New KHL Webcast Subscriptions

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
look, how does KHL wants to grow in popularity in the West if we think about expansion? If nobody here ever hears sth about the league, can't watch games or understand any coverage. You can't tell me that this is perfect. Slavic guys like you have no problem to understand Russian but what about Scandinavians, Germans, Swiss ppl etc?
MOD

I'd rather watch Swedish or Dutch language streams than Russian, because I understand Swedish fairly well and Dutch uses similar words to English. The U-18 WJC only had Russian language streams available [mod]... hockey is a sport that absolutely must have either English or Finnish language commentary for me to watch it. I do think it's hard to find good quality English language commentators from Europe though. I've heard some IIHF ones and they were... :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
I've heard some IIHF ones and they were... :facepalm:

You mean the guys from the IIHF WC 2 min highlight videos? Well, they sounded like they arrived in the States just that day after living all their life in some hidden Mongolian village...

KHL had a nice project with Steve "Dangle" Glynn and Andrey Osadchenko last season during the lockout. I liked it a lot. It's so much nicer if you can understand the broadcasts.

During certain playoff games even laola1.tv had English commentary.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
i just purchased the CSKa package, my card got declined at first, suspecting a fraudulent activity from the khl payment system, lol, had to call in and unblock it, so be aware. it's a visa American credit card. something in their system is not clicking, even though they claim to be visa/master card approved.

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty
Yeah but you don't need 5 years to create a much better website and video streams in English. I can understand the fact that the broadcasting (and HD) of games from all arenas could be difficult to do in 5 years (as, well Russia is Russia and there are a lot of conflicting interests even if clubs participate in KHL and have agreed that the games should be televised), but what's holding back actual number of games to be seen TO BE STATED and a good product in English to be created? Probably the mindset that ''nobody will watch in English anyway, as nobody cares about KHL outside Russia and Slovaks and Czechs and younger generation Latvians do not matter in big picture'' but if it's so then the league doesn't believe in itself and that's sad.

I believe it's a big problem in post-Soviet countries- we don't want to improve anything because we think what's the use of it? Nobody will be thankful anyway, so why bother... So this mindset is seen everywhere. Even now in Riga when they're building new houses and stuff there are people saying ''who will live there, the population is declining, people go abroad to other EU countries to work'', but is this an excuse for not doing anything? Furthermore, the real estate guys don't speand your money, so if they're building there's a demand- of not from you then perhaps from Russian millionaires in Jūrmala or foreigners.... Just like in this case, if you're Russian or understand Russian 100% (like me) it doesn't mean that all people understand and have time to learn Russian. English is the world language, if you think that it's the evil capitalist American language so we won't have it then it's your problem... and ultimately the league's problem, as it will never be truly international in this fashion.

Seems like you didn't read my post carefully

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
i just purchased the CSKa package, my card got declined at first, suspecting a fraudulent activity from the khl payment system, lol, had to call in and unblock it, so be aware. it's a visa American credit card. something in their system is not clicking, even though they claim to be visa/master card approved.

You live in the States right? Will the season pass work in countries outside of KHL member countries and will game that are shown in German-Austrian laola1.tv be blacked out?

Is it possible two purchase all matches of 2 different teams (2 different packages off course) or can I only purchase one package? I mean if I purchased the season package for Lev Prague and SKA St. Petersburg this would still be only half the price for all games and I rather watch these two teams as I am most interested in them.

Maybe I should test it on gameday one with a 24 hours pass. But CSKA mentioned problems with visa cards?

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
You live in the States right? Will the season pass work in countries outside of KHL member countries and will game that are shown in German-Austrian laola1.tv be blacked out?

Is it possible two purchase all matches of 2 different teams (2 different packages off course) or can I only purchase one package? I mean if I purchased the season package for Lev Prague and SKA St. Petersburg this would still be only half the price for all games and I rather watch these two teams as I am most interested in them.

Maybe I should test it on gameday one with a 24 hours pass. But CSKA mentioned problems with visa cards?

the problem with cards is that they claim they are authorised with visa and master card, but they are not, as they come up as fraud immediately. after I had confirmed the transaction with the card and paid again, it worked out. As far as the games being blocked, I don't know, we'll see, I am ok risking 30 bucks:laugh:

I am sure there's no problem purchasing as many team's packages as you wish.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
the problem with cards is that they claim they are authorised with visa and master card, but they are not, as they come up as fraud immediately. after I had confirmed the transaction with the card and paid again, it worked out. As far as the games being blocked, I don't know, we'll see, I am ok risking 30 bucks:laugh:

I am sure there's no problem purchasing as many team's packages as you wish.

I am pretty sure more than 2 packages would be stupid discount wise because then you also could take the full season package. :handclap:

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
these web-casts, they are without the commentators right? or some have it?

I don't know but I also wouldn't mind just hearing the fans and the players. When they had laola1.tv coverage you only heared the English commentary and barely the fans. Killed the whole atmosphere.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
these web-casts, they are without the commentators right? or some have it?

You will get the regular KHL TV feed, with announcers, studio etc if there are any, but without commercials. As for quality (click HD) - example.

Mind you the quality will differ a lot, depending on the broadcaster, tv crew experience, arena, lighting, camera models and other things. But about 80% of the teams should have an HD.

Last edited:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
You will get the regular KHL TV feed, with announcers, studio etc if there are any, but without commercials. As for quality (click HD) - example.

Mind you the quality will differ a lot, depending on the broadcaster, tv crew experience, arena, lighting, camera models and other things. But about 80% of the teams should have an HD.

i had seen some of them streamed and they had no commentary, which means if the game is not televised there won't be a commentator, just a live feed? It's bad for me, as the games are during work hours and usually listening to the streams and peak when there's something going on. Also will they repeat the dangerous highlights right after, like a regular feed?

metmag

Mar 4, 2013
@vorky NHL even has broadcasts in Punjabi. ;)

NHL doesn't broadcast in Punjabi. The CBC broadcasts the NHL in Punjabi.

The German national broadcaster could purchase KHL broadcasting rights and do it in whatever language they want, including Punjabi.

The NHL doesn't even broadcast in French even though they have an original 6 team located in the native French speaking population province of Quebec. Again, RDS, not the NHL broadcasts it in French.

The few languages that the NHL website is translated to is a really shallow section that only covers the few players from that country. It is by no means a 'Swedish'(or whatever other language) version of NHL.com.

The NHL does nothing (or maybe the bare minimum at most), to cater NHL Game Center to the European audience. It so happens that many of you speak English and are willing to pay for a product designed for USA/Canada. Literally all the NHL has to do is implement payment methods for Europe. Nothing is done to the product. Of-course for PR they might have you believe differently.

KHL on the other hand would have to hire massive amounts of translators, consultants, sports experts(announcers, etc), and programmers to implement that for your convenience.
On top of that, it has to give it to you at a reasonable price :amazed: AND compete against NHL Game Center in a region like Sweden. All of this after just one year of two non ex USSR teams, and one more team that has not yet played a regular season game? Are you kidding me? :amazed:

Wait, I thought Nordic countries and other Europeans didnt give a sht about the KHL and would rather watch their local rivalries. Why does it even matter then?

Vorky has a point in that there has to be a cost-benefit analysis made before implementing large systems that incur a high cost.

Last edited:

ult

Sep 21, 2009
i had seen some of them streamed and they had no commentary, which means if the game is not televised there won't be a commentator, just a live feed? It's bad for me, as the games are during work hours and usually listening to the streams and peak when there's something going on. Also will they repeat the dangerous highlights right after, like a regular feed?

When there are a couple of games going on at the same time, usually KHL TV broadcasts them one after another. But it doesn't mean that the commentary isn't done live. So even if the game isn't on tv at the moment, it could still have commentators. Sometimes the local ones. It's a different story if KHL TV has no plans to show it at all though. Just because there are so many games and so little time to catch up.

This year there are gonna be two KHL TV channels with the different programming. And they're running another competition for the commentators. So this should improve as well.

As for the highlights, they're done by the tv crews on spot. So it is actually an additional work to remove them. If they didn't show them, it means they didn't show them for anyone. Which should never happen on paper, but who knows, we have Astana.

metmag

Mar 4, 2013
Oh so NOW KHL cares about costs...

Cost and complexity as well.

The khl has been profitable as a league for a while. Obviously not the hockey clubs themselves but the aformentioned things would definitely be a factor in the decisions made for the league.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
metmag
Thx for support, I would not write it better.

Jussi
KHL has always cared about costs, you dont (want to) see it. You see only negative sides of KHL, even if there is none.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
metmag, you write a lot of bull. No one is requesting any advanced/translated services from the KHL at this point. All we want is to watch the damn hockey game, in any way at all, that's all. If they have Martians or Zulu Africans commenting the hockey game, or NO ONE commenting at all, with a single camera from the red line, that's fine and we don't give a damn. Us fans just want to see the HOCKEY GAME, get it?!

It's disgraceful for the KHL to fail to webcast some of the games if they're selling "All Games by 1 team" webcast subscriptions. Especially disgraceful and inexcusable when they are the decisive games in the final stretch of the regular season, deciding about making the play-offs or not.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
metmag, you write a lot of bull. No one is requesting any advanced/translated services from the KHL at this point. All we want is to watch the damn hockey game, in any way at all, that's all. If they have Martians or Zulu Africans commenting the hockey game, or NO ONE commenting at all, with a single camera from the red line, we don't give a damn. Us fans just want to see the HOCKEY GAME, get it?!

It's disgraceful for the KHL to fail to webcast some of the games if they're selling "All Games by 1 team" webcast subscriptions. Especially disgraceful and inexcusable when they are the decisive games in the final stretch of the regular season, deciding about making the play-offs or not.

Have you tried writing a complaint to the KHL press service?
[email protected]

metmag

Mar 4, 2013
Faterson, to the contrary I think you are writing some bull. I feel like watching front row metallurg vs salavat for 1000rubles is pretty damn good for customer service. Further you make it seem in your first paragraph and before like you are some sort of minimalist fan that just wants to watch the games and is being deprived. No, you're a stuck up consumer that is upset that the khl doesn't offer the payment method of your choice. Do you realize how many times and in how many different ways you have repeated that the khl doesn't offer paypal? Get over it. They don't have the full equipment and expertise yet to offer you a complete archive of every game for every team in the season. They are getting better and they are pretty damn close already. They're working on it; get over it.

Also if you feel so strongly about missing a few games from the package maybe you should look into suing the KHL for false advertisement. That may be a more interesting way to vent your frustrations.

Oh and don't forget to mention in your emails for the KHL to buy cheap stationary camcorders for some missing game broadcasts... Genius idea :help:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I'll be hearing when they get the quality right. I expect KHL as big league to offer all games in HD, lots of angles and if not possible to have games on Finnish, English commentary will be just fine. So probably not this season when I'll start following it. Hope they get there!

Salavat Yulaev

Jul 20, 2013
Almaty
I'll be hearing when they get the quality right. I expect KHL as big league to offer all games in HD, lots of angles and if not possible to have games on Finnish, English commentary will be just fine. So probably not this season when I'll start following it. Hope they get there!

KHL games in English is a mater of time.

crik

Jul 29, 2013
Riga
I watched all games of Riga in latvian language, because TV6 have rights on KHL broadcast.
If you want broadcasts in german, the german channels should buy the KHL rights, that's all.

To KHL haters:
There is an eastern proverb "Dogs are barking but the caravan keeps going".
:yo:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

matter of time. :yo:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Cost and complexity as well.

The khl has been profitable as a league for a while. Obviously not the hockey clubs themselves but the aformentioned things would definitely be a factor in the decisions made for the league.

I'm sorry but you can't separate the clubs from the league. NHL doesn't do it either. If the clubs aren't making enough profit, then the league isn't either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->