New Rule: Prospect Activation

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
What about a player like Leo Komarov for example for me. He hasn't hit 82 games in his career, but will likely hit that mark following this season. If I try to sign him next season for the standard 1 year term for a player of his age, will I be confined by the terms of his NHL deal or will I be able to get him under contract for 1 year at maximum ELC number? Interesting case with him.

I'd say NHL contract. He's 27 so too old for ELC. But what do I know

If a player is 27 he's not ELC eligible so it's as Dryden says. ELC only applies to players 24 and younger, after that, it's matching NHL deals.

TorontoGM

Nov 10, 2005
Penalties: This will be monitored by league admin prior to the start of each season. Any prospects that meet the 82 game threshold and are not signed by their GM will be signed to a max money ELC contract where eligible or matching of NHL contract when not ELC eligible. Repeated violations may lead to additional punishment.

Interesting update to the rule here. It looks like it strips the GM of their ability to negotiate. Is that what everyone really wants?

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Penalties: This will be monitored by league admin prior to the start of each season. Any prospects that meet the 82 game threshold and are not signed by their GM will be signed to a max money ELC contract where eligible or matching of NHL contract when not ELC eligible. Repeated violations may lead to additional punishment.

Interesting update to the rule here. It looks like it strips the GM of their ability to negotiate. Is that what everyone really wants?

How long do we need to give people to negotiate? I think all offseason with a few warnings should be enough no?

TorontoGM

Nov 10, 2005
How long do we need to give people to negotiate? I think all offseason with a few warnings should be enough no?[/

I tried to negotiate with the agent, he was not clear on how to handle players without an ELC. He sent a note to the admin team to see what their their thoughts were regarding negotiations for non-ELC players.

Alas, I never heard back. I don't think it was clearly communicated to him.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
How long do we need to give people to negotiate? I think all offseason with a few warnings should be enough no?

I tried to negotiate with the agent, he was not clear on how to handle players without an ELC. He sent a note to the admin team to see what their their thoughts were regarding negotiations for non-ELC players.

Alas, I never heard back. I don't think it was clearly communicated to him.

Any prospects that meet the 82 game threshold and are not signed by their GM will be signed to a max money ELC contract where eligible or matching of NHL contract when not ELC eligible.

To me it seems like a normal signing. As a GM I would try to negotiate and put forward my evidence. If the agent disagreed I would have to match the NHL contract. Seems fine.

TorontoGM

Nov 10, 2005
To me it seems like a normal signing. As a GM I would try to negotiate and put forward my evidence. If the agent disagreed I would have to match the NHL contract. Seems fine.

Perhaps Matt,

At the time the rules were not clear on this issue and the agents negotiate on facts. When there is a rule interpretation in question the agents look to the admin team for clarify.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
What does this mean? The "this year or next" part?

As noted, Komarov hasn't hit 82 games yet, so the rule doesn't apply him to be signed now. As such, he can be signed now if his GM is inclined to sign him, or likely a mandatory signing next year, presuming he gets to 82 games this year in total (looking likely).

Either way, the ELC isn't an option, but to the GM's point, would there be flexibility given he may sit for another year if he has to pay full freight? But we've had similar issues before, and I think the agents have basically looked at it as black and white. Probably easier that way, as to avoid testy negotiations on what discount if any he should take to sign a year early.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
As noted, Komarov hasn't hit 82 games yet, so the rule doesn't apply him to be signed now. As such, he can be signed now if his GM is inclined to sign him, or likely a mandatory signing next year, presuming he gets to 82 games this year in total (looking likely).

Either way, the ELC isn't an option, but to the GM's point, would there be flexibility given he may sit for another year if he has to pay full freight? But we've had similar issues before, and I think the agents have basically looked at it as black and white. Probably easier that way, as to avoid testy negotiations on what discount if any he should take to sign a year early.

The post from Abbas is in regards to his own player, Sheppard. I don't think there's an issue with Komarov to my knowledge. If he's hit 82 GP and has a pro NA contract next year he will need to be signed then so he would be this year (optional) or next (mandatory) yes.

Sheppard has over 82 GP and Abbas felt he wasn't given enough time to negotiate a deal is all. Miscommunication, lack of information for the agent or otherwise. I don't have an email from Hasnain looking for clarification but it was addressed in this thread previously and the rule was updated. ELC isn't an option so he was signed to his NHL deal automatically as he wasn't signed before the season was set to start. Waiting till next year isn't an option in this case.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The post from Abbas is in regards to his own player, Sheppard. I don't think there's an issue with Komarov to my knowledge. If he's hit 82 GP and has a pro NA contract next year he will need to be signed then so he would be this year (optional) or next (mandatory) yes.

Sheppard has over 82 GP and Abbas felt he wasn't given enough time to negotiate a deal is all. Miscommunication, lack of information for the agent or otherwise. I don't have an email from Hasnain looking for clarification but it was addressed in this thread previously and the rule was updated. ELC isn't an option so he was signed to his NHL deal automatically as he wasn't signed before the season was set to start. Waiting till next year isn't an option in this case.

Ah, sorry. Well, seems pretty straight forward. Either he had a contract before he was put on the prospect list for going to Europe or whatever and that kicks back in, or he signs his NHL deal of $1.3M. Pretty straight forward, and Abbas can obviously waive or trade him if that contract doesn't work.

TorontoGM

Nov 10, 2005
Ah, sorry. Well, seems pretty straight forward. Either he had a contract before he was put on the prospect list for going to Europe or whatever and that kicks back in, or he signs his NHL deal of $1.3M. Pretty straight forward, and Abbas can obviously waive or trade him if that contract doesn't work.

thank you for clarifying, this is helpful :)

One more question, under what circumstances does this rule apply.

1. If a player moves to the prospect list because they signed in Europe or
2. If a player is drafted and on the prospect list or
3. If an RFA does not accept a contract offer and decides not to sign a QO and moves to the prospect list?

Are all 3 treated the same?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
thank you for clarifying, this is helpful :)

One more question, under what circumstances does this rule apply.

1. If a player moves to the prospect list because they signed in Europe or
2. If a player is drafted and on the prospect list or
3. If an RFA does not accept a contract offer and decides not to sign a QO and moves to the prospect list?

Are all 3 treated the same?

If it was #1, then the players old contract with respective years left would simply re-triggered. This has happened many times before.

If it were #2, you'd go with their NHL deal given they were never signed to ELC. And same if it were #3, as the player already spurned the previous QO in theory and the NHL deal was what was required to get them to return to NA (in theory).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad