Value of: New Seidenberg or Ehrhoff deals?

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
Seidenberg: I find it fairly realistic that Seidenberg will get a new deal done somewhere in the NHL. Sure, he had major injury problems with his knees and all in the last years, but if healthy, he can still be pretty solid stay-at-home D at a lower price. Maybe an option for a contender with a need of a veteran with a ring?

Ehrhoff: I'm pretty sure that Ehrhoff is done in the NHL because he said that he's probably not interested to be a #7 or #8 defenseman for another year, not even in the NHL. But his career went downhill pretty fast two years ago, and this is his only chance if he actually wants to return to North America.
In my opinion his career was cut short because of his concussion problems a while back (don't know exactly when it happened, but I think it were two years from now). He never really recovered but was even more anxious and shying away from contact and made more defensive mistakes. Do you still see a chance for him to get back at the NHL level?

What do you guys think in each cases?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I thought that Ehrhoff had a solid world championship. I thought that might keep him in the NHL another year.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
I thought that Ehrhoff had a solid world championship. I thought that might keep him in the NHL another year.

If I remember correctly his world championship performance was ok. Not really great, one goal in eight games...

He might have a chance if a team is really desperate for a guy who can run the PP and has a good shot from the point. I still don't understand why he never was used on the PP under Johnston in Pittsburgh. He might have a better value now with more points in his last two years.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Liked Errors performance at the worlds too.

But his NHL career is probably over, but who else can shoot through a skate? :laugh:

Hope for Seidenberg to get another shot though.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think if Seidenberg will accept a bit less money on a 1 year deal, he'd be accepted happily by a team as a bottom 4 guy.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Seidenberg will have offers. Whether he takes them or not is another discussion.

Ehrhoff may be done. A lot of teams may be letting some guys go in preparation for the expansion draft. I think every team has a prospect or two who can fill that #6/7 role better than Ehrhoff can.

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
Amazing ehrhoff could've signed a 4 year 16m minimum a few years ago, chose the 1 year with the pens and a few years later almost out of the league.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
I think Ehrhoff wants to settle down somewhere with his family and North America is not the place for that. At this point, the most likely place for him to sign is probably Krefeld.
Seidenberg will give it another shot with a reduced salary and thus lower expectations although he has become the kind of defenseman that's slowly dying out in the NHL.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Seids obviously he isn't near at the level he was a few years ago but he is still NHL caliber. I will guess he could get 1 year around $1.5 million and sign with a team in the east.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I don't agree with anyone saying Seidenberg is still an NHL player. At the end of the season he was getting scratched over AHL defensemen and he wasn't injured according to him.

He has been on a steady decline since 2011 and it has been quite noticeable to me but not so much to others. He went from a #2 in 2011 to a #7 at the end of the season last year and that was on the Bruins who had one of the worst D lineups in the league.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
Amazing ehrhoff could've signed a 4 year 16m minimum a few years ago, chose the 1 year with the pens and a few years later almost out of the league.

It really is, isn't it?

And although not everything worked out perfectly for Ehrhoff in Buffalo, the real problems indeed arose for him as he decided to go to the Pens. He simply wasn't used as he was supposed to.

I mean everyone knew that his specialty was the powerplay and nonetheless he simply didn't became a single chance to prove himself there. I really wonder what was the reason for that. I'm pretty sure that he was capable of putting up points on the powerplay, so there might have been other problems that we don't know of...

Edit: I followed Seidenberg not that closely. What are the main factors for his declining? Is it correct that the injuries are the biggest problems and is there a chance that he could get better again when he's able to stay healthy for a longer stretch or are parts of his body 'done'?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Even though the lower end of the depth chart is already looking fairly crowded, I wouldn't mind having a look at Ehrhoff in Edmonton.

Though at this point I'm not sure if he could bring any more than Oesterle, whom the coaching staff seems to like.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
I watched every Germany game at the Worlds and Ehrhoff was pretty outstanding almost every game.

I don´t really watch his NHL games so I can´t compare but he played as good or better than I have ever seen him play for Germany. He was very very fast and excellent at moving the puck up the ice.

I guess he must have been brutal defensively in some NHL games. Otherwise I just can´t imagine that he is too bad for a team like Edmonton who desperately need a puck-moving defenseman.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I wouldn't mind Ehrhoff on Edmonton if he could still blast the puck on the PP, but it doesn't seem like he does too much of that anymore. His career just died in Pittsburgh.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
Heh heh but thanks to stupid GM's, he'll be making bank even if he's sitting home doing nothing!

It really was not Ehrhoffs fault though, I'm sure that anyone would have taken that contract from the player standpoint. But I agree, a ten year deals is hideous for a team.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I feel bad for Ehrhoff because he was solid if unspectacular in LA until he got his bell rung again--after that he was an unmitigated disaster that had no place in the NHL.

I'd think he could get a #6 spot from someone, especially with expansion on the horizon...staying here for at least one more year you know?

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
It really is, isn't it?

And although not everything worked out perfectly for Ehrhoff in Buffalo, the real problems indeed arose for him as he decided to go to the Pens. He simply wasn't used as he was supposed to.

I mean everyone knew that his specialty was the powerplay and nonetheless he simply didn't became a single chance to prove himself there. I really wonder what was the reason for that. I'm pretty sure that he was capable of putting up points on the powerplay, so there might have been other problems that we don't know of...

Edit: I followed Seidenberg not that closely. What are the main factors for his declining? Is it correct that the injuries are the biggest problems and is there a chance that he could get better again when he's able to stay healthy for a longer stretch or are parts of his body 'done'?

He had a real rash of injuries, and he's become very slow. The foot speed really didn't seem to be there. That said, he is still a wicked tough SOB and is a warrior. I think he could very well sign a 1 year prove it deal to rebuild his value offering solid stay at home value as a bottom four guy.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
I feel bad for Ehrhoff because he was solid if unspectacular in LA until he got his bell rung again--after that he was an unmitigated disaster that had no place in the NHL.

I'd think he could get a #6 spot from someone, especially with expansion on the horizon...staying here for at least one more year you know?

Yep, totally agree. Really sad to (maybe) see his NHL career end like this. He deserved better.

He had a real rash of injuries, and he's become very slow. The foot speed really didn't seem to be there. That said, he is still a wicked tough SOB and is a warrior. I think he could very well sign a 1 year prove it deal to rebuild his value offering solid stay at home value as a bottom four guy.

Thanks for the insight! :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad