New Season....but where to watch it?

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If all goes well, we may have hockey again in January. Arenas will be empty, leaving TV as the viewing choice. I’m anxious to watch the Jackets, but find that Hulu has cut FoxSportsOhio from its channel list which follows YouTube’s discontinuance. Sling axed FSO earlier. I can’t get Ohio Wow, which I think leaves me with only Spectrum, my most hated option.

It’s hard for me to believe FSO and it’s idiot Sinclair ownership would want their reach reduced to this degree. And I would think the Jackets can’t be happy either. Does anyone have any insights on where this may be headed?

Finally, what options should I be looking at to not suffer Jackets withdrawal when the season begins?

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Don' worry. It will be be back by the time the season starts. Always seems to work out that way.
That is my hope. I know some use streaming sites but malware is always a concern. And as to the NHL package, it seems like many posters complain about being blacked out. So....

I'm not even sure we'll have a season at this point.
I share your concerns.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I was wondering the same thing when I heard Hulu dropped FSO yesterday. Guess I'll just wait to see which one caves to Sinclair when we get close to the season starting.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
As a non-OH resident, I will resort to whatever means necessary as usual. Happy to share links throughout the season :)

Reactions: thebus88

Moch Daear

Jan 9, 2011
The Russian site I use to watch KHL games may also carry NHL games - that's my hope. Otherwise, I'll be utilizing Viqsi's VPN thinking - I currently do that to catch Crew games and the VPN works fine through ESPN+.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Is the VPN to avoid blackouts? Or just added security?

A VPN won't protect you from malware (you expressed that concern above). From a security perspective a VPN is really only useful for hiding the fact that you're doing something potentially illegal by making you anonymous. I use a VPN to get around blackout style restrictions.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Frankly, I'm looking into VPN options with nhl.tv at this point. It's pathetic that it's come to this, but, oh well.

This is what I've done (granted my blackouts are Vegas and Colorado but still)

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
A VPN won't protect you from malware (you expressed that concern above). From a security perspective a VPN is really only useful for hiding the fact that you're doing something potentially illegal by making you anonymous. I use a VPN to get around blackout style restrictions.

It's not just spoofing your IP and location though. The purpose is also to provide a secure and private connection. Things like the fact your ISP can monitor your browsing history and etc.

There are other things out there than malware.

Reactions: Sabo0290

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
It's not just spoofing your IP and location though. The purpose is also to provide a secure and private connection. Things like the fact your ISP can monitor your browsing history and etc.

Right, I mentioned malware specifically because Moe had expressed concern about that specifically in an earlier post. Just noting that a VPN isn't going to protect your computer from malware and other "bad stuff" for the most part. I don't think the bad stuff is particularly likely while streaming something in a browser though.

Reactions: cslebn

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Right, I mentioned malware specifically because Moe had expressed concern about that specifically in an earlier post. Just noting that a VPN isn't going to protect your computer from malware and other "bad stuff" for the most part. I don't think the bad stuff is particularly likely while streaming something in a browser though.
Thanks to both of you for the responses to my questions as it just gives me more info. And thanks to @Viqsi for confirming it insulates against blackouts.

Reactions: cslebn

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I'm not even sure we'll have a season at this point.
I’m more concerned now as well. In addition to COVID issues, questions about whether the players and owners can agree on money - the owners wanting further escrow/delayed payments - add uncertainty.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I’m more concerned now as well. In addition to COVID issues, questions about whether the players and owners can agree on money - the owners wanting further escrow/delayed payments - add uncertainty.
yeah. sounds like renegotiating the renegotiated CBA again. I did listen to the Athletic podcast with Ray Ferraro yesterday and they way they talked should make sense that both side should learn from what the MLB did wrong and find a way to make it work sooner rather than later.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I’d love to dump YouTube TV... since I joined 2 years ago all they’ve done is add junk channels, raise the price 2 or 3 times and cut some of the channels I actually watch (like FSO).

I dumped $pectrum 2 years ago for various reasons, but mostly to save money as I could get YTTV and an internet (Wow) for about $35 less than what I was paying to get both from Spectrum. With YYTV raising the price so often I’m basically paying the same now .. about $17o.. (need high speed internet because I WFH)

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I’d love to dump YouTube TV... since I joined 2 years ago all they’ve done is add junk channels, raise the price 2 or 3 times and cut some of the channels I actually watch (like FSO).
Their DVR setup is still far and away the best I've seen. :dunno:

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
I'm in Florida now and using YTTV. The local ABC station didn't show the Buckeyes today so I was able to watch on YTTV. I have a land line, internet and a cell phone through Spectrum in Columbus. Internet and land line isn't cheap but my cell phone has never been more than $14 a month. Spectrum internet down here is terrible so I will probably switch to FIOS, keep YTTV and get the Blue Jackets from Balley's. I will cancel Balley's after the NHL season is over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad