New puck visualization system?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
If it helps generate shot charts similar to what ESPN shows for basketball, good.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
I don't like it at all. The afterglow was the worst part of the Fox presentation. I didn't like the glow

I think they could use similar technology for the perpuse of goal reviews though. A sensor chip inside the puck, if precise enough, could be monitored by off-ice officials to see if a puck has completely crossed the goal line. GPS technology might be adaptable by placing several "satelites" in the rafters of hockey arenas to lock on the puck.

At the very least, they could do something similar to the puck glow to view a puck's location when it is obstructed by bodies near the goal line. They could use a red color-overlay that would show up on review monitors.

I think that this would be a better idea to pursue than the one the company in the video is undertaking.

redwingsdude

Aug 2, 2005
Grand Rapids
This isn't a "new" invention, its just an improved version of the glow-puck. Either way, hockey fans who know how to find the puck aren't going to like it, and I'm one of them.

As for using it to determine goals, why not just use a laser across the goal mouth and a chip inside of the puck. Having a glowing puck could still leave doubts as to whether a goal was scored or not.

jpb

Feb 28, 2002
Thebes
www.magichelmet.org
This isn't a "new" invention, its just an improved version of the glow-puck.
It's new in the sense that the guy wants to put friggin' DISCO LIGHTS under the ice. As a glow puck, it'd be miserable. I could, however, see some owners loving such an idea for the purpose of on ice advertising and such.

KingsFanInRI

Waiting 4 next year
Aug 27, 2005
Outside Providence
Black Puck, White Ice,

What was the problem again?

and as I always tell people new to hockey (when I lived in LA I actually introduced a lot of my friends to hockey) "If you can' find the puck just watch the players on the ice; they are usually skating right toward it."

There's a reason that Glow Puck rhymes with blow suck

Moose Lips

Aug 15, 2006
East Berlin
This is absolutely insane.

There are better solutions if you someone cannot follow the puck, see an optometrist, laser eye surgery, or watch a sport with a big object such as football, soccer or bowling.

Lost Kangaroo

Jun 4, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
I can just picture the powers that be watching this video saying "no no no" right up to the point when she talks about advertising and we see the coca-cola logo on the ice. then they all in unison go "well, lets not just dismiss this without thinking about it".

I would have no problem with them doing this if the technology enabled viewers to see the game with or without it. I know I would be watching it without it, but the casual fringe fan might like it.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Won't players complain that the pucks don't feel the same way if there's a chip inside? I actually think it might even have been the case with the ESPN glowing puck, although I'm not sure.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The comet trail on the puck is super lame, but I have to admit that I kind of like the idea of the ice lighting up after a goal. I mean, it really is just the red light concept taken one step further. The technology seems flexible enough to allow for some really creative celebrations.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
I liked the highlights they used :P.

I actually liked when they score and then the stuff lights up and flows down the ice.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I don't think the idea's that bad. You could have it optional at the viewer's end, with TV going to be 100% digital in six years that's not much of a problem (have it the same way you change commentaries).

The goal effect was quite nice, and the adverts could be useful for the teams. Have it flash up at stoppages for that extra bit of cash. But that would have to be in the arena, as it can already be done on TV.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
This new idea would make it easier for goalies to find the puck with their peripheral vision increasing the possibility for them to come up with a save, therfore less goals would be scored and thus would go against the NHL's plans of increased scoring :teach:

But on a serious note: **** off

Last edited:

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
Won't players complain that the pucks don't feel the same way if there's a chip inside? I actually think it might even have been the case with the ESPN glowing puck, although I'm not sure.
I remember reading at the time that pucks with the chips weighed the same as a standard NHL puck. Maybe Bobby Orr would have said that he could feel the difference, but I don't think anyone really could.

Pepsi12pac

Jul 3, 2006
Shoreview
would this technology stop working when the puck is in the air? ie: a wristshot/slapshot or just dumping the puck down the ice?

I can see it being annoying to the players moreso than the fans. Alot of the diehard hockey fans will hate it/call it stupid, but I think it would help the fringe fans that watch it occasionally. In all reality those are the fans the NHL needs to target so I'm all for it.

vbet*

"but it has been particularly designed to improve the visualization through television systems, which are mainly used by viewers"

heh, anyone else besides viewers using tv's these days?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad