News Article: New restriction on Fighting..AUUUGHHHHHHH

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Kings' started by DrewforNorris, Oct 23, 2013.

View Users: View Users
  1. DrewforNorris

DrewforNorris Kingspiracy.

Geeze, I wish the NHL would leave this alone. I'm not a thrill seeker, but this getting ridiculous because teams are less able to respond to questionable hits, running of a goalie etc. Rest of the article is on the link. Article by Darren Dreger.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...ts-come-off-first/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

"NHL linesmen have been instructed to stop a fight when the participants opt to remove their helmets prior to swapping blows.

This isn’t a rule change, simply a common sense approach to encourage players to protect their head at all times.

There is nothing formal about this strategy. It was implemented shortly after the preseason where it became evident players weren’t concerned about the additional two-minute penalty for removing their helmets to fight…even though the rule was introduced entirely for player safety.

Linesmen now have the authority to step in, when it is safe to do so, and stop a fight when the combatants purposely take off their helmets."

2. scramble91

scramble91 Registered User

Was actually funny to see that last night during the Montreal game. The look on Moens face was priceless

3. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Master Debater

So they want them all NHL linesmen to be like Kevin Collins?

4. Herby

Herby Culture Changer

Fighting will be out of the NHL within 10-15 years, just like head hunting hits are out of the NFL. The insurance costs, the likely settlement with former players and the public finally waking up (or being informed) just how horrible the longterm effects of concussions are.

Do people realize how much concussions have done to guys like Deadmarsh, Pronger and Lindros, not only ending their NHL careers but severely limiting their lives away from the sport.

Still amazing with all that we know, people still advocate bare knuckle fighting in the NHL, and then despite the fact that numerous players have suffered concussions from hitting their heads on the ice during fights people complain about those rules.

If you won't watch hockey when the fighting ends you better try and find a new hobby or enjoy it whole it lasts.

5. ScoreZeGoals

ScoreZeGoals Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng

Yep, fighting won't be around much longer

6. tigermask48

tigermask48 Maniacal Laugh

Not nearly as many from fights as have resulted from hits... Let's just ban hitting too and we can all watch family friendly hockey. Fighting in hockey is no more dangerous or barbaric than MMA, and far less dangerous than Pro Boxing. Two sports that make millions of dollars solely from guys hitting each other.

7. johnjm22

johnjm22 16,005

I don't have a problem with a couple guys getting into a scrum in the heat of the moment.

It's the pointless staged fighting between two goons, and the fights that result from a clean hit that the NHL should eliminate. They do nothing but slow down the game.

8. tsanuri

tsanuri Moderator

Players don't really know if it was a clean hit or not. Most of the time they are just reacting to seeing a team mate down.

9. johnjm22

johnjm22 16,005

That's true, but there's are also instances when a hit is clearly clean, and it still results in a fight.

It's annoying that you can't make a big clean hit anymore without having to get into some pointless, half hearted, jersey clutching wrestling match with someone. It takes away from the game action.

10. DrewforNorris

DrewforNorris Kingspiracy.

Clean or not, I think that some hits should not go unpunished. If your best players are smaller and getting targeted and you do nothing, then it opens the flood gates. Some players are kept around to protect their players. I'm not saying take it to the extreme and start a fight on every questionable or clean hit, but if it keeps happening and players do nothing, then they lose momentum in a game and that could be the difference between a few points.

11. tigermask48

tigermask48 Maniacal Laugh

How much of that is players being shown a clean hit and dirty hit by the league but still having no idea which is which due to a severe lack of consistency on the league's part of what is clean and dirty?

12. Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah Registered User

Disagree. Listen to Bettman on any interview, he dances around the question.

The internet has websites dedicated to fighting. The fan base is huge. Fans show up just to see it.

A death happened in the OHL and fighting is still not banned. What does that say?

Also, I don't want to get into the reason why it should be allowed...but let's put it this way, you will see more Brashear-McSorley incidents. If Matt Cooke and Raffi Torres can run around without retribution, the victim of their hits will use the next likely available weapon, the stick. A composite stick across the head is way more vicious than maybe taking a punch on skates.

13. KingsCorona

KingsCorona Registered User

I'm somewhere between indifferent and very mildly pleased. I don't think that this particular rule change will accomplish much, but I've never had much love for the fighting aspect of hockey. I don't find it entertaining, it slows the game down, I don't like it when teams use up roster spots for thugs (although that is thankfully less common these days), and the whole practice just seems very bush league and unbecoming of a professional sports. I find that people who I try to introduce to hockey are turned off by it.

Hockey is a rough enough sport without the fighting. If somebody hits your teammate, smash him -- legally. If someone gets away with a cheap shot -- again, smear him legally. Honestly, I've seen hard legal hits change games in one team's favor more often than fights anyway.