New Proposal Coming from PA on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevsFan

Feb 12, 2005
Hey Hockey Fans,
I'm getting this story off a couple of blogs (yes one is Eklund) . . . and they both seem to allude to the same thing: a NEW proposal is coming from Goodnow and the PA on Sunday:

"from the chicago tribune via the mercury news (sub req), After rejecting the latest league proposal without attempting to negotiate off it, NHL Players Association executive director Bob Goodenow is rumored to be ready to present the league with another proposal before Monday - when most observers expect the league will cancel the rest of the 2004-05 season.
It's unlikely any public statements will be made other than to announce a deal or the season's cancellation.
But rumors are spreading Goodenow will present NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman with a proposal for a deal that may run for as long as eight seasons. It would be based on the union's earlier luxury tax proposal and triggers that probably would allow the league to institute its salary cap plan after two seasons.

note: The Mercury News is known for getting stories early and posting them asap. This article will actually appear in Sunday's Chicago Tribune."

An 8-year hybrid deal (3 tax, 5 cap) might be the compromise they are looking for. And my opinion is if they offer non-linkage with the cap, it's a done deal. Regardless, at least we'll have closure in the next day or so. Thank God for that. Here's to hockey in March!

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Regardless of where its been posted, I still think this is a possibility. I'm really not sure if they will make it public though... It's either going to be tomorrow, or Goodenow will tell the NHL that he has something for them on Monday, like McKenzie states.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
E*****'s blog is a waste of perfectly good electrons but it only stands to reason the PA will make some kind of offer Sunday. Goodenow has a reputation, deserved or not, for being a last-second negotiator and the players stand to lose more than the owners with no season so it makes sense that they'd give it one last-ditch effort to save the season - if not for this year, to at least make sure things start on time next year.

caps

Feb 3, 2005
Southeastern VA
i pray that a deal is made :bow: , i could care less if they play 35 games this season or 5, just as long as i can watch some hockey and that the league's financial issues be resolved. but i guess one way or another, all of us will have closure soon, and i can go on with my life :handclap:

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
I've seen and heard of too many negotiations dead in the water that were somehow miraculously resolved at the last minute.

Unless I hear an absolute pronouncement saying the season is done, I'm still keeping hope.

zamboni

Apr 25, 2003
Visit site
Unless I hear an absolute pronouncement saying the season is done, I'm still keeping hope.

My thoughts exactly. When people ask me how I can still have optimism, I ask why the season hasn't been cancelled yet.

Hellsempire

Feb 23, 2004
The Rock Section 233
It's BS and the season is OVER! :shakehead Hopes are gone at this point and it would take a miracle to have a deal and a season. I think it is BS especially that Eklund guy who is a joke and writes nothing but BS most of the time. There maybe a few calls here and there today but the season IMO will be cancelled tonight or early Monday. :dunno: They (NHL & NHLPA) really have to work on this deal so there are no games missed for next season.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If anything it makes sense merely for legal reasons for the upcoming impass hearing. The union seems to have left itself very open to being the party who has bargained in bad faith with their just saying no and offering nothing since December 9th. This very well may be true, as far as an offer goes, but it may not be the offer detailed above and merely be positioning for the NLRB.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
i think it's a foregone conclusion that there will be some sort of talks tomorrow, but that's just a guess. the same educated "guess" that our "blogger" friends are making.

this just in, the sun will rise tomorrow!

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
tm said:
The rumour hasn't appeared yet on the Chicago Tribune or the San Jose Mercury News sites but it is kind of alluded to in this New York Daily News article (which is interestingly sub-titled "'Secret' talks get started").
I agree with others in this thread that this should probably be the next expected step, so if it happens it wouldn't be a surprise. (Tho' Eklund being right would be a surprise!).

Here is the link to the Chicago Trib article on Mercury

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/10887009.htm

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
I expect Bettman to completely miscalculate how much the fans are behind the owners and reject a deal such as this and say that it's not enough "cost certainty". It would be the final stupid act in a comedy of errors.

I'm a pro-owner guy by the way...

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
s3por2d said:
I expect Bettman to completely miscalculate how much the fans are behind the owners and reject a deal such as this and say that it's not enough "cost certainty". It would be the final stupid act in a comedy of errors.

I'm a pro-owner guy by the way...

What do the fans being behind Bettman have anything to do with him accepting or rejecting a proposal??? Nothing, its a non-factor.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Is there any radio-station that has an internet live-stream that i can listen to all day long to get the latest rumors and news apart from the Fan 590?

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
CaptainShark said:
Is there any radio-station that has an internet live-stream that i can listen to all day long to get the latest rumors and news apart from the Fan 590?

Fan 960 in Calgary seemed to be on point with a lot of stuff. But I'd say Fan590 is your best bet.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
either way , the end is near :)

if nhl cancels , then the Canadian sport nets (tsn,ctv sportsnets,the score,cbc)can get some more AHL ,CHL,College games televised instead of waiting around for the NHL.

I cant remember which poster informed me that he thinks NBC will do a much better job as a national broadcaster than ABC or did Fox for the NHL , but I hope he's right if indeed there is to be one .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad