New president of the KHL

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
From the league's perspective Fasel would most likely be the best choice. He won't be the final decision maker (puppet if you like) but someone with good relations to the West, aka someone who can further integrate the KHL into Western European hockey and potentially expand the league.

My biggest concern with any candidate taking Chernyshenko's role is their economical standpoint for the league. I hope whoever proceeds as president continues the path of a somewhat sustainable league with a salary cap to strengthen the competition

Last edited:
Reactions: TommySalo

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
someone who can further integrate the KHL into Western European hockey and potentially expand the league.
The only thing he will integrate will be some pretty money in his wallet from this position. Think what you want about Russian billionaires in KHL kitchen, but they for sure at least aren't there to simply make money out of it. Can someone name one good thing Fasel has done for European hockey in his seemingly eternal tenure?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The only thing he will integrate will be some pretty money in his wallet from this position. Think what you want about Russian billionaires in KHL kitchen, but they for sure at least aren't there to simply make money out of it. Can someone name one good thing Fasel has done for European hockey in his seemingly eternal tenure?

Yes. He's leaving IIHF this Spring.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

mkev400

Jul 21, 2016
Wait Chernyshenko was appointed as deputy Prime Minister?

Also, I wouldnt be surprised if Fasel was appointed to the KHL post. As head of the IIHF, he was the one that always stuck up for Russian Hockey, especially with all the WADA dealings, i.e. he was a big proponent for Russia to keep its World Championship tournaments and to let them compete under their own name in the World Championships.
In terms of PR it would be a smart move for the league and it probably would give the KHL a favourable stand with the next IIHF committee and other Federations (especially if the KHL wants to continue exploring Western expansions).

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Wait Chernyshenko was appointed as deputy Prime Minister?

Also, I wouldnt be surprised if Fasel was appointed to the KHL post. As head of the IIHF, he was the one that always stuck up for Russian Hockey, especially with all the WADA dealings, i.e. he was a big proponent for Russia to keep its World Championship tournaments and to let them compete under their own name in the World Championships.
In terms of PR it would be a smart move for the league and it probably would give the KHL a favourable stand with the next IIHF committee and other Federations (especially if the KHL wants to continue exploring Western expansions).
First of all Chernyshenko originally came into the mix as someone who has already worked on the Sochi Olympics, i.e. as part of a team of sports related managers with good ties to some influential people anyway. He has some connection to the now prime minister Mishustin too(roommates at "Stankin" Technology University). Pretty logical he gets the sports ministry(although that implies his KHL presidency was considered a success, with which I can't agree, but that's me). Even more logical he gets even more than that as deputy PM for IT, mass media, sports, culture and tourism. He might be better suited for this position btw than he was for the KHL presidency. Time will tell.

rohky

Jun 17, 2019
Reading
Morozov played 451 games for the Pittsburgh Penguins, two-time World champion, two-time Gagarin Cup champion and Olympic silver medalist. Any thoughts on his appointment?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Morozov played 451 games for the Pittsburgh Penguins, two-time World champion, two-time Gagarin Cup champion and Olympic silver medalist. Any thoughts on his appointment?
He was rising through the ranks since he retired. Apparently that is what he always wanted to do after his active player career. Respected, well spoken, young. He was a great captain for us. Let's see how he manages this new "captaincy".

I am prepared for the shiteloads of mud about how the league is now biased towards AkBars in the years to come.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Seems like yesterday Morozov was the face of the league on the ice, now he's the league president already. Obviously he's a convenient frontman, who is all of a fresh face, a reputable person and a man of sport (contrary to former managers who were Gazprom executives). Very likely he's regarded as a future sports minister. I don't really believe he'll be anything more than a representative, definitely not a decision maker. I'm also not sure that his years in the KHL/MHL leadership led to any substantial improvement. But best of luck to Alexey anyway.

I'm also surprised people believed that Fasel could be apoointed. Russia doesn't have a lot of friendly sports authority figures, would be a bad mistake to employ him when he can continue working in the IOC.

Reactions: Exarz

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Seems like yesterday Morozov was the face of the league on the ice, now he's the league president already. Obviously he's a convenient frontman, who is all of a fresh face, a reputable person and a man of sport (contrary to former managers who were Gazprom executives). Very likely he's regarded as a future sports minister. I don't really believe he'll be anything more than a representative, definitely not a decision maker. I'm also not sure that his years in the KHL/MHL leadership led to any substantial improvement. But best of luck to Alexey anyway.

I'm also surprised people believed that Fasel could be apoointed. Russia doesn't have a lot of friendly sports authority figures, would be a bad mistake to employ him when he can continue working in the IOC.
Fasel is leaving his IIHF post this year. I guess he is the IOC member, whatever, due to being IIHF President. When he leaves the IIHF office, he leaves the IOC as well. Or not?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad