New KHL Webcast Subscriptions

ult

Sep 21, 2009
I'm sorry but you can't separate the clubs from the league. NHL doesn't do it either. If the clubs aren't making enough profit, then the league isn't either.

And that's why NJ are in $230 mln debt? As well as a number of nhl franchises who's been losing money for years. Yet nhl is profitable and all. :rolleyes:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And that's why NJ are in $230 mln debt? As well as a number of nhl franchises who's been losing money for years. Yet nhl is profitable and all. :rolleyes:

:laugh: Profit is always counted annually. New Jersey's debt is on the arena and owner, not because of their operations. Come on, at least try a little.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
debt is debt, nobody cares what is a reason for it. It is funny that Jussi says these words ... you say something else in two similar situations - Jokerit and NJD.

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
To KHL haters:
There is an eastern proverb "Dogs are barking but the caravan keeps going".

I like how you called it eastern, since that's the exact attitude the majority of the clubs in the Eastern Conference employ. And it's pretty damn frustrating to see that there are fans who get defensive over it.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Wait, I thought Nordic countries and other Europeans didnt give a sht about the KHL and would rather watch their local rivalries. Why does it even matter then?

Vorky has a point in that there has to be a cost-benefit analysis made before implementing large systems that incur a high cost.

Do you know that even now the Russian language version of the KHL product is in no way competing with NHL's game center? What is the high cost that you're talking about? I went to the official site today and I see that it's improving, even the English version how has a few articles and interviews from Kazakhstan president's cup and that's cool but it's still nowhere near the coverage (even the Russian version) that NHL does on its site. And it's not just about the number of news but about the quality of them.

You know why Nordic countries and Europeans don't give a sht about KHL? Because they don't know what's going on there. That's why I don't know much about other European leagues too, cause I don't read the language.

We can just go and look at the current KHL top news in English- a bunch of by the numbers interviews, a small article about Kazakhstan Cup and a logo for new season. If we go on NHL, we find a bit of history concerning Gretzky trade , analysis of Wild's chances next season, an interesting article on guys traded too soon, even the effin' Hlinka tournament THAT TOOK PLACE IN EUROPE and is in no way related to NHL. Guess if you can find such info on KHL.ru (though if Russia had won or gotten medals I have no doubt we would have an article :laugh:)

I personally don't care about NHL and have watched like 2 games last year, I don't know sh** about Wild and what problems they might face and what solutions might there be, but I go on NHL.com and I can read a lengthy article on what the coach thinks, who was or wasn't signed and how they see the situation. When I go to the KHL site's news page I see a seemingly similar article about Kazan and start smiling... only to realize that famous "cifri i fakti'' (facts and numbers) have only changed in a way that the title of such news now is more compelling- I see various statistical data of Kazan players over the last 17!!! seasons (no doubt useful information especially for people obsessed with stats, but perhaps instead as it is pre-season you could have written a story about whom Kazan signed, what they want to do with the team and how they see the future).

I have thought about writing a blog about KHL in English to fill the void, give people who don't speak Russian a bit bigger overview about things that happen in KHL. Instead of ''facts and numbers'' and ''Vityaz beat Yekaterinburg Motorist 1:0, goal scored by Tolstozhopov (23)" game synopses give people a flavour of KHL hockey- the ideologies of teams, what are the main rivalries, funny bits about coaches and pundits talking nonsense in interviews... Radulov's antics etc. Obviously a lot of this is available here, on hfboards and I don't have as much free time to do such a thing but it could be fun.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Latgale_fan, it is easy to compain all the time, it is harder to do something/develop something. Hope you get it.

I can tell you that slovaks have reports from every preseason game in KHL, and off course, it could be better.. everything can be better. It is not easy to cover everything, as you would like to see.... especially if you dont have ppl to do it.

metmag

Mar 4, 2013
You know why Nordic countries and Europeans don't give a sht about KHL? Because they don't know what's going on there. That's why I don't know much about other European leagues too, cause I don't read the language.

I actually agree with alot of what you are saying. Even though originally I was addressing the fact that the KHL may not be able to offer you 100% of the games in all payment formats of your convenience and not evaluating the covering/journalism methods the KHL employs for its coverage.
I agree with you that the KHL has much to do in the field of promotion/marketing and I think it is pretty much a consensus that only SKA is doing it right. I am, however, reluctant to be so critical at this point due to the fact that there are substantial improvements every year. 6 years ago even Russians didnt know what was happening in the RSL, neverming statistical coverage and game highlight and press releases with fully available calendars. Also, I find it that too many people are overly critical( like Faterson) and forget the fact that even in its current state, KHL coverage is much better than NLA, and other top leagues. By far.
Everything is relative; Relative to other leagues, and to itself some time ago. Some people seem to suggest that they are disappointing that they are not being offered premier, top class, NHL level media(and everything else) from the KHL. Right now. In my opinion this is unreasonable.

At the same time you mention that the reason Nordic people are not interested is because of the language barrier/coverage. That is an interesting premise, although I am not to confident in its validity as countless Swedes/Finns have said that they are not interested in the KHL a priori in favour of their regional/traditional hockey. In this case no matter what kind of product you have is irrelevant.

BTW I disagree with that personally and believe that soonish teams would be lucky to get spots in the KHL. After all there is not much faith in this European League thing. On a sidenote, I would be interested to see their coverage of the league compared to the KHL and the NHL.

@Jussi, Im not sure if you are plainly confused or if you are demonstrating a superb act of trolling.

Leagues are not conglomerates or holding companies that have ownership over the clubs. What are you even talking about? NJ losses are not seen on the NHL financial statements. Each club is an individual company that follows rules set in place by the league, to be part of that league. They are not bound financially. :help:
If a club is doing bad financially the League may choose to buy that club(in the interest of it's own image/interests/etc..). But other than that a league can be profitable even if the clubs are run by a sponsorship model. As in the case with the KHL.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Leagues are not conglomerates or holding companies that have ownership over the clubs. What are you even talking about? NJ losses are not seen on the NHL financial statements. Each club is an individual company that follows rules set in place by the league, to be part of that league. They are not bound financially. :help:
If a club is doing bad financially the League may choose to buy that club(in the interest of it's own image/interests/etc..). But other than that a league can be profitable even if the clubs are run by a sponsorship model. As in the case with the KHL.

If a sponsor covers the losses in then it isn't really profitable. The same way Helsinki Jokerit losses were reduced by taking money from Hartwall Areena profit, dragging those down in the minus as well.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
I have thought about writing a blog about KHL in English to fill the void, give people who don't speak Russian a bit bigger overview about things that happen in KHL. Instead of ''facts and numbers'' and ''Vityaz beat Yekaterinburg Motorist 1:0, goal scored by Tolstozhopov (23)" game synopses give people a flavour of KHL hockey- the ideologies of teams, what are the main rivalries, funny bits about coaches and pundits talking nonsense in interviews... Radulov's antics etc. Obviously a lot of this is available here, on hfboards and I don't have as much free time to do such a thing but it could be fun.

You really should, I've been trying to look for something like this. Osadchenko does small amount on his youtube show, but it would be better to get one or two sentences daily than wait for a video every week (BTW they should at least do a monthly video in the summer, I don't know why they stopped).

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
you guys use Google Chrome, it can automatically translate the page to a language you want,

I do agree it's a terrible move by the KHL marketing not to offer services in other languages. KHL usually does a lot of website updates closer to the beginning of the season so this might change.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
you guys use Google Chrome, it can automatically translate the page to a language you want,

I do agree it's a terrible move by the KHL marketing not to offer services in other languages. KHL usually does a lot of website updates closer to the beginning of the season so this might change.

With often hilarious results (especially when translating into Finnish).

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

Chrome's translator gives hardly readable, absolutely horrible translation, that will only give you very rough sight about what they're probably writing about.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
You really should, I've been trying to look for something like this. Osadchenko does small amount on his youtube show, but it would be better to get one or two sentences daily than wait for a video every week (BTW they should at least do a monthly video in the summer, I don't know why they stopped).

as I know, they dont have a deal with KHL... negotiating. They had deal for last season only. Dont know if they sign new one.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
btw, had a small conversation with a guy working for fasthockey web-site, he says, they plan on getting into Europe and some day into KHL. If they ever do, there's your English commentary.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Also, I find it that too many people are overly critical( like Faterson) and forget the fact that even in its current state, KHL coverage is much better than NHL, and other top leagues. By far.

Are you kidding me? :D When was the last time you visited NHL.com? In 1995? KHL.ru, even in its Russian version (and I am fluent in Russian), is absolutely pitiful and embarrassingly minimalistic compared to NHL.com. Specific illustrations of KHL.ru pseudo-coverage failures were mentioned earlier in this thread. I love those 3-line "game summaries", saying who scored a goal in which minute, and that's it. :D LOL, if you can post absurd statements like the above, saying "black is white", no wonder the rest of what you're saying is just as removed from reality.

metmag

Mar 4, 2013
Are you kidding me? :D When was the last time you visited NHL.com? In 1995? KHL.ru, even in its Russian version (and I am fluent in Russian), is absolutely pitiful and embarrassingly minimalistic compared to NHL.com. Specific illustrations of KHL.ru pseudo-coverage failures were mentioned earlier in this thread. I love those 3-line "game summaries", saying who scored a goal in which minute, and that's it. :D LOL, if you can post absurd statements like the above, saying "black is white", no wonder the rest of what you're saying is just as removed from reality.

Sorry that was a typo. I meant to say NLA instead of NHL so as to show that although KHL's coverage is clearly inferior to NHL, it is still much better than other top leagues.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
metmag wrote "top leagues" I just wanted to post this if anybody missed it. yi consider SML as 4th top league of Europe, after KHL, NLA, SHL

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty
I like how you called it eastern, since that's the exact attitude the majority of the clubs in the Eastern Conference employ. And it's pretty damn frustrating to see that there are fans who get defensive over it.

The discussion was about KHL development not the relationships between some eastern clubs and their fans

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
The discussion was about KHL development not the relationships between some eastern clubs and their fans

It's still rather relevant to the topic. The fans of those clubs are also the KHL audience supposedly interested in quality of the product that the league puts out.

metmag

Mar 4, 2013
How much research have you done on SM-Liiga?

:laugh:

http://www.sm-liiga.fi/ajankohtaista/in-english.html

The most recent thing SM-Liiga has published in English is 3 years ago! Other than that all they have is week summaries that is a text of scores(excluding goalscorers) and half a paragraph for like 10 games :(

Maybe I'm missing something? There isnt even a link to english from the SM-Liiga main page :help:

as a foreigner, I would say KHL is much easier to follow in English than other top leagues as I mentioned before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad