Online Series: New Mighty Ducks on Disney+

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I enjoyed it a lot, I can understand why Charlie and Russ wouldn't show up from a those two guys are really busy perspective. I can understand why Goldberg wasn't involved either. But it was a nice little episode.
Goldberg wasn't asked because of his previous drug problems. Could have been something he needed..

Is there a reason for the time skip from 92 to 98 for the original ducks?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I was laughing when the original Ducks were playing the Why Bothers because I saw a clip of them playing in real life at a reunion...

They made the original Ducks look like bad asses, but the real actors lost any skill they had years ago.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
What a slapper! Koob evolved in seconds ...

A bit boring with that they can't get the actors play with lefties as almost all doubles seem to be lefties and 80% of the team have righties..

Reactions: Jussi

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Ive been enjoying the series so far. Its cheesy and corny at times but thats expected considering the show is targeted towards kids. I find the show strikes a good balance between continuing the franchise and honoring the past and appealing to a new generation of viewers.

Reactions: Jussi and mattihp

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
It's like this in every kids sports movie.

Daniel Larusso presumably beat a multi-year champion in karate after a few months.

I still think they will lose the Championship (or final game or whatever) but earn respect.

That way, they can actually win it in Season 2.
That's a good bet. Im expecting a close final game that either ends in a tightly fought OT or shootout. Then season 2 builds towards a championship win followed by season 3 being focused on life as defending champs.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I like the switch in Alex, the only problem I have with this series is they seem to be rushing things, everything gets resolved really quickly. You get the sense that the Don't bothers are going to win everything in the first year.

I want to add that Big Shot, also on Disney with John Stamos follows a similar story line, but is a bit more serious, and actually a really good watch, Uncle Jessie has done a great job of it so far, and the episode where his dad dies is pretty gut wrenching.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I'm enjoying it so far. I like how they're calling attention to the hyper competitiveness of youth hockey and made the Ducks the bad guys. It's a slight twist on the original story, making it new enough.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
You know what would have made this awesome, if Charlie was the coach of the ducks and was a un repentent jerk who wanted to teach hockey and win the right way when he round out that the Flying V and the knuckle puck didn't work at a junior hockey level and he was actually a pretty lousy two way player. Now his sole goal in life is to crush the phony jerk coached who didn't teach him how to actually play hockey.

Reactions: mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
You know what would have made this awesome, if Charlie was the coach of the ducks and was a un repentent jerk who wanted to teach hockey and win the right way when he round out that the Flying V and the knuckle puck didn't work at a junior hockey level and he was actually a pretty lousy two way player. Now his sole goal in life is to crush the phony jerk coached who didn't teach him how to actually play hockey.
I at least expected him to make an appearance..

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Steven Brill is a huge hockey fan. I more get the feeling that some parts are a bit dumbed down to draw in people who are not yet into hockey.

Possible. When you know the sport it is kind of funny to watch at time. Like no minor league team would be iced with I think 2 spare players on the bench? And I think the first or second episode there is a hit at the end of the game and the ref is going to call a penalty and the player says the game is over so the red replies remind me next game you start in the box or something like that lol

Reactions: mattihp

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Possible. When you know the sport it is kind of funny to watch at time. Like no minor league team would be iced with I think 2 spare players on the bench? And I think the first or second episode there is a hit at the end of the game and the ref is going to call a penalty and the player says the game is over so the red replies remind me next game you start in the box or something like that lol

Sports in TV shows/movies rarely make sense.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Anybody else get the feeling the writers of this series know nothing about hockey?

They are crafting an underdog story that draws people in.

No one wants to know that 12 year old kids who just started hockey would get demolished by kids who have been playing since they were 4 years old.

There are so many skills hockey players have to develop that there is zero chance they could ever close that gap in a few months.

It would have been more realistic if they had a team full of Evans who got cut, but had a more extensive hockey background than a few months.

You just go with it and know it’s all silliness.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
They are crafting an underdog story that draws people in.

No one wants to know that 12 year old kids who just started hockey would get demolished by kids who have been playing since they were 4 years old.

There are so many skills hockey players have to develop that there is zero chance they could ever close that gap in a few months.

It would have been more realistic if they had a team full of Evans who got cut, but had a more extensive hockey background than a few months.

You just go with it and know it’s all silliness.
Indeed, I noticed that also like one session on the pond with Bombay and the goalie can suddenly stop a puck lol I mean the original movie had its cheese also, don't get me wrong, but the cheese in this show is off the charts!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Indeed, I noticed that also like one session on the pond with Bombay and the goalie can suddenly stop a puck lol I mean the original movie had its cheese also, don't get me wrong, but the cheese in this show is off the charts!

Ya, if hockey development worked this way in real life, my daughter would be a HOFer at 10.

I guess they are trying to pretend like having quick twitch reactions at video games will automatically translate to real hockey with the goalie...

My bro was insane at video games, especially EA NHL, and he was one of the worst goalies I ever saw in real life. He didn’t even get much better after like ten years so... uh ya.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The cheese was extremely strong with that episode, but it worked. It was fun. Once again, got the tone of the originals right.

Nice call back to the Portman hearing in D-3 :laugh:

Season has been very good. I hope the finale is as good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->