New rule in swedish hockey: not allowed to hit when players just passed the puck

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Klart: Så blir nya reglerna inom svensk hockey

This is just sad. Most hits are coming when players just passed the puck, but new rules in swedish hockey from this season is that you cant hit like that anymore, you can only hit when the players have the puck, wtf.

This will kill the physicality in swedish hockey, it was already pretty unphysical, but not it will be even more unphysical.

When will other nations make this silly rule? I hope not.

Will this silly rule be the end for swedish hockey? With no hitting it will hard for swedish players to take the step to NHL, KHL etc because they will not be prepered for the physicality, it will be like an new sport for them.

Not heard a single complain about this new rule in Sweden, its really a big shame.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Is this for players of all ages in Sweden? Sounds good for the health of some players, bad for the development of Swedish players in general.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
USA Hockey has also adopted this rule.

A player cannot use the hands, stick or extension of the arms to body check an opponent or deliver an avoidable body check to a player who is not in possession and control of the puck. Examples include:
  • Intentionally playing the body of an opponent who does not have possession and control of the puck.
  • Delivering an avoidable check to a player who has already relinquished control of the puck by a pass or shot. This is oftentimes referred to as “finishing” the check.
  • Any avoidable contact after the whistle shall be penalized strictly, including scrum situations around the goal or along the boards. Officials are instructed to assess an additional penalty to those players acting as the aggressor or who instigates any contact after the whistle.
Body Checking

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Seems to be a bit similar to the NFL's don't fall on the QB with your weight penalty. Makes you think before you make the hit. When it first came in it was a nightmare, but I don't know that I've seen a lot this year where people are confused on what's a penalty and what's not.

Going to be interesting what is deemed as avoidable though. I mean if a guy sees that he will be hit and right before he gets hit he just moves the puck is that going to be a penalty?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Klart: Så blir nya reglerna inom svensk hockey

This is just sad. Most hits are coming when players just passed the puck, but new rules in swedish hockey from this season is that you cant hit like that anymore, you can only hit when the players have the puck, wtf.

This will kill the physicality in swedish hockey, it was already pretty unphysical, but not it will be even more unphysical.

When will other nations make this silly rule? I hope not.

Will this silly rule be the end for swedish hockey? With no hitting it will hard for swedish players to take the step to NHL, KHL etc because they will not be prepered for the physicality, it will be like an new sport for them.

Not heard a single complain about this new rule in Sweden, its really a big shame.

From the little KHL I've watched, it seems that is already the policy there.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
Seems to be a bit similar to the NFL's don't fall on the QB with your weight penalty. Makes you think before you make the hit. When it first came in it was a nightmare, but I don't know that I've seen a lot this year where people are confused on what's a penalty and what's not.

Going to be interesting what is deemed as avoidable though. I mean if a guy sees that he will be hit and right before he gets hit he just moves the puck is that going to be a penalty?
I don't like the rule in football and I don't like it here. Both games are contact sports. If a player is afraid to get hit, maybe they should have pursued a different sport.

Reactions: joestevens29

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Didn't the IIHF refs also call penalties for "late hit" last WC? Pretty sure it's taken from the IIHF rulebook.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Go watch NHL games from even 20years ago there is barely any of it let alone further back. It's a pretty new concept in hockey that guys need to robotically finish a check on the opposition player after every single touch and it's kind of stupid.

Bill Sergio

Mar 2, 2018
Go watch NHL games from even 20years ago there is barely any of it let alone further back. It's a pretty new concept in hockey that guys need to robotically finish a check on the opposition player after every single touch and it's kind of stupid.

what were you watching, my son and I were watching tapes of old games and he commented that every player was getting hit after they released the puck.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Fewer concussions? Since it's become painfully apparent that either nobody teaches players how to time their hits better or players don't care or both. Make the rules so that they'll have to.
Finishing a check has always been a legal play in hockey....so they are being taught to hit correctly? The egregious hits are still going to happen it will just be penalizing previously clean hits, and taking more physicality out of an already neutered game.

Reactions: Oleksiak

Bill Sergio

Mar 2, 2018
hope the NHL adopts this eventually.

Guess we should just put tutu's on everyone and get rid of all contact. You line someone up and commit to the check and then they release the puck a split second before the hit. There is no way to avoid that hit. They basically want to turn the mens game into the womens game. Sad

Reactions: Oleksiak

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com

I notice this too re-watching stuff from the 80's and 90's, there was a toughness but it was genuine, today's antics of always finishing the check no matter what and scrums after every big hit feels unnecessarily forced. To be sure, there is a lot of stuff from that era that wouldn't fly today, but I think there was a different level of honesty in the game back then.

Reactions: JBeast

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Finishing a check has always been a legal play in hockey....so they are being taught to hit correctly? The egregious hits are still going to happen it will just be penalizing previously clean hits, and taking more physicality out of an already neutered game.

With late hits becoming more and more common and resulting in more and more injuries, I'd say yes, players don't know how to TIME their hits anymore.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
what were you watching, my son and I were watching tapes of old games and he commented that every player was getting hit after they released the puck.

was watching Dallas against Buffalo. Was a lot more physicality - punches and shoves, but not body checks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad