New marketing for NHL somewhat

2fast4u2*

Hey,I thought of an idea this weekend and figured i would see how everyone else felt about it.I was thinking a good PR thing for the NHL and players since they are already doing breast cancer stuff would be to have allll the teams that are playing on breast cancer awareness day wear the PINK jerseys like you see some of the women/girls wear.Then at the end of game have the players autograph the jerseys that they wore and auction then off with all proceeds goin to breast cancer.....how do you think that would go over boys?????

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
ECHL Stockton Thunder does it. Did their fifth year (first weekend in November).

NHL already has their "Hockey Supports Cancer" month in October. (Not only breast, but others) And there have been Captain's jerseys with special patch that have been auctioned off.

Hockey players (NHLPA/grass roots) did a pink stick thing for a few years.

Just don't see this as a separate thing. Maybe part of HSC.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Manitoba Moose of the AHL are involved in what you are describing. It would be tough to have an entire league involved with a pink jersey campaign. Would be a neet effect when the teams came onto the ice. It would look like someone spilled Pepto Bismol all over the ice from the upper deck vantage point. It would just be difficult to find who to pass to.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
So sick of breast cancer getting the lion share of the cancer funding. Most people survive, and we have pretty good detection technology for it.

Let's move on to something like pancreatic cancer, which we are so bad at detecting that if you find out you have it on Thanksgiving, odds are you are dead before Christmas.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The charity + sports partnership is one that has always baffled me as to how it got so big. Breast cancer is obviously the best marketed charity.... and I guess it is kind of the sexy charity to support, because really, who doesn't love boobs? But, the value of the advertising that the NFL gives to breast cancer (nevermind the donations) is astronomical. For a month, all of the players accessories are pink, as breast cancer has basically claimed that colour.

I guess they figure that it'll help in the key women's demographic? Beyond that I really can't see the busines case for it, and even with that justification, are women really going to start watching football? If the NHL were to engage in a widespread charity initiative, I'd like to see it at least have something to do with the game. Local initiaves are problably more effective (for example the Leafs refurbish old rinks in Toronto), but the widespread initiatives are the ones that get people talking.

Prostate cancer is another charity that is definitely doing a good job, for at least 1 month of the year.

2fast4u2*

you dont have to get the WHOLE NHL to do it every year just the teams that are playing that day......one team WHITE AND PINK other team BLACK AND PINK.......simple enough you know how much a PINK Crosby( and i hate Crosby) jersey would go for to some woman(or even man)? lmao he would look so fitting in pink IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->