Speculation: New Ownership in the works with John Ruddy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Melnyk won’t sell unless he absolutely has to. The Senators are his prized position, he feels it gives him a certain status. Why do you think he always runs to Toronto radio.

Not only that....he can always have the option in his back pocket to sell the Senators in the future and get his 500-700 million or whatever it'll sell at. The franchise isn't going to tank in value, it's actually more likely to go up. But once he sells, the option to buy one is gone forever.

So long as he can maintain whatever house of cards he has going on with the (alleged) borrowing against the team, there's no real reason to sell. Selling for lack of a better term is his get out of jail free card. The sale will get him back what he originally paid, cover the amount of money he's taken out of the franchise, and then give him a healthy profit.

He'll only sell if he has to or is forced to. Once he sells, all the status and notoriety that goes with owning an NHL franchise is gone. He can always sell his NHL franchise and get that big windfall that'll come with selling, he will never be able to buy one or any comparable major sports franchise again.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
And it makes me wonder given the Anselmi situation was widely reported as a mutual decision if there might have been somewhat of a dick swinging contest. Anselmi was not part of the scene when that partnership was formed and with Ruddy helping out in selecting someone new it makes me think there might have been an issue there. entirely speculation on my part bit it kind of adds up.

Ruddy isn't an idiot. If he was as involved as you are suggesting, he absolutely would not be on board with Uncle Euge becoming CEO/President/CFO/COO.

Reactions: NB613

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Ruddy isn't an idiot. If he was as involved as you are suggesting, he absolutely would not be on board with Uncle Euge becoming CEO/President/CFO/COO.

I'm not suggesting he's involved

I replied to someone implying he was

I was hypothesising why he might be involved if it were true he was.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Could be new ownership in the works with John Ruddy?

Don Brennan mentioned him deciding on who to hire as New CEO for the Sens in a article today.

Also Ken Warren has recently alluded to John Ruddy possibly having a role in selecting the next Sens President even tho currently Melnyk is the sole owner.

Discuss...

This was a great example, of how a rumour gets started, without anything more than a post like this.

No where in Brennan's article is Ruddy mentioned in connection of becoming a "new owner".
And the new CEO of the Senators is … Eugene Melnyk

John Ruddy's only connection to Melnyk is with the Lebreton Flats development.

He is in no way connected with the Senators, and would not have a say in who becomes their next President.

Ken Warren actually wrote "Melnyk has never been open to bringing in a partner to help bankroll the Senators, a move that might help the club hit the National Hockey League’s salary cap." back on January 26th .......... but I don't know if that is what your alluding to

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
This was a great example, of how a rumour gets started, without anything more than a post like this.

No where in Brennan's article is Ruddy mentioned in connection of becoming a "new owner".
And the new CEO of the Senators is … Eugene Melnyk

John Ruddy's only connection to Melnyk is with the Lebreton Flats development.

He is in no way connected with the Senators, and would not have a say in who becomes their next President.

Ken Warren actually wrote "Melnyk has never been open to bringing in a partner to help bankroll the Senators, a move that might help the club hit the National Hockey League’s salary cap." back on January 26th .......... but I don't know if that is what your alluding to

Ruddy has an owner never became a rumour beyond people talking about it in this thread.

However, I could very well see him having some say, or at the very least helping Melnyk find a new president, as Tom Anselmi's hiring was in large part to oversee the development of LeBreton (based on his experience), so Rudy should have a say on who will overlook that.

Ottawa Senators hire former MLSE's Tom Anselmi as new president and CEO

Melnyk said the decision to go in a new direction was made last April following the Senators winning the bid for the downtown LeBreton Flats development project, which will include a new arena. "The fact is it is a massive, massive project that will rebuild all of downtown Ottawa and we take it very seriously and for that you need someone with experience and I think Tom brings that," said Melnyk. Overseeing the LeBreton Flats project will be a huge component of Anselmi's responsibilities

Also, you never replied when you were provided with quotes from Alfredsson saying he went to Detroit for the reasons we were saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensung

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Lebreton development is a big project and Ruddy has a major stake in it. Whoever comes in as CEO is going to have to work closely with Ruddy for at least 5 years. It's a rather intelligent call to have Ruddy participate in some capacity given the close relationship he will have with the incoming guy.

And it makes me wonder given the Anselmi situation was widely reported as a mutual decision if there might have been somewhat of a dick swinging contest. Anselmi was not part of the scene when that partnership was formed and with Ruddy helping out in selecting someone new it makes me think there might have been an issue there. entirely speculation on my part bit it kind of adds up.

lol, the issue was not with Ruddy.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I think we can all agree that owning the Sens would be pretty awesome!
Agreed. But the business can only survive based on the community outreach. So, as “cool” as it would be to owning the Sens, do you save face by bringing in a partnership or do you stubbornly let it slip away because your pride is in the way?

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Owning the Sens is like owning a boat - you probably don't want to own one, but you really want a good friend who does so you can enjoy all of the cool benefits without paying the bill.
I’d go for the Sens before the boat. Mind you, I can’t imagine being good friends with EM!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad