OT: New OT Bread

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
As If I'm not buying infant-a few years old. Oh, and matching Dad stuff for me as well (my wife is less aware of this part :sarcasm:).

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
As If I'm not buying infant-a few years old. Oh, and matching Dad stuff for me as well (my wife is less aware of this part :sarcasm:).
I had bought up to about 9 months I think. But she was long for an infant and she's tall for a toddler, so it was there and gone in an instant. And now that we can watch games together she's decided she likes the Stars because of the pretty green, and I am NOT buying her Stars gear.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Did an ~11 mile hike at the grand canyon yesterday. There were/are some regrets but it was spectacular there.

I loved the camaraderie. As I'm stopping to catch my breath after a couple switchbacks going up, people who are jogging down hill were cheering me on. People just adopt you and invite you to join their group for a few miles. It was really awesome.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
Did an ~11 mile hike at the grand canyon yesterday. There were/are some regrets but it was spectacular there.

I loved the camaraderie. As I'm stopping to catch my breath after a couple switchbacks going up, people who are jogging down hill were cheering me on. People just adopt you and invite you to join their group for a few miles. It was really awesome.
Was it to much people? Thinking me going hiking to avoid big city crowds and stress. Being from a country with low population density and lots of nature it's much easier here, but I think it's also on a scale compared to normal day. I live in a city with about 60k pop and I still complain about traffic.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Was it to much people? Thinking me going hiking to avoid big city crowds and stress. Being from a country with low population density and lots of nature it's much easier here, but I think it's also on a scale compared to normal day. I live in a city with about 60k pop and I still complain about traffic.

It wasn't too bad for me, I would say a moderate amount of traffic. I went to the north rim which has only been open for about a week now. When I first got to the trailhead shortly after sunrise there was a ton of people (close to 100+) but those were the large groups doing rim to rim. So I just went to the visitor center, got some sunrise pics of the whole canyon and then went back to the trailhead. By then those groups had already departed so there was way less people.

Reactions: Magnus the Duck
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

Thought you were going to say you made friends with a mule.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
The US is a huge, mostly empty country. Outside of So Cal and the Northeast Corridor, you're never more than an hour from total isolation. The Grand Canyon is a tourist attraction and even there, outside of the occasional tour group you're pretty much alone, especially at the North Rim where nobody goes because it isn't quite as dramatic a view and there's only a couple places to stay.

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
The US is a huge, mostly empty country. Outside of So Cal and the Northeast Corridor, you're never more than an hour from total isolation. The Grand Canyon is a tourist attraction and even there, outside of the occasional tour group you're pretty much alone, especially at the North Rim where nobody goes because it isn't quite as dramatic a view and there's only a couple places to stay.

Of course, I guess it depends on where you live and how far you want to go.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
60k pop is about the average size of a suburb city in southern Orange County about 30-50 minutes from Ducks games. To me Anaheim is a big city in Orange County because I am used to living in towns from 30k to 90k pop.

You would probably like San Clemente(64k), Dana Point(33k) and Laguna Beach(33k). Suburb towns with beaches and low population. I grew up in those towns. There is also parts of OC that have a tiny population like Silverado canyon where people can ride horses and off road dirt biking.

Even at 300k pop Anaheim is very tiny compared to the mega big city's like LA, San Francisco, NYC, Chicago etc

Reactions: Magnus the Duck

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Didn't realize Forslund was let go by the Canes after last season, and was then swooped up by Seattle. Man, would've loved if they fired Ahlers to get him. Although, for a guy who has one of the best "he/they score!" calls, he wouldn't be saying it a whole lot for the Ducks. That'd be a shame.

Listening to Pierre talk on the broadcast, I wonder if he's the same way on the plane rides and everybody traveling draws straws to avoid sitting next to him. Who doesn't love the guy that just doesn't stop?

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Another Copper River salmon season has come and just about gone. The salmon is outstanding, and you should try it once if you never have. But it is really expensive given the reputation that it now has for being outstanding. Still, it is worth it for one or two meals, as a treat. If you can still find it in a specialty seafood store (Santa Monica Seafood Company in Costa Mesa), I would recommend trying it.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Anyone ever play hockey at the West Covina roller hockey rinks?

If so how is it? Been thinking about joining and adult roller hockey team(havnt played in 12 years) . I live in diamond bar so it’s between West Covina rink and the corona rink

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Anyone ever play hockey at the West Covina roller hockey rinks?

If so how is it? Been thinking about joining and adult roller hockey team(havnt played in 12 years) . I live in diamond bar so it’s between West Covina rink and the corona rink
I grew up in West Covina My best friend played and knew all the guys who ran them and I would occasionally play there, but haven't really been around in 15+ years. Last time I even played was cosmic hockey there in '07! Back then it was one of the better facilities and NHLers were known to pop in occasionally (Luc Robitaille, Bobby Ryan to name a couple.) There wasn't a whole lot of talent at the time, assuming the growth of the game has changed that though. It was quickly becoming the hub for high school games and rec leagues.

Let's put it this way, you probably won't have a bad experience if you check it out.

Reactions: Getz2noone
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Oh man, if you guys want to make additions to your ignore list you better check out the International forum GDT threads. It's a gold mine.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Oh man, if you guys want to make additions to your ignore list you better check out the International forum GDT threads. It's a gold mine.

Every time Finland plays against one of the North American teams.

Every. Time.

Hockey1993

Oct 24, 2016
Totally random thought, how many Ducks fans here actually like our goal horn? I just watched a Trevor Zegras highlight video, and that horn just sucked the life right outta me! Granted, most of the clips were from when the Honda was totally void of fans, but it really drove home just how low and lifeless that horn is. It makes me envy teams like Vegas, Tampa, and Colorado, whose arena atmospheres and goal horns seem way more intense.
Do you all love it? Hate it? Wish for it to change?
Its the off-season, so I got plenty of time to nitpick little things like this haha

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Totally random thought, how many Ducks fans here actually like our goal horn? I just watched a Trevor Zegras highlight video, and that horn just sucked the life right outta me! Granted, most of the clips were from when the Honda was totally void of fans, but it really drove home just how low and lifeless that horn is. It makes me envy teams like Vegas, Tampa, and Colorado, whose arena atmospheres and goal horns seem way more intense.
Do you all love it? Hate it? Wish for it to change?
Its the off-season, so I got plenty of time to nitpick little things like this haha
I love the Ducks goal horn, it sounds like a Viking Sea Raid horn out of the tv series Vikings or Assassin's Creed Valhalla lol.
From what i've seen before the Ducks goal horn was listed as one of the best in the league and one of the most unique.
Most of the NHL horns sound the same.

Did you know that Brent Burns of the SJ Sharks appeared in the last season of Vikings ? It would have made more sense if they had Swedish NHLer appear instead though.
What is also interesting is that there is a Orange County connection to Vikings, Ragga Ragnars went to high school in Mission Viejo after She moved to California from Iceland, She appeared in the Olympics in swimming and eventually became an actress and ended up playing Gunhilda the wife of Bjorn.

Reactions: Hockey1993

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->