New KHL Webcast Subscriptions

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Geo blocking the highlights from KHL.ru is terrible, no words. NHL even provides free highlights on their page.

BTW I signed up and quickly requested refund of my DAZN account. $20/month for 2 games a week lol. So there is a full roster of games on today and the next livestream is 2 days from now.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Same thing with that silly and obscure Czech/Hungarian cable TV channel, Sport 1 & 2, I assure you. (Of course I'm not subscribed to them.)

And for such teensy-weensy broadcasters, the KHL launches full-force geoblocking of the entire league, including YouTube highlights, in all these countries with hundreds of millions of potential hockey fans in them? :amazed:

The sheer stupidity of this beggars belief.

habsturies

May 27, 2012
Baja California Sur
official web site highlights could be a great idea...if...it will works propertly.

They have a bunch of spoilers everywere.

Another problem is the pause.
You push the pause,and start again from the begining.Jesus !

The connection from Russia to Nortamerica is horrible,and is buffering all the time.

And at last it is imposible (well for me) to download the highlights .

A complete nighmare,:(

geri

Jan 21, 2015
Vienna&DelrayBeachFL
Same thing with that silly and obscure Czech/Hungarian cable TV channel, Sport 1 & 2, I assure you. (Of course I'm not subscribed to them.)
why is SPORT1, SPORT2 silly??? :shakehead
i am very happy that they still broadcast all slovan games and some others- like they did the last years..
years ago we subscribed a skylink package to be able to watch SK/CZ TV abroad here in austria (15€ monthly with like 100 channels ) and sport1/2 is part of it..
till 16/17 laola1 was sending lots of daily KHLgames for free here in austria and other countries, but also in SK it was also geoblocked ..
i really dont believe sport1/2 is the reason for KHL geoblocking its own internetwebcast..there must be other reasons which we dont know..
anyway it is stupid they even dont let the goals or highlights watch everwhere (here in austria i can) ...hopefully they think about it and change

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
They're amateurish channels last time I checked (not even a reasonable homepage, like I mentioned). Also, showing just 2 or 3 KHL games per week is laughable. In any case, they're a ***damn TV station, and I'm not interested in any TV stations whatsoever. I bought a webcast subscription and I want to enjoy it without VPN hassles.

Anyway, they're obscure, optional cable TV channels, apparently owned by Hungarians and Czechs (!), whereas I'm in Slovakia, and for the KHL to geoblock the entire league in Slovakia based on some obscure foreign-owned ***damn cable TV channel, is unimitaged and inexcusable outrage. :rant: :rant: :rant:

The NHL used to make this same mistake: based on a very similar silly, obscure, optional cable Czech TV channel, Nova Sport, they used to block many NHL webcasts. (Never the entire league, though, never highlights on their webpage, never YouTube.)

Then, 2 or 3 years ago, the NHL changed their mind, and for the last few seasons, there has been no geoblocking of NHL.tv in Slovakia and Czech Republic.

Hopefully, the KHL can likewise come to their senses and recover from this stupidity as soon as possible.

And of course Sport 1,2 are to blame for this geoblocking! :rant: :rant: :rant: The week before last, when I shelled out €63 for my "all games, all season" subscription, everything was still fine. Then (it was even joyfully reported here on HFBoards!), on the final day or so before the KHL season started, Sport 1,2 closed a deal with the KHL... and BOOM! The entire KHL is now geoblocked! :rant: :rant: :rant: That is NOT a coincidence.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Fatterson I understand your pain. KHL does not have a massive foreign following but they have really gone out of their way to screw over and p*** those loyal fans.

I subscribe to most of the teams youtube channels, most of them are not good but I made one solid discovery. Severstal uploads highlights for each game, seems to be from the club's internal cameras and not the official broadcast.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ever the apologist. :D Reminds me of how in Stalin's era, Communists were blaming Americans for importing potato beetles to Czechoslovakia to spoil the harvest and starve the population.

No, I won't. I did several times last season, and all I got back was boilerplate excuses. You seem to revel in those, so go ahead and "feel free" to contact the KHL. :p:

Reaching out to North American fans is a waste of time, and no doubt money, at this stage of KHL development. The NHL media, which predominates among hockey fans in North America, portrays the KHL as a second-rate league where, as soon as a player starts showing evidence of being talented and promising, he immediately packs his bags and heads for the NHL. As soon as the KHL can start keeping players like Artemi Panarin, instead of waving goodbye to him as he leaves for the "big league," there is absolutely nothing to lure North American fans to get interested in KHL rivalries. Instead, use the time and money to create a better form of entertainment for home-grown KHL fans!

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
I disagree in the sense that exposing Western fans to Russian sports is a good way of helping to reduce anti Russian propaganda and dispel misconceptions. From a monetary point of view that objective really brings no money to the KHL though I suppose. This is the type of big picture proactive strategies that I think Russia could be doing so much more.

They should if nothing else just put all the games for free on Youtube for free and geotarget them just for US, Canada, UK etc.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Not sure why you quoted me there from back in 2013, Yakushev72.

I'm not North American. I live within walking distance of Slovan's stadium, and Slovan plays in the KHL. To completely geoblock the entire league from streaming in this country (including the KHL homepage and YouTube highlights!), based on some foreign-owned obscure cable TV channel showing a couple of KHL games per week, is an outrage, and it's inexcusable, no matter how you spin it. The KHL can't get more amateurish and self-destructive than this. :rant:

Regarding America, it's just like RossiyaSport said: a few seasons ago, NHL.tv stopped geoblocking countries such as mine, no doubt to promote the league on this continent. It would be smart for the KHL to employ the same strategy for North America. Certainly in terms of official streaming services that the occasional KHL fans in NA are willing to pay for! TV deals are a different matter.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Not sure why you quoted me there from back in 2013, Yakushev72.

I'm not North American. I live within walking distance of Slovan's stadium, and Slovan plays in the KHL. To completely geoblock the entire league from streaming in this country (including the KHL homepage and YouTube highlights!), based on some foreign-owned obscure cable TV channel showing a couple of KHL games per week, is an outrage, and it's inexcusable, no matter how you spin it. The KHL can't get more amateurish and self-destructive than this. :rant:

Regarding America, it's just like RossiyaSport said: a few seasons ago, NHL.tv stopped geoblocking countries such as mine, no doubt to promote the league on this continent. It would be smart for the KHL to employ the same strategy for North America. Certainly in terms of official streaming services that the occasional KHL fans in NA are willing to pay for! TV deals are a different matter.

Sorry about the date. I didn't notice.

I was really talking more about trying to develop audiences in the United States and Canada than in Slovakia and other European countries. I don't know enough about it to comment on why they are blocking other Europeans from seeing the product, but I'll admit that it doesn't seem to make sense.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Hi all,

Webcast subscriptions for the new 2018/19 season are on sale now from Континентальная Хоккейная Лига (КХЛ), or more specifically from your own profile page at Континентальная Хоккейная Лига (КХЛ).

The prices are unchanged from last season: 4000 roubles to watch all games by all teams, and 2000 roubles to watch only the games of your favorite team.

Given the prices, I don't think buying just one team's games makes much (financial) sense, so just like in seasons before, I went ahead and bought the "all games, all teams" subscription, which for me equaled €58.33 this time around (around €2.60 of that are PayPal fees).

That's the lowest price (after the conversion to euros) for the 5 years I've been buying this particular subscription, but only a few cents lower than 2 years ago. Last year, it was about 5 € more expensive, but that doesn't really matter much, in this price range. (The NHL GameCenter annual subscription is a lot heftier – cost me €126.29 a year ago, with the price steadily rising every season.)

Something (potentially) far worse than a price hike happened last year: a couple of weeks after I'd bought the subscription, KHL.ru simply went ahead and geoblocked the entire country of Slovakia from watching any of KHL.ru – not even highlights! :ha:

Luckily, I also have a VPN subscription that I use for lots and lots of other things besides hockey (such as watching Wimbledon coverage via the BBC), so I wasn't really affected by the geoblocking, but it goes to show how little thought KHL.ru is giving to their paying customers. So, in case you don't live in an outright non-hockey country, it's likely you will also need a separate VPN subscription in addition to the KHL.ru subscription. In case you'd welcome a VPN recommendation, I have a NordVPN subscription that cost me €66 for 2 years, which is excellent value, I think, and I've been very satisfied with the service.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Curious to see if this works in the the US. Highlights were geo blocked last year but it seems their YouTube page is allowing people to view their videos currently.

Fan4ever

Sep 1, 2008
Definitely works via VPN. (No way it can't.)
I'll be using a VPN to watch from North America. From what I can find, it looks like I'll have to take a subscription with someone who streams khl games. There's ETVnet, Matchtv and Laola1.tv advertising that they stream khl games. Are these reputable or does anyone have any other suggestions or tips for me. I've got a son playing in the league this year, so I should be able to get him to get a subscription with who-ever I chose. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I hate missing his games.
Thank-you

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Not sure Laola1.tv will stream the KHL. They had KHL a few yrs ago, and KHL pre-season this summer.

DAZN owns streaming rights for Austria, Germany and Canada. There should be only a limited number of games, only top matches.

MatchTV is great choice of course, plus KHL TV which is operated by Match TV too. Plus KHL Webcast as disucssed here.

As said, all is blocked in particular countries.

Reactions: Fan4ever

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I'll be using a VPN to watch from North America. From what I can find, it looks like I'll have to take a subscription with someone who streams khl games.

As mentioned, you can purchase the regular KHL.ru subscription for about $65 – that's all games by all teams, all season long. If you don't mind the original Russian commentary in the broadcasts.

Also, there's a KHL app for mobile devices, which also shows the live streams after you buy a subscription, and the app has an English interface, too, so you don't really need to struggle with the Russian interface after you buy a subscription.

Your son is playing in the KHL? :thumbu: Let us know who he is, so we can cheer him on. :) Except when he plays against Slovan – unless he plays for Slovan, of course. You ain't Mr. Gélinas Sr., right? ;)

Reactions: Rigafan

Fan4ever

Sep 1, 2008
Your son is playing in the KHL? :thumbu: Let us know who he is, so we can cheer him on. :) Except when he plays against Slovan – unless he plays for Slovan, of course. You ain't Mr. Gélinas Sr., right? ;)[/QUOTE]

lol... no for Mr. Gelinas....
I'll be cheering, "Go Kunlon"....

Most importantly, thanks to you and "Vorky" for the information....

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
There are bunches of idiots all around the world, which is why a VPN subscription makes sense because it can be utilized for content from all round the world, not just the KHL.

Reactions: Exarz

remben

Jan 4, 2015
Bremen, Germany
As I am living in Germany and I have DAZN, I will provide some information. First if you are not living in a country where DAZN operates and have KHL rights you will not be able to watch it even with a Vpn (I tried to watch the bundesliga using a vpn as japan as the right, I was not successful). If you have a credit card from the country then you can watch it even when travelling abroad, or if you share an account with someone who have DAZN. Price is 9.99€/month, first month for free.

Here is what must be shown in Germany: 2 games/week during regular season, 4 games/week during the playoff, all games of the final series, all-star game.

Schedule until 27.09:
- 1.09: Ak bars Kazan vs SKA St petersburg
- 6.09 Magnitogorsk vs CSKA Moscow
- 10.09 Dinamo Minsk vs Jokerit
- 13.09 Omsk vs Magnitogorsk
- 17.09 Jokerit vs Chelyabinsk
- 20.09 Dynamo Moscow vs SKA St Petersburg.
- 24.09 Kazan vs Novossibirsk
- 27.09 Slovan Bratislava vs Jokerit

I have watched the game today, HD quality, english commentators.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
look, how does KHL wants to grow in popularity in the West if we think about expansion? If nobody here ever hears sth about the league, can't watch games or understand any coverage. You can't tell me that this is perfect. Slavic guys like you have no problem to understand Russian but what about Scandinavians, Germans, Swiss ppl etc?

I can certainly see why the KHL wouldn't want to waste money trying to market their product in Canada and the USA. Especially the USA, where even NHL hockey isn't all that popular in the first place. But I can't understand why they wouldn't make English language broadcasts as a part of the service, since English is the single language that is spoken with greatest frequency in the World.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I can certainly see why the KHL wouldn't want to waste money trying to market their product in Canada and the USA. Especially the USA, where even NHL hockey isn't all that popular in the first place. But I can't understand why they wouldn't make English language broadcasts as a part of the service, since English is the single language that is spoken with greatest frequency in the World.
I get the point & agree.

The KHL using a feed of KHL TV (Russian) for highlights. KHL TV broadcast almost all matches.

Yes, the KHL could make ENG commentary as well. But, who would watch it? Especially if the KHL game center is geo-blocked in many hockey countries? Yes, it is a question if it is a good policy. The KHL had ENG highlights in youtube. Do they still have it?

The KHL would have to agree with some other broadcaster to make ENG commentary service. The KHL can not hire ENG speaking announcers and do the job (for every game), too expensive & no bussiness effect.

DAZN could be a good choice for ENG commentary service, but they broadcast only game or two per week. And yes, they broadcast in ENG even if their fans live in German speaking countries. They do not make GER commentary for them. The same as with the KHL, no bussinees effect to make GER commentary.

I support an idea of ENG commentary and website in languagues of all participated nations. On the other hand, I know why the league does not do it right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->