New League

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by Sensored, Sep 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Sensored

Sensored Registered User

you want to fix the league heres what i purpose you do:

first make a new league called the NAHL (North American Hockey League) with three conferences six divisions and 24 teams

Canadian Division

East

Montreal Canadiens
    Ottawa Senators
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    Quebec Nordiques

West

Vancouver Canucks
    Edmonton Oilers
    Calgary Flames
    Winnipeg Jets

Western Conference

North Division

Minnesota Wild
    Colombus Blue Jackets
    St.Louis Blues
    Colorado Avalanche

South Division

San Jose Sharks
    Los Angeles Kings
    Phoenix Coyotes
    Dallas Stars

Eastern Conference

North Division

Detroit Red Wings
    Buffalo Sabres
    Boston Bruins
    New Jersey Devils

South Division

New York Islanders
    New York Rangers
    Philadelphia Flyers
    Tampa Bay Lightning

For the playoffs have the top team in each division making 1-6 and the teams with the most points 7-12. Have a 72 game season with each team playing each other 3 times.

Secondly have a clause in the new contract that has a salary cap and a one-time reduction in salaries.

Third have the same rosters for the teams remaining with quebec getting carolina's players and winnipeg getting florida's and the players that had their teams fold become free agents.

This way we'd have a super league with teams in cities that care and profits so that the teams can remain where they're.

:) let the flames begin

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  2. Drrocket9

Drrocket9 Registered User

i like the concept, but.....

how would you set up playoffs with 12 teams? 1st round byes?

would you go 4 top division winners get byes, while 5-12 play each other down to 4 teams, and then go against the 4 bye teams?

3. Guest

Guest Registered User

I love how 8 teams just disappear and Winnipeg & Quebec reappear in the process.

Playoffs don't work well in terms of seeding in anything less the exponents of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32 teams, etc.) You can't split 3 into any of those numbers evenly, so it becomes a more complicated process than necessary. You could just take the top 16 teams from all 3 conferences, but again the 3's don't work as nicely.

I'd rather see either 4 total division of 7-8 teams each, and go back to that similar format of the past.

4. The Kitner Boy

The Kitner Boy Registered User

Home Page:
    If Quebec gets Phoenix's players who would play for Phoenix?

BTW
    This is a terrible idea.

5. Guest

Guest Registered User

Forgot to mention Phoenix is on his 24 team list.

Shouldn't something like this maybe be designated for the fantasy forum? Some proposals are realistic while some are quite the fantasy.

6. Sensored

Sensored Registered User

your absouletly right, i guess i didnt put much thought into the playoff configuration. Actually now that i think about it it would be better if it remained the same and we had 16 teams in the playoffs more money for the teams that way.

And my mistake with the Phoenix thing i meant to write Carolina.

7. ForsbergForever

ForsbergForever Red Rocket

8. thinkwild

thinkwild Veni Vidi Toga

Its not a bad idea. The only thing I would add is that each team should get $200 for passing go. It does hit on the problem though. Half the teams dont make the playoffs. The best solution would be a 16 team league where everyone makes the playoffs. Otherwise there is too big a revenue disparity. There still will be as some teams will make 4 rounds of revenue and others only one, but still it will be better than now.

9. Brent Burns Beard

Brent Burns Beard DontTouchMyDonskoi!

lol .... too funny.

10. Tom_Benjamin

Tom_Benjamin Registered User

Home Page:
    I think there is a critical point buried in this joke. There is a huge revenue disparity in the NHL because of the playoffs. Calgary and Tampa played 24 or 25 games more than all the teams that missed the playoffs. It is a zero sum game. Only 16 teams can make it. Unless there is significant revenue sharing there must be large revenue disparities between the successful teams and the unsuccessful ones.

There is no real revenue sharing in the NHL. None. The most significant sharing now goes from the Canadian teams to the American ones. If National TV revenues were not pooled across the border, the Canadian teams would pull down $10 million US a piece from the CBC. To get a fair deal with the American teams, the US package would have to be $240 million.

I'd like to see the six Canadian teams lift the lockout, cut a separate deal with the CBC and start playing.

Tom

Last edited: Oct 2, 2004
  11. thinkwild

thinkwild Veni Vidi Toga

:) Now how can you not support this idea. I dont think any of the Canadian teams are complaining anymore. Its the American teams that have to pay all their expenses in the more costly American dollar and cant get the attendance or tv contracts to play in the big leagues.

They could even agree to not sign any of the unsigned players, just use their farms until its over.

Is any Canadian team threatened any more. Is any Canadian team incapable of putting together a great team that will sell out with average ticket prices in the $50 dollar range? Is there any reason to get a new CBA to protect Canadian teams?

12. Devils Badvocate

Devils Badvocate Don't be a Hayter

and why will the players approve a salary cap in a new league?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.