Not open for further replies.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Sounds like Castellanos is going to the Reds

That's fine. He's an intriguing bat, but the reality is that he's basically a 1B/DH at this point and the Jays don't need any more of those. Places list him as a 3b/OF, but truthfully:

1) He hasn't played 3rd since 2017 and was never better than a suboptimal defender even at his best at the position.

2) In his time as a primary OF over the last couple years he has been unspeakably awful. Just to pick one metric, by UZR over the last two seasons he is the second worst OF in baseball ahead of just Charlie Blackmon and by UZR/150 among qualified fielders (min of around 900 innings in the outfield) he's 4th worst with just Rhys Hoskins, Blackmon, and Teoscar Hernandez behind him (and FWIW Hernandez is mostly sunk by being forced into CF this past year. He was actually a positive UZR/150 in LF in 2019.)

Not saying that he wouldn't have been an overall roster upgrade on Teoscar, but everyone's already looking to pull him from the outfield. Not sure it would've made sense to go and acquire a free agent to do basically that same thing at a position that's already a little redundant at best for the Jays.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
That's fine. He's an intriguing bat, but the reality is that he's basically a 1B/DH at this point and the Jays don't need any more of those. Places list him as a 3b/OF, but truthfully:

1) He hasn't played 3rd since 2017 and was never better than a suboptimal defender even at his best at the position.

2) In his time as a primary OF over the last couple years he has been unspeakably awful. Just to pick one metric, by UZR over the last two seasons he is the second worst OF in baseball ahead of just Charlie Blackmon and by UZR/150 among qualified fielders (min of around 900 innings in the outfield) he's 4th worst with just Rhys Hoskins, Blackmon, and Teoscar Hernandez behind him (and FWIW Hernandez is mostly sunk by being forced into CF this past year. He was actually a positive UZR/150 in LF in 2019.)

Not saying that he wouldn't have been an overall roster upgrade on Teoscar, but everyone's already looking to pull him from the outfield. Not sure it would've made sense to go and acquire a free agent to do basically that same thing at a position that's already a little redundant at best for the Jays.
I haven’t looked into it is why I didn’t know but I wasn’t aware Blackmon was that brutal of an outfielder. If memory serves many here were clamouring for us to try and trade for him

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I haven’t looked into it is why I didn’t know but I wasn’t aware Blackmon was that brutal of an outfielder. If memory serves many here were clamouring for us to try and trade for him

Defensive stats are always a bit of a crapshoot, but by several #s it looks like he's just completely melted down in the last couple years, bottoming out in 2018 and rebounding a tiny bit last season. His steal totals have fallen off too, so I wonder if it's just a case of his athleticism is dwindling and with it goes his ability to make big defensive plays as he moves towards his mid-30s.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Seems the Reds care not for D (just their last signing :/ )

Seems a smart fit. Jays have some excesses.

Trade them one of our excess OF (Fisher, McKinney) and a pitching prospect not in our top 30 prospects. Should get it done.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Trade them one of our excess OF (Fisher, McKinney) and a pitching prospect not in our top 30 prospects. Should get it done.
I’m not great with baseball values, but that’s pretty lean.
The steak will need a lil sizzle.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
Saw this on the Sports Forecaster website a couple of days ago... but there's been nothing yet on any of the local media outlets. Gabriel Guerrero (OF) has apparently signed a minor league deal with the Blue Jays... including an invitation to spring training. Guerrero is seen as a "toolsy" outfielder... and he is also Vladdy Jr's cousin.

MLB Moves | The Sports Forecaster

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Yes? No?

Blue Jays need to be all-in if Reds are shopping Nick Senzel
GM Ross Atkins recently appeared on “Tim and Sid” and spoke about the farm system and how it could sustain a trade involving prospects if the right fit presented itself. If I am the Jays, I would not include Nate Pearson and would prefer not to include Alek Manoah and Jordan Groshans.
However, I could see an initial offer of Simeon Woods Richardson, Alejandro Kirk and Griffin Conine potentially getting the two sides to the table and at least discussing Senzel. The Blue Jays also have a plethora of young minor league talent in the lower levels.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Yeah the Jays should be all over Senzel who I think was ranked the 4th best prospect entering last year behind Vlad/Tatis/Jimenez IIRC. Reds seem like they're in win now mode so I'd try Giles+McGuire with maybe a pitching prospect(any other than Pearson/SWR)

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Cant see the front office parting with the main piece of the Stroman deal when he really is just starting to gain value. There are plenty of options in the system to build a deal around. We have lots of depth at catcher and in the middle infield. Trade from there.

Reactions: hockeywiz542
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad