New skate question!

EliasFan

Feb 3, 2007
Amherstview, Ontario
I have a couple of questions about a new pair of skates I just bought. (Bauer Vapor X:60's) Just a little background into how much I play. I play at least 2-3 times a week in a mens 30+ league, and an Old-Timers 35+ league, so I'm not a beginner by any stretch! LOL.

My questions are basically....

1. With the new Bauers I got, is it essential to get them heat molded? Or can you break them in eventually? Will heating them cause the skate to wear out faster? My old skates were Easton Z-Air's, and I do not remember getting them heated. Not even sure that was an option years ago, lol.

2. I had my old skates profiled when I bought them, is this something else that is needed? The profile my pro shop put on them was basically a forward style profiling. There was a degree to the profiling, but I can't remember exactly what it was. 7/8 or something like that.

3. Lastly, what type of sharpening would you recommend? I never really knew about this until I read the other thread about this on this forum. Every time I have gotten my skates sharpened over the past 10-15 years, they just take my skates and sharpen them. I really had no idea there were different ratios/fractions whatever of type of sharpness. What is the standard? (which I assume I have had) and what do the different types do for you? The other thread mentioned 1/2, 5/8, 7/16, 11/16 etc. What is the difference between them. I'm a pretty decent skater, but I always feel I top out at a certain speed. No matter how much harder I push/stride, I can't go faster.

Sorry to be long winded, just really looking for some opinions, I'd like to get my new skates dialed in!! :yo:

Logie

Apr 20, 2011
Wales [UK]
Regarding question 1, its not needed to bake them, it just an option of speading up the process. Or, if you have a wider foot then the other, heat molding might help with getting the right fit for both feet sooner, prevent any discomfort playing

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
1. With the new Bauers I got, is it essential to get them heat molded? Or can you break them in eventually? Will heating them cause the skate to wear out faster? My old skates were Easton Z-Air's, and I do not remember getting them heated. Not even sure that was an option years ago, lol.

2. I had my old skates profiled when I bought them, is this something else that is needed? The profile my pro shop put on them was basically a forward style profiling. There was a degree to the profiling, but I can't remember exactly what it was. 7/8 or something like that.

3. Lastly, what type of sharpening would you recommend? I never really knew about this until I read the other thread about this on this forum. Every time I have gotten my skates sharpened over the past 10-15 years, they just take my skates and sharpen them. I really had no idea there were different ratios/fractions whatever of type of sharpness. What is the standard? (which I assume I have had) and what do the different types do for you? The other thread mentioned 1/2, 5/8, 7/16, 11/16 etc. What is the difference between them. I'm a pretty decent skater, but I always feel I top out at a certain speed. No matter how much harder I push/stride, I can't go faster.

Sorry to be long winded, just really looking for some opinions, I'd like to get my new skates dialed in!! :yo:

1 : Like Logie said, they speed up the process. They don't break down the boot because the newer materials in today's upper/mid end skates are all designed to be heat mouldable. Since bakings come free with a skate purchase, why not bake them?

2: Profiling, not pitch right? Profiling comes in 9' , 11', 13' etc. Lower the range the more rockered the steel is. There is no such thing as a 'forward' profiling, it's more personal preference.

3: Most and I stress MOST shops give 1/2 " as their standard, so that's what you would've gotten. Moving deeper has 7/16, 3/8 etc. which gives more bite and less glide. Moving shallower has 9/16, 5/8 etc. which gives less bite but more glide. If you've been on 1/2s for so long, you could try other cuts to find out which one you like best.

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH
Definetly get them heat molded. Its going to speed up the breaking-in process and make them fit better than if they werent molded.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Get them baked. When I got mine I had a game 2 days later. It was against a crappy team so I wore them for ***** and giggles but brought my old pair just in case. Didn't even need my old pair. I wore them 2 days after purchase and they felt perfect.

As far as sharpening goes, test out the different kinds and see what you like.

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
I too am having huge problems with skates...

I am using Easton 1100s, which are getting old and I can tell tired (too flexible)

Now... being that I had eastons and a strangely wide foot... I tried to get another pair, being a pair of new old stock S15!

I use 5/8's grind and I think an 11foot or (standard) radius

My feet are 10" and I use 8.5 W eastons, but this is the problem is my feet hurt:
8.5 R are tightish and my toe rubs and I can't use em
8.5W maybe a bit wide (I have to really tightem down) and fits my toes but the Archs KILL ME
9 R are too long, and I don't like having a 280mm holder compared to the 272...

thing is... do I tolerate the pain? I've heat molded them 3 times, and the area on the inside part of my Arch KILLS.... along with that, this is the worst tongue bite I've felt... I literially have blisters that own't heal unless I keep from skating for over a week.

but I think I hvae the same problems with all skates, Bauer's are way too narrow, the Graf's 735's that should fit don't, and I have yet to try RBK.

but should I just keep grinding it out and will my feet and skates eventually break in?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

I am using Easton 1100s, which are getting old and I can tell tired (too flexible)

Now... being that I had eastons and a strangely wide foot... I tried to get another pair, being a pair of new old stock S15!

My feet are 10" and I use 8.5 W eastons, but this is the problem is my feet hurt:
8.5W maybe a bit wide (I have to really tightem down) and fits my toes but the Archs KILL ME

thing is... do I tolerate the pain? I've heat molded them 3 times, and the area on the inside part of my Arch KILLS.... along with that, this is the worst tongue bite I've felt... I literially have blisters that own't heal unless I keep from skating for over a week.

but I think I hvae the same problems with all skates, Bauer's are way too narrow, the Graf's 735's that should fit don't, and I have yet to try RBK.

but should I just keep grinding it out and will my feet and skates eventually break in?

They won't break in after that long. I have the exact same skate in the exact same size btw so what I would recommend are these guys :

http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3723553

Gooseamania

May 6, 2011
East Lyme, CT

I tend not to get TOO involved with the radius or different types of sharpening (and i am not knocking it at all). However, I do feel like i could pass on some valuable information to you about skates. I too have had issues with bauer skates being too narrow for my foot, aside from my 1 experience trying out bauer skates I have been a loyal reebok skates guy for both ice and inline. I HIGHLY recommend trying RBK's, they are the most comfortable skates out of the box AND they are naturally wider than other brands of skates so you don't have to compensate for a wider foot by getting E or EE width skates.

Gooseamania

May 6, 2011
East Lyme, CT
oh and I almost forgot, take AIREAYE's advice and invest in some yellow superfeet to replace your stock insoles. I just got some last month and you will notice an immediate difference.

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
They won't break in after that long. I have the exact same skate in the exact same size btw so what I would recommend are these guys :

http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3723553

even though I think its the arch, I don't think its the liner, but rather the boot where its crushing my feet...
my feet really are like a equalaterial triangle from the heel, and both the heel and the outside of the foot kills... AND I'm getting terrible lace bite... u? i hear its common as the tongue isn't felt.

Fred89

Jun 8, 2011
Milan
Probably the solution are custom skates (atleast for feet width) so you can ask for a wide toe box and a medium-narrow heel..

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
even though I think its the arch, I don't think its the liner, but rather the boot where its crushing my feet...
my feet really are like a equalaterial triangle from the heel, and both the heel and the outside of the foot kills... AND I'm getting terrible lace bite... u? i hear its common as the tongue isn't felt.

No, no lacebite for me, perhaps the boot itself is too shallow for you?

Superfeet isn't just another footbed, it's a support product. I'm going to make an educated guess that the reason why your heel and outside part of your feet hurt is because they have no heel/arch support.

Without Superfeet, your foot splays outward, subjecting the heel and to a greater extent, the main foot to more pressure from the outsides of the boot.

With Superfeet, your arch is supported properly and won't splay outwards, allowing for more comfort and even greater skating performance.

Even if you don't like it, you'll have 30 days to get your money back :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq80bGApaf0

I don't use Superfeet myself, but I intend to give it a try soon

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
managed to return the eastons's...

my feet are too wide and thick which definately doesn't work with a shallow boot...

ended up getting a Rbk 9k for the same price and I haven't heat molded it yet, but it was termendously better than the easton out of the box.

No lace bite, and the only pain was just on the outer side of the foot, so the heal size is good... I do find that the heel felt loose in comparison, but eventually I got used to it.

Its so different going from skate to skate, it was like learning how to skate every time I put a new pair on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->