New school Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Habsaku said:
Good for Bure, i've always liked him. He was also a genius to have found the most underrated defensemen in the league in Markov and give him a prominent role. Good for Russia, I'm a big fan of their culture.

No genius here. Markov power is no secret to Russians and has never been.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
octopi said:
I'm just floored that at 36, Bure managed to be such a good GM.
He's 8 years younger than Chelios for Pete's sakes. And, of all things, the CBC announcers were talking about how defensivly responsible the Russian team was playing. I'm sorry, but that I don't think they could have learned from Bure.

Woa, woa, guys. You are missing the point. In Russia the GM role is a formality, mostly representative. The team is formed by the coaching staff: in this case, by Krik, Mikhajlov, Jurzinov and, God bless him, Nemchinov, who worked his ars off to esemble the NHLers.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I only hope that there is no in-fighting in this group of Russians, so that the likes of Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, Zherdev, Frolov, will play in many future tournaments. Now about goaltending, I though Nabakov was from Khazakstan. Why is it he gets to play for Russia? Dual citizenship?

Nemchinov13

Oct 19, 2002
Gravesend
Visit site
Den said:
Woa, woa, guys. You are missing the point. In Russia the GM role is a formality, mostly representative. The team is formed by the coaching staff: in this case, by Krik, Mikhajlov, Jurzinov and, God bless him, Nemchinov, who worked his ars off to esemble the NHLers.
Ah yes, Nemchinov. The greatest Russian Ranger of all time (I'm wearing the Ranger Nemchinov jersey as we speak). Yeah, he's perfect for that role. Has always been a leader to the Russian Rangers, took 19-year old Kovalev under his wing and always had respect of the locker room and fans. Never complained, just played with heart on his sleeve. So, personnel/Human Resources position is perfect for him.

Fugu

Nemchinov13 said:
I think every Canadiens' fan will be happy to hear it, but I thought that Andrei Markov was our best all-around defenseman. Good decision-making with the puck, solid in his own end... I envy you. 7th round pick was he? :shakehead

And Detroit drafted Pavel Datsyuk in the 6th round.

Baron Von Shark

Feb 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
Pantokrator said:
Now about goaltending, I though Nabakov was from Khazakstan. Why is it he gets to play for Russia? Dual citizenship?
He is an ethnic Russian that was born and lived his early childhood in Kazakhstan (in Ust Kamenogorsk which is mostly populated by Russians) until about 10 I believe, and was subsequently raised in Moscow. It was all USSR back then anyways...

Nemchinov13

Oct 19, 2002
Gravesend
Visit site
Baron Von Shark said:
He is an ethnic Russian that was born and lived his early childhood in Kazakhstan (in Ust Kamenogorsk which is mostly populated by Russians) until about 10 I believe, and was subsequently raised in Moscow. It was all USSR back then anyways...
Exactly. I'm from Kazakhstan too, but I will root for the heir of the Soviet Union - Russia even in head-to-head with Kaz.

And oh yeah, isn't Torpedo Ust' Kamenogorsk in Russian Super League?

Also, Team Kazakhstan was Team RSL's the best of the rest.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Pantokrator said:
I only hope that there is no in-fighting in this group of Russians, so that the likes of Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, Zherdev, Frolov, will play in many future tournaments.

They will all start feuding over Sharapova (well, the unmarried ones anyway). Female tennis players are the downfall of Russian hockey. :D

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Epsilon said:
They will all start feuding over Sharapova (well, the unmarried ones anyway). Female tennis players are the downfall of Russian hockey. :D
:teach: hantuchova is better. she's slovak not russian, tho.

Nemchinov13

Oct 19, 2002
Gravesend
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Holy crap! And she's barely legal too! She is their age group!!! She's 18 or 19 and Malkin - 19, Red Bull - 20, Zherdev - 20, Volchenkov - 23, Tyutin - 22, Kovalchuk - 22... But these boys are probably too young for her. If anything, Russian girls like older guys that are like 7-10 senior. She'd probably go for the likes of Datsyuk (27 y.o.), Andrei Markov (27), Gonchar (29)... or she'd go for the GM Pavel Bure (36)

Phanuthier*

Epsilon said:
:biglaugh:

:handclap:

StealingSociety

Feb 20, 2006
Pantokrator said:
I only hope that there is no in-fighting in this group of Russians, so that the likes of Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, Zherdev, Frolov, will play in many future tournaments. Now about goaltending, I though Nabakov was from Khazakstan. Why is it he gets to play for Russia? Dual citizenship?

Kaspar isn't originally from Russia either, he's from Lithuania I believe, it happens.

Nova88

Oct 6, 2005
If you watched the end of the game they look like very close group. When Kovelav got the 2nd one, The Ovey One was going crazy in the box. If you watch them going off the ice you will see Ovey and Kovy huging and punching each other (like brothers).

larsmark

Aug 30, 2005
Örnsköldsvik
Yeah, Russia is my favorite team after Sweden for sure and has been since they started to play as a team (> 2002?).

Russia doesn't have a single gold medel as RUSSIA but they do as CCCP.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Nova88 said:
If you watched the end of the game they look like very close group. When Kovelav got the 2nd one, The Ovey One was going crazy in the box. If you watch them going off the ice you will see Ovey and Kovy huging and punching each other (like brothers).

Why was Ovey in the box again? I know Malkin got the match, but why would Ovey be sitting that out?Being that I don't think Malkin had an extra two minutes tacked on? Can't remember

Speaking of new school Russia, I wasn't born when the rivalry started(72) but I did follow the Russians coming into the NHL. At the time,I was a young Flames fan, and they got some of the first of them. I remember the media nagging Makarov until he smiled for them.Because, I guess there was this big thing about Russians being stoic, not outward displays of any emotion. Now the younger guys are probably some of the most emotional players I have ever witnessed. It's great. :handclap:

Last edited:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Bobby Orr's Knees said:
They are fun, and I love those Russian kids - but they will get beat by Finland in the semies. :p:

Thats what I said about them and Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad