New Proposal Rumoured From NHLPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
GabbyDugan said:
Larry Brooks presents yet another suggestion that the NHLPA will come up with a proposal to the NHL. The substance is different tha n the one suggested earlier.

http://nypost.com/sports/35272.htm

"The proposal, which likely will be presented within the first two weeks of December, is expected to feature an increase in salary rollback — i.e., a player contract tax of up to twice the original offer of five percent; more meaningful payroll tax rates starting at lower club thresholds, and an offer to negotiate substantive changes to inflationary systemic triggers such as salary arbitration."

Well its good news that its significant, and that Goodenow is said to have always been prepared to negotiate away from his framework. It sure sounds hopeful. Hopefully enough owners are reasonable and truly want a solution. It shows who is more serious, especially if the owners continue their pouting and non-negotiable stance.

A couple of interesting quotes from that column of Larry's.

Larry Brooks said:
So Kevin Lowe, who forced his way out of Edmonton in 1993 so he could reap the rewards of playing for the Ranger$, is back at the bully pulpit, stating he will resign as the Oilers' GM without adoption of a new economic system. First, can we get this pledge in writing? Second, when is he going to say that if he had the Rangers' budget he'd never fail to make the playoffs?

Heh.

Larry Brooks said:
Finally, as stated by its Constitution, The NHL exists as an Unincorporated Association Not For Profit.

Article 2.2: "The League shall be operated not for profit."

Now isnt that a fascinating one. The owners deserve to make a profit indeed. Apparently not according to their own constitution.

GabbyDugan

Jun 8, 2004
Not to steer this thread off on a tangent, but the Kevin Lowe thing was not that big a deal IMHO. I doubt if 1% of the people who are making comments about what Lowe said actually read the whole article in the Edmonton Journal last Sunday. (It was taken from a five-page Sunday feature article about Kevin Lowe and his family, written by a "features" writer, not a hockey or sports reporter or columnist....hardly a "bully pulpit" situation...Lowe was asked about hardships on his family caused by the time and effort he has to devote to his job, and he gave an honest answer...about 99% of people who hold professional jobs would say similar things)

Regarding the topic at hand...anything to unstick the negotiation process is worth listening to. Every conceivable "proposal" can be shot down for years to come, but sooner or later things have to start, even if from an imperfect platform.

We're getting reports from TSN ,which in my view is mostly pro-management, and now Larry Brooks, who clearly is not. Still rumours and slightly different proposals, but both imply that Bob Goodenow's denials that any proposal from the NHLPA are forthcoming is some kind of smoke screen. I'm dubious, but sitting back and waiting while absolutely nothing moves is getting a little eerie....time for someone to rock the boat...

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I didnt read the entire Lowe feature article, but it sure sounded like he was parrotting the company line about the team being in danger without big changes to the CBA. Have they renegotiated all their new lease deals etc? I dont know the context he said it in though.

Its unlikely it would be smart negotiating strategy for Goodenow to say he is just waiting a while before presenting another offer. But this is what is said to be his modus operandi - the last minute negotiation. Which bettman is desperately trying to deflect with his insistence their is no drop dead date, and if the PA doesnt hurry and make an offer they will just let the season slip away. You have to figure the players will make an offer because we know they want to play the season.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
thinkwild said:
If there is to be a new offer from the PA, and it would seem likely, I cant imagine its going to be designed in any way to win over fan support. What would be the purpose of that? Its more likely to be designed to further their negotiations cause.

It will be interesting to see how far they go. Bettman has skillfully created uncertainty as to their position and strategy. The players have to be concerned they could seriously shut down the season if the owners arent accomodated somehow. But they certainly arent going to get cost certainty.

If Bettman creates a strong enough impression that he is angling for battles through courts, it may force the PA to advance a less serious position with that in mind. The hardball backdfiring. But if the owners seem willing to compromise, hopefully they find a compromise that can be proposed.

You'd think once Bettman has started the hardball, they will play it out. The owners are likely to reject any coming offer, make some kind of demand or offer designed to force the players to choose whether they accept or strike. Bettman may as well play out the maximum squeeze now. You'd figure at some point, the season will be cancelled, or a leak that arena dates are now all available will come out making everyone think the season is done. At which time some crisis management perhaps outside intervention will have one last chance. Its hard to not see this go down to the wire now. Do you believe in miracles?

if the nhlpa sways fan support into their favor (by making an honest effort to make a deal )then the pressure is on Bettman and the owners to get off the hard stance and make something work .

I guess thats a good enough reason to try and get the fans in your corner , no ?

SENSible1*

Interesting

Seems both sides are softening up their stances faced with the of the loss of the season.

article

Both sides are being careful to extend the olive branch.

In other words, it will be probably involve a luxury tax and will not provide that magical cost certainty the league desires. That's fine with Daly, who said even an offer that includes a luxury tax, which the league has said won't work, could be a step forward.

"It depends on what else it comes with," Daly told The Hockey News. "I know a luxury tax by itself will not be acceptable to us, but let’s take a look at how serious they are about addressing the issues and maybe we can formulate a response that moves us closer."

When asked by THN if that meant the league was softening its stance on the luxury tax, Daly said this:

"The linkage continues to be a foundation point, there’s no doubt about it. But the proposal they gave us on Sept. 9 was a step backwards. They really took things off the table. So any kind of step toward trying to address our issues in a meaningful way I would think is a positive step in the process, even if it doesn’t get to where we need to be."

But in an interview with radio station KTCK-1310 in Dallas on Wednesday, Saskin gave some indication about how the union might go about addressing the league's issues in a meaningful way. He suggested looking at options besides a salary cap to restrain player salaries.

"I think maybe the labeling -- cap, no cap -- sometimes doesn't advance the process too much," said Saskin. "What we should really be focusing on is what are the additional restraints that players are prepared to accept on the way owners compensate them in the system. Then let's try to look at what additional concessions the players can make to try to get a deal done and get some hockey played this year.

"What I am saying is a cap is a form of restraint on what owners can spend on players. There are hundreds of other ways you can restrain owners from what they spend on players."

It should make for an interesting couple of weeks as we come down to the deadline that isn't a deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad