New rules in the olympics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reaper

May 1, 2005
The olympics next year will use the new tougher rules like the NHL says Rene Fasel, head of IHHF. The judging will be at least at the same level as NHL if not even tougher.

This is great news. Finally we can get rid of the hooking and slashing and see which team plays the best. I hope they don't start calling penalties on hard tackles though.

Well done IHHF. :clap: :clap:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
To be honest I don't think it's a big deal. In the Olympics we see mostly talented players, so the grabbing was never a part of the game there.

I just hope they don't ruin the tournament with 20 PPs per game.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I saw him talking about that, does that also refer to goalie pads? Or is it just officiating that he was talking about? :dunno:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
they said that the goalie pads would remain the same as before, and that goalies such as Brodeur could use their old pads ... I hope I'm not mistaken

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I know that the IIHF will be using the pad rules for nect season, and as some of the keepers will be from the Leagues here is europe, such as Irbe, they'll not have new pads so it would be unfiar to call that on them. I've not read anything on this though.

Piggymon

Sep 19, 2005
Pads are the same. Really, they're not changing any rules, they're just deciding to call the rules that have always been there just like the NHL is doing right now :)

Like some guy said before me this won't matter at all to the interesting nations since our teams will be all NHL players anyway, but I hope Latvia can cope and steal 8th place no matter what the rules. Gotta love those die hard latvian fans!

espo*

reaper said:
The olympics next year will use the new tougher rules like the NHL says Rene Fasel, head of IHHF. The judging will be at least at the same level as NHL if not even tougher.

This is great news. Finally we can get rid of the hooking and slashing and see which team plays the best. I hope they don't start calling penalties on hard tackles though.

Well done IHHF. :clap: :clap:
I'm not sure,if this is true we will be even more "traditional hockey style warrior" starved then we currently are.I'm only so-so on the new game this year...................too many damn penalties.The refs have to get better at straddling a line between acceptable physical play and non-acceptable.Right now they are not doing a very job of it(the players are'nt helping either) and if it is going to be even worse in Torino...............that tournament may turn into a joke of a figure skating competition. Really,i'm grateful for the increase in speed and skating this year but they;ve got a lot of kinks to work out.When a d-man can't even BODY his man out of the crease,you know we have a serious problem.It isn't ringette after all and it was never meant to be.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
cyclops said:
I'm not sure,if this is true we will be even more "traditional hockey style warrior" starved then we currently are.I'm only so-so on the new game this year...................too many damn penalties.The refs have to get better at straddling a line between acceptable physical play and non-acceptable.Right now they are not doing a very job of it(the players are'nt helping either) and if it is going to be even worse in Torino...............that tournament may turn into a joke of a figure skating competition. Really,i'm grateful for the increase in speed and skating this year but they;ve got a lot of kinks to work out.When a d-man can't even BODY his man out of the crease,you know we have a serious problem.It isn't ringette after all and it was never meant to be.

I agree. The last Olympics didn't have much of a problem with clutching and grabbing, and I worry that all "cracking down" on such stuff at this years olympics will do is create phantom penalties and reduce the 5 on 5 play.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
IIHF makes rule changes once in four years so that's partly the reason why old pads are allowed. New rules will come for 2006-07 season and with those rules it will go through to Vancouver Olympics.

Jazz

ES said:
IIHF makes rule changes once in four years so that's partly the reason why old pads are allowed. New rules will come for 2006-07 season and with those rules it will go through to Vancouver Olympics.

There is no time-frame for the IIHF in making any rule changes - they adjust the rules whenever.

Fasel has already stated that he wants the Turin Olympics to be called as tightly as the NHL has been this season.

espo*

Injektilo said:
I agree. The last Olympics didn't have much of a problem with clutching and grabbing, and I worry that all "cracking down" on such stuff at this years olympics will do is create phantom penalties and reduce the 5 on 5 play.
They have'nt found the proper balance yet IMO.Both players and refs hopefully will do a better job adjusting at what can/can't be done in the year ahead.There have been some games that i've watched that they've got it down pretty good but most are still not where they need to be.When it happens(hopefully it happens)then we are going to see the best hockey we've seen in years and hockey as it should be played.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Jazz said:
There is no time-frame for the IIHF in making any rule changes - they adjust the rules whenever.

Fasel has already stated that he wants the Turin Olympics to be called as tightly as the NHL has been this season.

That isn't rule change itself, they just try to use current rules tightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad