New Memorial cup format

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
How about a March Madness style!!!

16 teams in groups of 4
one game elimination
winner from each group goes to the final four.

The 3 Junior league Championships and the top regular season team will host the preliminary round.
A neutral site would host the final four.

5 teams from each league and how about the USHL champ.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

16 teams in groups of 4
one game elimination

The 3 Junior league Championships and the top regular season team will host the preliminary round.

Why?

stars33

Jan 29, 2011
New York
The NHL network had all the games in previous years in the US. But this year they only showed the final. Reason: No ratings. And i also heard that TSN wanted to change the format to make it more appealing to all hockey fans in North America.

They want to do to the memorial cup like what they did for the WJC.

OTownApologist

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, ON

16 teams in groups of 4
one game elimination

I strongly disagree. For one, definitely not the USHL champ, it's a CHL trophy with almost a century of history. The tournament hasn't changed in 40 years, it would be silly to start now for profit. The ratings were insane the year that MacKinnon, Drouin, and Jones were all playing.

Plus, the amount of hockey that would be necessary if you changed the format? There's already 4 series of playoffs, then you have to play the other league champions. It's probably the toughest trophy to win in hockey. If there was a bracket tournament with all those other teams involved, the kids would be dead by the end, it would run right into the time for the Draft Combine, which would delay everything...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Yeah, no. It would be crazy to shorten the playoffs at all, either in number of games played or total number of days from game 68 to the Cup going up in the air. And as OTA mentioned, they'd be exhausted by the end of it all.

Really, the only potential benefit to this is, as a fan, your team potentially coming back to life.

Also, no to the USHL champion. Maybe the RBC Cup champion, but only so I can see a Hull/Carleton Place game. ;)

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I do wish they could do away with the host team, although obviously I understand why they have it in place. It's such a bizarre clash though: 4 7 game series in your own ~20 team league and then a 1/4 shot at the Memorial Cup, vs. a 1/4 shot at the Memorial Cup right off the bat. It's like it's the hardest trophy in sports to win + the easiest trophy in sports to win at the same time.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton

16 teams in groups of 4
one game elimination

It ain't broken the way it is, don't try to fix it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->