month but will do so again in a few.

On the Bauer feet measuring tool, I measured 7.5 US on both feet. I tried on Vapor, Supreme and Nexus skates, between sizes 5-8. 5 was simply too small, while 8 was way too long. The most comfortable (and perfect fit) for me was the Nexus 7000 6.0 EE. Unfortunately they are way out of my budget at around 300$ on special. The only problem I had with the Nexus was my ankles were too thin (they wobble left/right when I walked). I heard that the CCM Tacks line were similar to the Nexus in that they are a wider fit, which is what I needed.

I have more stock with retailers online that are able to deliver to me, so my question is this: Would you recommend CCM Tacks 9040 6.5 with the information I've given above? I assume since it's a cheaper line they don't offer width sizes like D, E, EE. If not, what other recommendations would you have?

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: I can't link the online store I can purchase from, but it's icemonster.com.au senior skates.

My advice is don't buy anything online that you can't wear and try on in a retail store. There is no way of knowing how the CCM Tacks 9040 in a 6 and a half will fit you unless you put them on. The only caveat to this is if they have a return policy where you could send them back if they don't fit well.

Reactions: Newblet

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
From what I 've heard, people with wider feet like the fit of the Tacks line generally and CCM itself says so too.

But we have no clue how you'll like the fit of that skate specifically.

Newblet

Nov 8, 2018
My advice is don't buy anything online that you can't wear and try on in a retail store. There is no way of knowing how the CCM Tacks 9040 in a 6 and a half will fit you unless you put them on. The only caveat to this is if they have a return policy where you could send them back if they don't fit well.
Unfortunately anything I can afford didn't feel good on the feet. Although by the time I'm ready to get a pair another sale might come! Fortunately, the online store has a decent return policy.. not a refund policy, but I can exchange sizes at the cost of the delivery fee(s).

From what I 've heard, people with wider feet like the fit of the Tacks line generally and CCM itself says so too.

But we have no clue how you'll like the fit of that skate specifically.

That's what I've heard as well! So I hope if I do try the Tacks it goes well. At least they have a decent return policy!

Thanks to the both of you for the opinions/suggestions :) I haven't quite made my mind up yet but I'll keep this updated incase anyone else is in or gets into a similar situation.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
If double Es in Nexus are your perfect width, I'm not sure Tacks will be any better. A Nexus D is like a EE in most other skates.

Don't know what your budget is, but IMHO, if you've found a skate that fits you perfect, it might be worth your while to save up for it. I don't know how much delivery is back and forth for the online retailer you're looking at, but imagine the cost of having to do it 3-5 times. Checking Hockey Monkey, they say it's $10 to ship to the customer within he US, which I assume it means $10 more to ship back to them for an exchange. So it's at least $20 a pop just to try on a skate, which can add up pretty quick. Imagine blowing $100 just on shipping and still not finding a skate that fits you right.

Just something to think about.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
You want to make sure that you get a good heel lock in the Nexus. I also loved them, apart from the absence of heel lock which ruled them out. That is because Nexus are wide at the heel as well as the toes. It might be worth you tracing your feet onto paper to work out the general shape. Nexus may well be ideal for you as long as you get the heel lock. And in general it is best to buy from a bricks and mortar store where you try them on, assuming knowledgeable staff. Sadly some staff in some shops are muppets.

Newblet

Nov 8, 2018
If double Es in Nexus are your perfect width, I'm not sure Tacks will be any better. A Nexus D is like a EE in most other skates.

Don't know what your budget is, but IMHO, if you've found a skate that fits you perfect, it might be worth your while to save up for it. I don't know how much delivery is back and forth for the online retailer you're looking at, but imagine the cost of having to do it 3-5 times. Checking Hockey Monkey, they say it's $10 to ship to the customer within he US, which I assume it means $10 more to ship back to them for an exchange. So it's at least $20 a pop just to try on a skate, which can add up pretty quick. Imagine blowing $100 just on shipping and still not finding a skate that fits you right.

Just something to think about.

While they were the most comfortable in terms of width, the ankle was definitely a problem. That on top of the fact that the sale ends very soon, as it's a clearance model and will go back up to 400$ which is more than double my budget (150). Not saying I can't save up for it, but it seems to be a massive overkill for a beginner who wants to skate on the occasion once every week or so. Yep! Shipping is 10$ here and 10$ back so 20$ to get a return pair. Really I would only need to test two sizes, 6.5 and 7. When I tried a Bauer Vapor in 6.5 in store it felt great in all areas but slightly too tight at the forefoot, so I thought the wider CCM Tacks would cover that part. I also heard that they're bake-able so it would become an even better fit. Even if it was slightly too tight still - would a bit of forefoot discomfort cause that many issues? In comparison with a loose/wombly heel or ankle area. I got really sick of the rental skates for multiple reasons, one being the inconsistent tightness around my forefoot for the same size. Thanks for the insight! Realistic responses like everyone's here are the reason I decided to ask especially when I'm weighing between a physical and online store.
You want to make sure that you get a good heel lock in the Nexus. I also loved them, apart from the absence of heel lock which ruled them out. That is because Nexus are wide at the heel as well as the toes. It might be worth you tracing your feet onto paper to work out the general shape. Nexus may well be ideal for you as long as you get the heel lock. And in general it is best to buy from a bricks and mortar store where you try them on, assuming knowledgeable staff. Sadly some staff in some shops are muppets.

For sure, I agree about always buying locally so I can try them on. If only they still stocked CCM ): Yep, if I'm understanding correctly I believe I have heel lock (it doesn't slide back and forth due to length right?), but I do have a super wobbly ankle in them. Even as tight as I could get them, when walking it was easily bending my ankles left and right. This is probably also because I don't have the developed ankle strength yet for ice skating, but even in the proper sized rental skates I don't have this wobbling. When I tried two sizes up to remove feet discomfort on the rentals, the wobbling was extreme (similar to the Nexus) and I could not skate at all.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
When I tried a Bauer Vapor in 6.5 in store it felt great in all areas but slightly too tight at the forefoot, so I thought the wider CCM Tacks would cover that part. I also heard that they're bake-able so it would become an even better fit. Even if it was slightly too tight still - would a bit of forefoot discomfort cause that many issues? In comparison with a loose/wombly heel or ankle area.

As Leif mentioned, one of the most important things is heel lock. What that means is that your heel doesn't lift up like you're wearing a pair of flip-flops or move side-to-side. If you don't have heel lock, you'll be lucky if the only thing you get from your ill-fitting skates is blisters, but realistically, it can lead to a serious foot condition called Haglund's deformity. What happens is the rubbing of the skate causes a boney growth on your heel area that can cause you all sorts of pain, and the only way to get rid of it is with an operation.

As for a bit of fore foot discomfort, it depends on the type of discomfort. A little tightness may go away as the skate ages. But sometimes that little discomfort can turn into something big. Bare with me on this. For example, marathon runners place tape over their nipples to protect them, because if they don't, just the light rubbing of their shirts bouncing with each step over the course of 28 miles will chafe their skin so bad it will cause their nipples to bleed. No joke.

Think of that when you think of tightness in the skates. Does anything kind of dig into your foot even a little bit? Does anything feel like it's going to rub? Imagine that digging and rubbing happening a few hundred times over the course of a skate, so be careful about what's acceptable for you and what's not. Sometimes, all that needs to be done to fix things is to have the area stretched out at the shop or to have a little padding added to the area. Other times, it's just the beginning of issues if you didn't choose well with your skates.

One thing I do to help me out with my skate decisions is when I think I've found a winner, I put on the skate, tie them up as if I was going skating, and leave them on for at least 15 minutes, ideally longer. While I'm doing this, from time-to-time, I'll crouch and shift my weight from sided to side like I'm skating. The reason I do this is because, it gives me a better feel of what the skate will really feel like on the ice. The time lets my body heat warm up the liner, and it will compress a little, so there's not as much as that new skate fluffiness to the feel.

With less of that new skate fluffiness, moving around in the skate will give me a better indication on where the serious pressure points may be. It's not exact, but for me, it's more information for the decision making process.

Oh and finally, sometimes the side-to-side wobbliness in a new skate can be attributed to the new skate being too stiff to wrap around your ankles properly, so it feels like there's not enough lateral support.

Any way, I think I've babbled enough. Hopefully some of this is useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeifUK and Newblet

Newblet

Nov 8, 2018
As Leif mentioned, one of the most important things is heel lock. What that means is that your heel doesn't lift up like you're wearing a pair of flip-flops or move side-to-side. If you don't have heel lock, you'll be lucky if the only thing you get from your ill-fitting skates is blisters, but realistically, it can lead to a serious foot condition called Haglund's deformity. What happens is the rubbing of the skate causes a boney growth on your heel area that can cause you all sorts of pain, and the only way to get rid of it is with an operation.

As for a bit of fore foot discomfort, it depends on the type of discomfort. A little tightness may go away as the skate ages. But sometimes that little discomfort can turn into something big. Bare with me on this. For example, marathon runners place tape over their nipples to protect them, because if they don't, just the light rubbing of their shirts bouncing with each step over the course of 28 miles will chafe their skin so bad it will cause their nipples to bleed. No joke.

Think of that when you think of tightness in the skates. Does anything kind of dig into your foot even a little bit? Does anything feel like it's going to rub? Imagine that digging and rubbing happening a few hundred times over the course of a skate, so be careful about what's acceptable for you and what's not. Sometimes, all that needs to be done to fix things is to have the area stretched out at the shop or to have a little padding added to the area. Other times, it's just the beginning of issues if you didn't choose well with your skates.

One thing I do to help me out with my skate decisions is when I think I've found a winner, I put on the skate, tie them up as if I was going skating, and leave them on for at least 15 minutes, ideally longer. While I'm doing this, from time-to-time, I'll crouch and shift my weight from sided to side like I'm skating. The reason I do this is because, it gives me a better feel of what the skate will really feel like on the ice. The time lets my body heat warm up the liner, and it will compress a little, so there's not as much as that new skate fluffiness to the feel.

With less of that new skate fluffiness, moving around in the skate will give me a better indication on where the serious pressure points may be. It's not exact, but for me, it's more information for the decision making process.

Oh and finally, sometimes the side-to-side wobbliness in a new skate can be attributed to the new skate being too stiff to wrap around your ankles properly, so it feels like there's not enough lateral support.

Any way, I think I've babbled enough. Hopefully some of this is useful.

Interesting! What you described about heel-lock is exactly what I was feeling. I realised I forgot to include the following: I have a wide forefoot, and a "normal" or standard ankle/heel. I have flat feet and a moderate to high arch. Although your examples are extreme, they're also a fair possibility and the safest route is the best route.

With the discomfort, I can definitely say it's not "digging in". It just feels constricted or tight. I can still wriggle very very slightly, but that would cause even more discomfort as I'm pushing into the tight areas around my forefoot.

I did that with the Nexus 7000 6 EE's actually! The retailer/lady working there pretty much told me to do exactly that.That's when I got more worried about the wobbling as it didn't seem to get better. I think with all the help everyone has given me, I will go and try out a pair of 6.5 CCM Tacks 9040's and see how I go from there. Thank you!

Reactions: puckpilot

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
It sounds like Nexus would have too wide a heel for you. This is my Bauer scan which might give you an idea of skate fit:

Volumental

There are others online too.

Newblet

Nov 8, 2018
It sounds like Nexus would have too wide a heel for you. This is my Bauer scan which might give you an idea of skate fit:

Volumental

There are others online too.
Wow that's really cool! Thanks for linking your scan.

I believe that is the case! The heel is just too wide as I have a standard heel/ankle. I was wrong about my arch before! Since I have flat feet I would say I have a low arch, EE width, medium heel depth, medium instep height (I thought this was arch, I got confused), a short ankle wrap and a medium forefoot height. Quite similar to yours minus the forefoot height and arch!

How do you find the Nexus for your size of feet, and what size do you actually wear? Since mine measured 7.5 but I am looking at 6.0's, I'm not sure how accurate it really is haha. Thanks again!

Reactions: LeifUK

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
I currently wear Supreme S160 7EE which are comfortable. My U.K. shoe size is 9. I was fitted without the scan two years ago, and the Supreme was the best fit, Vapor failed the pencil test, Nexus did not lock my heels. I have ordered a custom Supreme 2S. The Vapor was the ‘correct fit’ going by the scan but stock Vapors cramped my toes. Most feet tend to look like pasties, mine are like duck’s feet. I read internet guides to skate fitting, and went to a LHS with good staff. Sounds like you are Vapor or maybe Supreme. Not sure arch is relevant, I have speed plates anyway, highly recommended as they stabilise and support your feet.

Newblet

Nov 8, 2018
I currently wear Supreme S160 7EE which are comfortable. My U.K. shoe size is 9. I was fitted without the scan two years ago, and the Supreme was the best fit, Vapor failed the pencil test, Nexus did not lock my heels. I have ordered a custom Supreme 2S. The Vapor was the ‘correct fit’ going by the scan but stock Vapors cramped my toes. Most feet tend to look like pasties, mine are like duck’s feet. I read internet guides to skate fitting, and went to a LHS with good staff. Sounds like you are Vapor or maybe Supreme. Not sure arch is relevant, I have speed plates anyway, highly recommended as they stabilise and support your feet.

Interesting! Due to my wide feet I wear 10.5 US so that's close to yours, although it tends to be a slight bit too long. I tried a pair of vapors @ 6.5 but they were way too tight around the forefoot. The supreme s140's @ size 7 were better but it failed the two-finger test. I'm still looking to get the Tacks, but if they don't fit too well I'll look at saving up for a mid range Supremes that have EE width sizing!

As for the speed plates they look good! I've heard about them everywhere and they look like a good idea. Maybe when I get more practice and have the available budget. Thanks for the info and all the suggestions!

Reactions: LeifUK

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Have you looked on eBay or Sidelineswap for some Bauer Nexus in the size your looking for? You might be able to find some in your budget, one thing you can do to get better heal lock is after backing them. Wrap the ankle area with ace wrap or try a clamp to tighten up the ankle and possible give you a better lock. You might have to get someone to assist you on that.

I went from Bauer Nexus to CCM Tacks. While neither fit my goofy shaped feet the sizes were both the same (12 EE).

Newblet

Nov 8, 2018
Have you looked on eBay or Sidelineswap for some Bauer Nexus in the size your looking for? You might be able to find some in your budget, one thing you can do to get better heal lock is after backing them. Wrap the ankle area with ace wrap or try a clamp to tighten up the ankle and possible give you a better lock. You might have to get someone to assist you on that.

I went from Bauer Nexus to CCM Tacks. While neither fit my goofy shaped feet the sizes were both the same (12 EE).
Hey Piggy!

I have indeed looked on eBay, and unfortunately there aren't any second hand ones that have a good price. I can find some brand new Nexus Elite's in my size, but due to the shipping costs it ends up being a lot more than I can afford. I believe Sidelineswap isn't available for me as I live in Australia. As for baking, I was thinking that too! I heard the Tacks can be baked, so that might help me out as well.

That's good to know! The sizes being the same, I mean. Thanks for the information Piggy!

Reactions: PiggySmalls

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad