New Rink for Dal

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Saw that the other day. All I can say is about time! I can do without going to the Forum a few times a year. The place has it's charms, but just like Alumni and the old Dal Memorial Arena it's got a few "charms" you could live without.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I will admit I was wrong about Dal. I've said for a couple of years now that they wouldn't build a rink because there's no money in it for them. It's still a couple of years away, but good to see it happen.

SP Saskatuned

Aug 2, 2011
Saskatoon, SASK.
NEW DOG HOUSE IN WORKS?
Meanwhile, back in Saskatchewan, the U of S has apparently given the green light to a new twin-pad hockey rink although details have not been officially released at this time. (The U of S, I'm told, was hoping to make the big announcement in October.)
We'll see how long it will take to build ... It can't come soon enough. In my opinion, the U of S is settling for a rink that will prove to be too small, longer term, especially for playoffs, etc., if it's got to last another 87 years like the 1929-built Rutherford Rink.

http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/lo...ts-green-light-for-new-twin-pad-rink-and-more

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Going further into the costs - you build a stadium to handle regular season crowds. Outside of playoffs, I can only think of a few special-event games when SMU would have had more than 800 fans. Plus, SMU probably doesn't want to create a footprint for the new stadium that takes too much of the limited space at that location. And plus plus, universities don't have much money to spare, and I can't remember how large that bequest for a new rink was from several years ago.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad