Boston Bruins New scoreboard, new seats and standing room coming to TD Garden

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bruins have decided on a new scoreboard that will be similar to the new board at Little Ceasars Arena in Detroit

scoreboard.800x0.jpg

VenuesNow :: UPGRADES WILL KEEP GARDEN UP TO DATE WITH NEW DEVELOPMENT

TD Garden finally gets some breathing room 23 years after the Boston arena opened its doors.
The 19,580-seat facility sits on one of the smallest footprints in sports. That forced a tight seating bowl, which has served fans well, but has restricted what could be done to develop the public concourses and premium clubs.

Those restrictions loosen up as part of The Hub on Causeway, the mixed-use project going up around the arena. The development allows Delaware North to expand the arena’s outer walls along seven levels, starting with event level on the third floor.

Overall, the arena gains about 60,000 square feet of space to build premium clubs, more concessions and a social gathering space open to all fans on the ninth level, the arena’s highest point. That area will have a view to the floor for Bruins and Celtics games, TD Garden President Amy Latimer said.

Latimer could not provide details on the upgrades, which are scheduled to be completed in late 2019. More information is expected to be released this month, pending project approval from Delaware North corporate headquarters in Buffalo, she said.

A new center-hung video board and new seats are also in the works. Last fall, Latimer toured three new facilities — Little Caesars Arena in Detroit, Rogers Place in Edmonton and Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta — to get ideas for improving TD Garden.

Some pieces tied to the development will open in October, including a new arena entrance spanning 10,000 square feet.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
LOL at the new entrance part thats about as likely as them running all the escalators at once. Even if they let you enter the building itself from opposite the train station (like you could when the Old Garden was still connected) it will all filter through those 2 entrances by the pro shop and opposite side they don't want to let people into that building easily/peacefully. And there will be an escalator shut down at all times of course.

I'm guessing part of this plan will be to eliminate more bathrooms like the one next to Legends that people can't use anymore unless you join Legends.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
That new building should be pretty cool... But the garden will always be underwhelming and somewhat boring. But they should put the money to making it a good placr for players

If you can enter the arena from that upcoming building (without exiting it and then entering past the non operational escalators and one of 2 enterance points pro shop level) it might be really cool.

The small footprint and simplicity keeps the balcony good in the middle/upper middle rows. Loge isn't steep enough for hockey its a better arena for basketball. I don't think the concourses are that crowded the biggest issues are Loge bathroom lines (again nice of them to remove the bathroom under Loge 4 by Legends.)

Wonder if they will consider improving the train times and maybe getting the MBTA to run a 215am last call train on weekends so people who don't live downtown can go out drinking without an expensive uber/cab? Not holding my breath Boston is culturally opposed to doing anything for young people/improving nightlife but whatever they are building would be packed every weekend and make silly amounts of dough if they did that.

Reactions: rfournier103

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
If you can enter the arena from that upcoming building (without exiting it and then entering past the non operational escalators and one of 2 enterance points pro shop level) it might be really cool.

The small footprint and simplicity keeps the balcony good in the middle/upper middle rows. Loge isn't steep enough for hockey its a better arena for basketball. I don't think the concourses are that crowded the biggest issues are Loge bathroom lines (again nice of them to remove the bathroom under Loge 4 by Legends.)

Wonder if they will consider improving the train times and maybe getting the MBTA to run a 215am last call train on weekends so people who don't live downtown can go out drinking without an expensive uber/cab? Not holding my breath Boston is culturally opposed to doing anything for young people/improving nightlife but whatever they are building would be packed every weekend and make silly amounts of dough if they did that.

Didn't they run a late train pilot program on thurs, fri, and sat nights a few years ago? Hard to imagine it wasnt profitable.

Then again the MBTA suck ass and is a mess.

Reactions: northeastern

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Didn't they run a late train pilot program on thurs, fri, and sat nights a few years ago? Hard to imagine it wasnt profitable.

Then again the MBTA suck ass and is a mess.

I don't think they ran it properly ie trains left 130 instead of 230 which would be more popular.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I don't think they ran it properly ie trains left 130 instead of 230 which would be more popular.
Yeah you're right.

It's never made sense to me why the last train is at like 12:30 when bars are open until 2.

Want to curtail drinking and driving? Make public transportation open until bars are closed. Right or wrong, no one wants to pay the insane prices for a cab or surge pricing on ubers.

They are planning a TOTAL shutdown of the arena in July 2019 to replace all the seats, and reconfigure Level 9.

Well that's good news. They need to fix the ice. It's been terrible for years, but I feel like it's degraded even more over the past few seasons.

What are they doing to level 9, aside from adding more than one elevator to get up there? I sat up there for a game this year, and it was a different, but very cool experience.

How long is that project going to take?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Yeah you're right.

It's never made sense to me why the last train is at like 12:30 when bars are open until 2.

Want to curtail drinking and driving? Make public transportation open until bars are closed. Right or wrong, no one wants to pay the insane prices for a cab or surge pricing on ubers.

Never underestimate the amount of $$$ the DUI statutes bring in for the state. I'm not saying the laws are not needed, of course they are. But they are also a significant portion of revenue for the state, and spending money on the subway would curtail some of that.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Yeah you're right.

Well that's good news. They need to fix the ice. It's been terrible for years, but I feel like it's degraded even more over the past few seasons.

What are they doing to level 9, aside from adding more than one elevator to get up there? I sat up there for a game this year, and it was a different, but very cool experience.

How long is that project going to take?

At the Boston Strong concert in May 2013, I'm about 90% sure the concert ended at least past 12:30, and it was before the pilot program of late night T service, and it was on a weekday. I know I pretty much hightailed it out of the Garden, and hit the Green Line to Riverside without any problems. (I forget if I went from North Station to Government Center, or if they ran an extra D trains like they sometimes used to before the Government Center renovation.) I don't know if the T extended their service or not for folks who took a little more time - a headline of "MBTA strands thousands at TD Garden after charity concert" probably wouldn't look good. Makes me wonder if they keep an eye on the Garden for playoffs - I'm pretty sure we haven't had a home playoff game go past 12:13 AM this century...then again, I don't think they do anything special for Fenway travelers.

Getting to Level 9 is a pain - there must be stairs, which I'd take as it'd be faster, but I've not found them the handful of times I sat on the south side. It definitely felt quieter to me - I guess the "no cheering in the press box" spills over from the north side. They're going to expand on the south side, which should be good for fans, as the Garden's one of the smaller venues, and theoretically should be able to fill up extra seats. I vaguely recall some talk about the expansion being premium seating, but maybe they changed course.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
2 more teams have shown what their new scoreboards will look like - The Bruins are rumored to release details next week during the first round about their board which is going to be smaller than the 2 below simply because the roof at TD Garden is not as high as other arenas.

Chicago's new scoreboard for 2019-20

The new center-hung scoreboard will feature a one-of-a-kind design that intersects traditional display elements and modern technology. It will feature:
  • 8,600 square feet of 4mm pixel pitch displays, making it the largest center-hung screen display with the highest resolution technology among all arenas that host both NBA and NHL teams
  • Nearly four times more LED screen display than the existing scoreboard
  • Kinetic movement with six independent panels
  • First-of-its-kind, continuous inner ring display
  • Immersive audio, production lighting and more
Fans in every seat across the arena will experience better visibility. The new inner ring display will provide video and stats to fans closest to the floor or ice, while the increased panel size and image clarity will enhance the view from all other perspectives, including the 100-, 200-, 300- and penthouse levels.
“This new scoreboard allows us the opportunity to take the in-game experience to the next level,” said Sergio Lozano, Senior Director, Scoreboard Operations, United Center. “Fans will be blown away by the remarkable scale and unique capabilities leading to a truly captivating in-game
experience.”

Philadelphia

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
@Frozen Faceoff

New Scoreboard Deep Dive - Frozen Faceoff

We are still waiting on Boston and Nashville to release information regarding their new boards for the 2019-2020 Season. I could see Boston going a bit more conservative, while Nashville could give Philadelphia a run for their money. And there is always the possibility that another team will surprise us with a new board. Last year New Jersey kept a pretty tight lip about what would turn out to be the largest scoreboard in the league.

The important thing to remember is the actual scoreboard itself is the cheapest part of the installation as the control room is where most of the money goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad