New line: Bournival-Briere-Bourque

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
People are ready to promote Briere over Plekanec, really?

Let's see how Briere looks, first. Becuase if he looks anything like he did last year, then magical playoff voodoo that lets you shoot 30% against a Pittsburgh team playing no defense can only get you so far.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Now get rid of Desharnais and Gionta and find a rugged two-way winger who can skate to play with Pacioretty and Plekanec (no, not Moen). That's who he should have been looking for in the first place, not Briere. Can't have Gio on this line because he doesn't distribute the puck and takes ridiculous shots. Needs a net crasher/puck digger/back checker and let Patches do the shooting and Pleks create.

Last edited:

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I'm quite excited to see Briere at center. He's shown flashes of skill on the wing but everything I've heard points to him being a MUCH better player in the middle. Think about how Eller looked on the wing. If Briere has the same issues, we might actually have a useful player on our hands.

Frank Doby

Feb 6, 2008
Daniel Brière played well tonight. With Bournival or Pacioretty and Bourque, could be a good one.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Bournival-Pleks-Gio has proven to be a dynamite line.
EGG - eggs are good source of protein which is good for building muscle. This is the muscle of the team haha
Pacioretty-Briere-Bourque - Having our best winger(2nd best?) on the 3rd line facing 3rd line opposition is an amazing luxury to have plus Briere finally playing his natural position. Has the potential to be the deadliest 3rd line in the league?
When Prust comes back, Moen-White-Prust is an amazing fourth line. When everybody is healthy this lineup has a lot of punch. Seems most logical to me with the way everyone is playing and would be a lot of fun to watch!

Our best offensive possession didn't happen until MT re-united Bournival-Plecks-Gio in the 3rd. And who scores the trying goal? Pacioretty-Briere-Bourque. Why does it take him almost the whole ****ing game to figure out what we already knew! Hey it only took him a season and a half to finally bench DD. **** youuuuu Terrien! So sick of this buffoon! If he was in front of me right now I would barf on his face!

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Our best offensive possession didn't happen until MT re-united Bournival-Plecks-Gio in the 3rd. And who scores the trying goal? Pacioretty-Briere-Bourque. Why does it take him almost the whole ****ing game to figure out what we already knew! Hey it only took him a season and a half to finally bench DD. **** youuuuu Terrien! So sick of this buffoon! If he was in front of me right now I would barf on his face!

I think we should coach the Habs instead. :) The lines that MT ended with was what I suggested yesterday.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I don't care which one is consider 1st, 2nd or 3rd line

Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
Bournival - Plekanec - Gionta
Pacioretty - Briere - Bourque

Just like in the 3rd period.
Kids Line need to get a little bit more slack and the Briere line can do that.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I had flashbacks of Gilbert Dionne tonight, after Briere let everyone know he scored that goal.. off of his pads...

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
For all the **** Briere gets, he has pretty much the same PPG and GPG as Gionta, who doesn't get nearly as much criticism.

Waiting until Habs re-sign Gionta longterm...

In all seriousness, he does get a lot of criticism. He just gets some slack for being useful defensively and expiring contract with no rumour of being re-signed.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Agree.

The Briere line is off to a blazing start.;) Bourque is still an anchor. I cant wait for Prust to get back and Therrien come to the realization that Prust on the Briere line with Pacioretty is so much better than Bourque.

Bourque looks good on a line with Moen.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011

Yah I like that line-up also. I think Briere should play with Pacioretty and Bournival with Plekanec.
It will take a few games to see how well Briere is going to play after being out for a while...needs to get his legs moving.
So I hope he does good because we need to get 3 lines going if we want to go on a winning streak.
Tonights one point will help us later in the season and playoff race.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Briere had the Desharnais handcuffs removed and looked really good. Once Pacioretty and Danny start clicking, they will produce. Leave Bournival with Pleks and the Captain. Habs will be so much better with Prust and Emelin back.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Briere had the Desharnais handcuffs removed and looked really good. Once Pacioretty and Danny start clicking, they will produce. Leave Bournival with Pleks and the Captain. Habs will be so much better with Prust and Emelin back.

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Murray - Diaz

Bouillon didn't helped the PP....didn't play on the PK and he is -9 at ES.
Murray at least helped the PK, he is clean the crease and bring a big physical presence.

Both side got their big guy.
Both side got their offensive players.
And our defense doesn't look so small and weak anymore.

Murray + Emelin assure a plysical presence on defense for about 30-35 minutes a games, which we didn't see for at least 6-7 years.

Moen - White - Prust = Really grat defensive and though 4th line!

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Agree.

The Briere line is off to a blazing start.;) Bourque is still an anchor. I cant wait for Prust to get back and Therrien come to the realization that Prust on the Briere line with Pacioretty is so much better than Bourque.

Bourque looks good on a line with Moen.

I don't see why, Bourque has been very good all year. Sure he makes a little too many dandy plays and he's trying to be more skill than grind but he's been creating tons of chances that a player like Prust won't be able to emulate.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
How did the Briere line look the rest of the night? I only saw the first period, they looked alright then. I saw he had a goal but it was a bit flukey.

Timelord

Stanley Cup polisher
Dec 18, 2011
How did the Briere line look the rest of the night? I only saw the first period, they looked alright then. I saw he had a goal but it was a bit flukey.

They were hemmed in a lot, and ineffective enough that Therrien mercifully took Bournival off the line and put in Patches. They sort of clicked with the goal (and Bournival looked really strong with Pleks again), but as you saw, Patches basically banked a shot off Briere's chest. At least he went to the net.

Frank Doby

Feb 6, 2008
Briere shows that he is a natural center. He was really impressive and i think that he will be even better during the next game between Pacioretty or Bournival and Bourque. This guy is good. I am hoping that Therrien will give him a real chance at this position (at least 10 games).

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I don't see why, Bourque has been very good all year. Sure he makes a little too many dandy plays and he's trying to be more skill than grind but he's been creating tons of chances that a player like Prust won't be able to emulate.

People have already forgotten the great job Prust did with the Gallys last season.

Remember the cute nickname thread?:sarcasm: And remember how well the team was performing when Bourque was injured? We did not have any floating last season.

Prust is a 3rd line player.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Briere looks done. He got that goal, but he was slow all night, second on every puck and made a lot of sloppy and rushed plays. I hope the last two had to do with the rust of not playing for a while, but if he really did lose his speed because of age and that makes him second on loose pucks as a result, I don't see a lot of success here.

He's also not very engaged in the defensive zone. He'll cover the passing lane, but he won't use his stick or body to tie up the person he's covering, that's just appears very lazy to me, especially when you consider that he's a centreman, and when you consider how Eller, White and Plekanec are all very active in their own zone, using their body to retrieve the puck and fighting for possession below the hashmarks and behind the net.

The only bright spot that I've seen all season is that he has a knack at picking off break out passes just outside the opponents blue-line. Problem is when he does, he rushes his play and it dies. I hope this isn't a trend.

Also, I've noticed that in the offensive zone, the only board battles he'll engage in is behind the goal-line. When a battle is engaged on the half-wall, he's very lackadaisical and obviously doesn't give a full effort.

I don't like what I've seen, but I'll put up with it so long as he and Desharnais are not in the lineup at the same time. We don't need both players.

Last edited:

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Briere looks done. He got that goal, but he was slow all night, second on every puck and made a lot of sloppy and rushed plays. I hope the last two had to do with the rust of not playing for a while, but if he really did lose his speed because of age and that makes him second on loose pucks as a result, I don't see a lot of success here.

He's also not very engages in the defensive zone. He'll cover the passing lane, but he won't use his stick or body to tie up the person he's covering, that's just appears very lazy to me.

If you compare Briere to Bournival, yes he has slowed a stride or two. If you compare Briere to Bourque, he looked like a 24 year old.

Its all perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->