New Seattle team likely won't be named "Metropolitans" -- Release the KRAKEN

hanshin44

Mar 17, 2017
There is nothing wrong with having a building that is near net zero. Even Sodo arena would have been eco friendly if the sodo group actually cared about it getting it built instead of waiting on the NBA. Yes Sodo arena would have used rain water too.

Oh btw the arena is owned by the city of Seattle (it on Seattle center property) so technically they do have a say in how the building will look and operate.

Ridiculous arena construction? Having to keep an roof intact cause its a historic landmark cause of the worlds fair is not ridicilous. It was the only option where someone came forward with an actually plan that has actually serious money backing too it and its actually getting us a NHL team unlike that other dead arena plan in sodo area which had no money and basically was NBA first or no arena and said group wanted someone else to pay for it if they wanted a NHL team while sodo group controlled the revenue....
KeyArena's roof should not be a "historical landmark", that was done largely imo to assure they couldn't bulldoze the entire arena. From what I've seen the city has been working against the efforts for several years and continually asking for pretty ridiculous demands. I can go even deeper into it all if I dig out my notes on it, but in all of my years watching sports, I've never quite seen a deal quite as one sided as this. The city and it's citizens get most of the benefits at the expense of those who have to re-develop it. Before this city had a useless plot of land where KeyArena sat, and it wasn't generating any good amounts of revenue since the SuperSonics left in 2008. They refused to sell the arena and refused to bulldoze it. Instead, they kept it and declared the roof a historic landmark (but just the roof), which turned a likely $500 million dollar arena into one that will likely break the billion dollar mark. This entire arena has cost more then it did to build Little Caesars, T-Mobile arena, and Videotron, and when it's finished will still contain elements of the building from 1962. All largely because of that goddamn roof.
Listen, I've seen the Joe and Tiger Stadium demolished, I drove by the Palace of Auburn Hills and saw the huge gaping hole where they've started to tear down the arena. I've personally seen an NBA Final won, the Stanley Cup lifted, in two of those buildings. My dad saw the Tigers in the World Series at Tiger Stadium and his father saw the Tigers back in the 60s, and my great-grandfather saw even more legends. But I know as well as the next person that each one of these is temporary. Each one eventually will have to be razed.

Side note: I legitimately wouldn't trust that city council or do business with them. The entire CHOP/CHAZ stuff going down really has turned the city into a laughing stock. Along with that, the mayor's address gets leaked by one of the council members to protestors and that suspected member goes with the protestors down to her house and protests with them. It's all weird. Weird in a way that makes me bullish on all of this business with the Seattle NHL team.

Reactions: DaveG

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
KeyArena's roof should not be a "historical landmark", that was done largely imo to assure they couldn't bulldoze the entire arena. From what I've seen the city has been working against the efforts for several years and continually asking for pretty ridiculous demands. I can go even deeper into it all if I dig out my notes on it, but in all of my years watching sports, I've never quite seen a deal quite as one sided as this. The city and it's citizens get most of the benefits at the expense of those who have to re-develop it. Before this city had a useless plot of land where KeyArena sat, and it wasn't generating any good amounts of revenue since the SuperSonics left in 2008. They refused to sell the arena and refused to bulldoze it. Instead, they kept it and declared the roof a historic landmark (but just the roof), which turned a likely $500 million dollar arena into one that will likely break the billion dollar mark. This entire arena has cost more then it did to build Little Caesars, T-Mobile arena, and Videotron, and when it's finished will still contain elements of the building from 1962. All largely because of that goddamn roof.
Listen, I've seen the Joe and Tiger Stadium demolished, I drove by the Palace of Auburn Hills and saw the huge gaping hole where they've started to tear down the arena. I've personally seen an NBA Final won, the Stanley Cup lifted, in two of those buildings. My dad saw the Tigers in the World Series at Tiger Stadium and his father saw the Tigers back in the 60s, and my great-grandfather saw even more legends. But I know as well as the next person that each one of these is temporary. Each one eventually will have to be razed.

Side note: I legitimately wouldn't trust that city council or do business with them. The entire CHOP/CHAZ stuff going down really has turned the city into a laughing stock. Along with that, the mayor's address gets leaked by one of the council members to protestors and that suspected member goes with the protestors down to her house and protests with them. It's all weird. Weird in a way that makes me bullish on all of this business with the Seattle NHL team.

Btw the city had no choice regarding the roof. Someone would have sued to prevent the roof from being torn down. The original building + roof was built for 62 worlds fair and meets the qualifcation of what Seattle set for national landmark status. Plus it got a federal tax credit for being a landmark. It is what it is. Regarding Sawant has been a pain in the rear for years. Oh btw what sawant did was blatantly illegal. Sadly she believe she is above both city state and federal laws to do what ever she wants.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I think it meant ‘wise warrior’ or something similar in ancient Germany and was changed to a modern name.
They named the mountain after a British admiral, they city is named after Chief Seattle, the mountain was called Tahoma or Tacoma by the natives.

Fun facts

Rainiers also has a deep history as a baseball name in the region, dating back to the 1930s and running today with the Tacoma Rainiers being the AAA affiliate of the Seattle Mariners. Probably safe to say that name is off the table.

hanshin44

Mar 17, 2017
It's too bad. Not only would "Metropolitans" be a nod to their history as a major league hockey city, but LET'S-GO-ME-TROS would be a great chant for the fans.
If there is one thing we've learned on this godforsaken earth, it's that you never name a professional team the Mets.
It's like McDonald's naming their new burger the McEColi. Destined for failure.

verbalkint47

Heroes and Villans
Aug 12, 2009
Emerald State
The new Seattle team should just buy the name and uniforms from the WHL team. Then the WHL team in Kent can rebrand as the Kraken.
These uniforms are beautiful:
Thunderbirds_AB40950-620x370.jpg

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The name is meh but it will grow. Much like Raptors have here over time here.

Love the logo. The 'S' pattern pays homage to the Metropolitans IMO. Very sleek

hanshin44

Mar 17, 2017
The name is meh but it will grow. Much like Raptors have here over time here.

Love the logo. The 'S' pattern pays homage to the Metropolitans IMO. Very sleek

Reminds me of the Santurce Cangrejeros S logo. Or the White Sox.
Don't like the name, don't like the colors, but idk.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Interesting that a team would name itself after a fictitious octopus.

I hope that doesn't have implications for playing the mid-ice trap or having a smothering defence.

Hooves crossed that they use the Germanic pronunciation ("kray") and not make it sound like cracking eggs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad