New school Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLACKBURN

Feb 17, 2003
London
Visit site
With players like Kovalchuk, Malkin, Ovechkin Russia has a new generation of players who have incredible skill combined physicality and passion. I'm loving watching this team play and if Nabokov can steady the ship I can see them going all the way.

Anyone else loving watching this new wave of Russians?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm definitely a fan of the passion these guys play with. I also love the combination of grit and speed and skill they have on the blueline. The way they defended out there was pretty inspiring stuff.

It's too bad we didn't see more of Canada's new wave.

shawn_kemp*

if they played exactly the same way and lost 1-0 or 2-1, we would have the same talk as always : they have no heart/are selfish/never play as a team, etc. :sarcasm:

anyway, yes, the new generation is here, definetly.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
They're defense is just unheralded. Volchenkov, Danny Markov, and Kasparitus play with no fear at all. They'll dive in front of every shot, just as long as they block it. Markov, Tyutin, and Gonchar are all good puck moving defensemen. Vishnevski and Zhukov are a little slow out there, but have looked OK.

The big thing is Bure chose people who wanted to be there, and it shows.

kjri

Mar 18, 2003
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
BLACKBURN said:
With players like Kovalchuk, Malkin, Ovechkin Russia has a new generation of players who have incredible skill combined physicality and passion. I'm loving watching this team play and if Nabokov can steady the ship I can see them going all the way.

CCCP is my favorite still. However Krikunov seems to have succeeded in his job. More individualism + defence + physical play and still there is something left from the old soviet game.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Nice to know there probably will be 2-3 more Olympics for most of the young Russians.

Malkin, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Volchenkov and a few other younger players should see a few more tournies.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Good for Bure, i've always liked him. He was also a genius to have found the most underrated defensemen in the league in Markov and give him a prominent role. Good for Russia, I'm a big fan of their culture.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Hate em as much as any other generation of Russians.

You beat a listless Canadian team that didnt care at any point in the entire tournament. Obviously it makes this crop of Russians the best team ever.

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
BLACKBURN said:

Don't forget about Zherdev and Frolov. ;)

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Resolute said:

You beat a listless Canadian team that didnt care at any point in the entire tournament. Obviously it makes this crop of Russians the best team ever.
Go cry in a corner.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Habsaku said:
Good for Bure, i've always liked him. He was also a genius to have found the most underrated defensemen in the league in Markov and give him a prominent role. Good for Russia, I'm a big fan of their culture.

I'm just floored that at 36, Bure managed to be such a good GM.
He's 8 years younger than Chelios for Pete's sakes. And, of all things, the CBC announcers were talking about how defensivly responsible the Russian team was playing. I'm sorry, but that I don't think they could have learned from Bure.

Lupul*

Resolute said:

:nopity:

...just abiding by the HFBoards Gospel.

shawn_kemp*

octopi said:
I'm just floored that at 36, Bure managed to be such a good GM.
He's 8 years younger than Chelios for Pete's sakes. And, of all things, the CBC announcers were talking about how defensivly responsible the Russian team was playing. I'm sorry, but that I don't think they could have learned from Bure.

Bure is 34. Maybe even 35! but not 36 yet!

But he didn't play an important role anyway. He was appointed really late.

shawn_kemp*

Resolute said:

"Post of the day" :D

:biglaugh:

Phanuthier*

What's incredible is that they had Kovalchuk, Zherdev and Ovechkin/Malkin drafted in consecutive years.

If I'm the NHL / NHL fans, I fear the IIHF contract problems that might stop future Russian stars from being featured in the NHL. For the past couple years, Russia has been pounding out superstar goal scorer's for the past couple years. The IIHF/NHL contract could put a stop to it.

I generally don't really like Russians, just because of bad stories ect, but you gotta be impressed by the way they're producing NHL superstars.

Goldark

Jun 5, 2002
Ann Arbor
www.
Resolute said:

:cry:

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
Resolute said:

:cry:

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
BLACKBURN said:

I've noticed the same types of things as well. Not only in this tournament, but more generally, the new generation of Russian players don't dive, slash, hook etc...essentially don't do the things that Russians used to get criticized for in the past. Now they're combining their incredible skill with a type of fearlesness and toughness that we didn't really see before.

I'm not comparing with USSR players of the 70's, but the 90's players compared to this new wave of players is really different. I look at a player like Yashin, who just got bumped off the puck and physically intimidated a few times this game. Contrast that with AO, Datsyuk, Kovalchuck etc...who were just rushing into the Canadian zone with a ton of speed and not caring about taking a hit along the way.

This new school of Russian player is really fun to watch. You have an incredible amount of speed and skill coupled with more toughness and a very visible passion for the game. Again a lot of fun to watch and great to see those young guys get real excited on the ice.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Quiet Robert said:
I've noticed the same types of things as well. Not only in this tournament, but more generally, the new generation of Russian players don't dive, slash, hook etc...essentially don't do the things that Russians used to get criticized for in the past. Now they're combining their incredible skill with a type of fearlesness and toughness that we didn't really see before.

I'm not comparing with USSR players of the 70's, but the 90's players compared to this new wave of players is really different. I look at a player like Yashin, who just got bumped off the puck and physically intimidated a few times this game. Contrast that with AO, Datsyuk, Kovalchuck etc...who were just rushing into the Canadian zone with a ton of speed and not caring about taking a hit along the way.

This new school of Russian player is really fun to watch. You have an incredible amount of speed and skill coupled with more toughness and a very visible passion for the game. Again a lot of fun to watch and great to see those young guys get real excited on the ice.
Why arent you comparing them to Kovalev? He's the master of old school skill while he takes a beating like no one else.

Nemchinov13

Oct 19, 2002
Gravesend
Visit site
Habsaku said:
I think every Canadiens' fan will be happy to hear it, but I thought that Andrei Markov was our best all-around defenseman. Good decision-making with the puck, solid in his own end... I envy you. 7th round pick was he? :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad