NFL: new nfl rules

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
For the catch rule, the requirement to maintain control of the ball throughout the process of going to the ground no longer applies. The new rule establishes three elements of a catch: control, in bounds and a "football move."
A "football move" will be an act such as a third step, a reach toward the line to gain yardage or the ability to perform such an act. On-field officials will be required to judge whether it occurs.
NFL executive vice president Troy Vincent said last week that the catch will continue to be subject to replay. "If someone asks, 'What is a catch?'" Vincent said, "we can say, 'It's control, two feet and perform a football act.' OK, now that makes sense."

For the new ejection rule, senior vice president of officiating Al Riveron now has the authority to eject players from games for egregious non-football acts. Referees will also continue to have the authority to eject players as well.
The Jets withdrew their proposal to make defensive pass interference a 15-yard penalty. It generated strong discussion but did not have the widespread support to pass.

Reactions: tacogeoff

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Pretty f***ed up that they apparently put these rules into affect right before the SB without telling anyone

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Is that lowering the helmet rule going to be reviewable? I know people don't want more delays but if they're going to start ejecting people, I hope they can review the plays and communicate with the league office. Also, if I'm understanding this rule correctly, Adrian Peterson could've been ejected from every other game if this was in place back then.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Is that lowering the helmet rule going to be reviewable? I know people don't want more delays but if they're going to start ejecting people, I hope they can review the plays and communicate with the league office. Also, if I'm understanding this rule correctly, Adrian Peterson could've been ejected from every other game if this was in place back then.

From the wording it says that whoever initiates contact. My guess? If it's super egregious, you're gone.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I actually like this. Shazier nearly killed himself by dropping his head.

I have a sick feeling that the NFL is going to try to go back now retroactively screw Shazier when it comes to his salary or a lawsuit and say he made an illegal hit.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I have a sick feeling that the NFL is going to try to go back now retroactively screw Shazier when it comes to his salary or a lawsuit and say he made an illegal hit.
That’s two rather sardonic takes on just the first page of this thread. All of these rules were always coming

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I think people assume the rule is about defenders but I think this is aimed at offensive players who use their helmets to initiate contact.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
That’s two rather sardonic takes on just the first page of this thread. All of these rules were always coming

My first point on the catch rule is a fact. They played the whole season by one set of rules up till the last game of the season where they changed them. I get it's the Patriots so no one cares but that's a huge integrity of the game issue.

My 2nd point we will see how it plays out, but if you think the NFL would be above shady shit like that, then you just aren't paying attention.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
The NFL isn't a dictatorship that can make up their own legal system. If they wanted to strip Shazier of his salary, which they won't, they will just get sued and lose in a cour...you know why I am I even bothering

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
2 feet down is the rule they always played with, they just let replay muck it up and psyche people out

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
2 feet down is the rule they always played with, they just let replay muck it up and psyche people out

You still need another element in addition to this and possession (such as time, or a football move etc) otherwise you are calling a catch those bang bang plays where that criteria is met for a split second, and I don't think anybody wants that.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
About five years ago I was listening to an interview by Chris Doleman. He thought that if the defensive backs were allowed to start mugging the receivers again, it would prevent concussions.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
The NFL isn't a dictatorship that can make up their own legal system. If they wanted to strip Shazier of his salary, which they won't, they will just get sued and lose in a cour...you know why I am I even bothering

I'm not saying that it is going to happen, but I just don't trust the NFL motives. Feels like they are more worried about getting sued or being held liable more than anything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad