Speculation: New Ownership in the works with John Ruddy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
Could be new ownership in the works with John Ruddy?

Don Brennan mentioned him deciding on who to hire as New CEO for the Sens in a article today.

Also Ken Warren has recently alluded to John Ruddy possibly having a role in selecting the next Sens President even tho currently Melnyk is the sole owner.

Discuss...

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
When I read the name I thought of this guy
John-Ruddy-580118.jpg

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
We know Anselmi was brought in to help oversee Lebreton.

Ruddy's involvement with this team has to do with the Lebreton development.

It may very well be the case where Ruddy is not comfortable maintaining his involvement without the right guy in place and given the situation, Ruddy would have the power to force Melnyk to allow him to make that call, because if Ruddy pulls out, Melnyk is screwed.

Reactions: pzeeman

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
We know Anselmi was brought in to help oversee Lebreton.

Ruddy's involvement with this team has to do with the Lebreton development.

It may very well be the case where Ruddy is not comfortable maintaining his involvement without the right guy in place and given the situation, Ruddy would have the power to force Melnyk to allow him to make that call, because if Ruddy pulls out, Melnyk is screwed.

I think it's something along these lines. Ruddy doesn't want to partner with a sinking ship.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If Melnyk is "tired" to lose money, then why is he not selling the franchise? That's actually where he'd make money with the value of a NHL team today, compared to when he bought it for what, ~140 M$?

Why struggling every year just to "keep the boat afloat"?

This team needs an owner not afraid to lose a bit, to potentially gain more in the end.

Or maybe Melnyk is just waiting for that new arena.

Melnyk was probably 2 times richer when he bought the team, and now he is a lot more stressed with money

He did his part in the past to keep the team in Ottawa, but at some point you gotta pass the torch to somebody else.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
It would be nice to see a co-owner to come in and shake things up for the team. Still think Melnyk's to proud to be a co-owner.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ruddy is the founder of Trinity Development Group, majority shareholder of Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group, and was the lead on the revitalization of Lansdowne.

I certainly hope he's involved since this franchise needs an adult in the room.
He's been linked to the Desmarais family as a partner. It would be a dream ownership group if they collaborated. No one knows our market better than Ruddy and his partners while the Desmarais family has very deep pockets. Seems like a fairy tail compared to whats going on at the moment.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He's been linked to the Desmarais family as a partner. It would be a dream ownership group if they collaborated. No one knows our market better than Ruddy and his partners while the Desmarais family has very deep pockets. Seems like a fairy tail compared to whats going on at the moment.

Lebreton development is a big project and Ruddy has a major stake in it. Whoever comes in as CEO is going to have to work closely with Ruddy for at least 5 years. It's a rather intelligent call to have Ruddy participate in some capacity given the close relationship he will have with the incoming guy.

And it makes me wonder given the Anselmi situation was widely reported as a mutual decision if there might have been somewhat of a dick swinging contest. Anselmi was not part of the scene when that partnership was formed and with Ruddy helping out in selecting someone new it makes me think there might have been an issue there. entirely speculation on my part bit it kind of adds up.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Although the Sens and Lebreton are intricately linked, they are separate ventures. EM displays many signs of being a control freak, so I doubt he takes on a partner to run the Sens. If he takes on a partner/investor, it would be for less than 20%... big enough to bark, but not enough to bite!

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Melnyk won’t sell unless he absolutely has to. The Senators are his prized position, he feels it gives him a certain status. Why do you think he always runs to Toronto radio.

Reactions: NB613 and pzeeman

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Melnyk won’t sell unless he absolutely has to. The Senators are his prized position, he feels it gives him a certain status. Why do you think he always runs to Toronto radio.

Well if you really look at it , they are his only productive business at the moment.

As long as he owns them , he gets richer.

As soon as he sells , he's a very very wealthy man still , but he's not "the man" anywhere anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad