New KHL Webcast Subscriptions

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Purchased. Cost me €63.39 this season, which includes a PayPal fee of slightly below €3. One-team subscription would have cost me half of that.

That's slightly more than last year (€58.37) but still less than two years ago (€65.92).

We should mention that the prices discussed here are for existing subscribers. For new subscribers, it's going to be around €80 for all games, around €40 for 1 team.

Overall, a good deal. (To compare, NHL.tv cost me €122.61 last season, but that's OK, too, because the NHL is clearly the superior league and also offers a lot more games, around 20 more per team, from October through June, as opposed to the KHL's late-August through only April, with many extended breaks included.)

To get the "existing subscribers" discount, I believe you must purchase your package prior to Monday, so that's only 4 days left including today! :amazed:

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
This is such a pain in the ass on Chrome for IPad.

I managed to register an account somehow, but could someone please provide direct links to the login screen and subscription via PayPal?

Thanks.

EDIT - ok I can login to my page, but don't know how to buy the season pass via PayPal. Help please.

Last edited:

kometa

@pucksport
Oct 6, 2011
Markranstaedt, Saxony
Ok. When you are logged in, go to your profile (Личный кабинет) https://video.khl.ru/profile on the left side. You will come to the subscription section (Абонементы) in the middle. There are the options "1 team" (1 команда) with the pull down option to choose one team at left or the whole-in-one package "all matches" (все матчи) at the right. Pick the "buy" button (купить) under your prefered pass and they will show you the options to pay including PayPal. From there you will get the the PayPal website to do the rest.

Last edited:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I think the link to buy a subscription hasn't changed from the opening post of this thread made 4 years ago:

http://video.khl.ru/page/subscription_page

Just open this link and you should see 2 blue "Buy" buttons. Press the one you prefer. That's about it. (Yes, that page is extremely difficult to find by navigating the website, but if you go directly to that link, that's really all you need.)

Milos Krasic

Jul 1, 2008
Thanks guys.

Yes, I got to that page, but when I click "Buy", nothing happens. I think I found a workaround though.

Milos Krasic

Jul 1, 2008
On the "Dashboard" you have to transfer the amount of rubles to your account before it will let you proceed with "Buy".

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Too bad, that should not have been necessary. Every year in the summer, I simply push the blue "Buy" button, then select "PayPal" as the payment option, then pay directly on PayPal's webpage. Good for you if you found a workaround, though.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
They also replied to my email a few seasons ago that they are translating the video page to english!

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
From another thread:

Hahahahahaha! They blacked us out! All of us! All the games! Including for me, who has just bought the "all-season" webcasts subscription! :D :D :D

This is RUSSIA, folks. The Russian way of doing business.

Fortunately, I have a VPN subscription elsewhere, so I can get around the geoblocking, but... incredible!!!

I did hear that, at the last minute, they were able to close a broadcasting deal with a crappy Czech TV station that shows a few games a week... and in response to that, the KHL BLOCKS ABSOLUTULY ALL GAMES !!!! (Perhaps they also closed a deal with a US broadcaster.)

I mean, not even the NHL at the height of their blackouts stupidity were ever able to do anything like that.

The KHL has just sunk to a new low. :help: :help: :help:

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
This is unbelievable - no highlights on youtube, no highlights on KHL site, no more Laola. How the the hell am I going to follow. Last year I paid for some of their streams but the quality just wasnt there. This year sucks so bad
This belongs here too.

I swear, all this makes me think that Chernyshenko is damaging the KHL purposefully. In their stupid quest of selling something they have forgot that you also need someone to buy that something. They spat in the faces of regional hockey fans with that stupid contraction program, now they decided to kill the intertaional following. Oh, and let's not forget that we can name the top 2 teams in August. I understand that the idea is that you need to pay to follow the league (that's why there's no highlights in the youtube channel anymore), but who's going to bother when it's so inconvenient? Bad news: the KHL isn't so wonderful that you'll go through blood and ashes to watch it. Isn't Chernyshenko a marketologist? He's killing the KHL market.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
There were complains from Sweden etc last year that NHL geo-blocked them. So a common practice in the bussiness, even if fans do not agree.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
In Finland you havent been able to watch KHL highlights from their YouTube channel so basically I don't watch any league highlights. If I want to see some, I should look out for Viasat videos but I don't even know where to look from...they have like tons of different websites...it should be easy and fast and when it isn't, it's a nogo. Basically Twitter is the only option :help:

I have VPN but im too lazy to change region to just watch some highlights.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
It's not "common practice" by any stretch of imagination. It's an unmitigated outrage. (What is common practice is for Vorky to be an apologist for every stupid move the KHL has ever made... but we've grown used to that already.) :sarcasm:

Vorky, the only "common practice" (but even that one is outrageous) is to geo-block the webcast of your regional team if that particular game by that particular team is being shown on a stupid TV channel.

It's an unacceptable practice, anyway, precisely because "TV" and "Internet" are two different worlds. Yes, corporate dinosaurs are desperately trying to uphold the illusion as if they were a single entity, but that's not going to last long for them in the 21st century.

A few seasons ago, the NHL used to geo-block lots of NHL games in their webcasts based on that silly Czech Nova Sport TV channel showing a couple of NHL games per week. (For the last few seasons, though, NHL.tv hasn't geo-blocked any games for their European paying subscribers.)

The NHL has never geo-blocked the entire league, especially after you have already sold a customer (like myself) an annual "all games, all season" subscription for dozens of euros! Without any warning, they simply start geoblocking me, after taking away my money! If I didn't have that VPN subscription elsewhere, I might lodge a customer fraud complaint, right, Vorky? For heaven's sake, why should they geo-block me from a Vladivostok vs. Novokuznetsk game? :help: :shakehead :shakehead

The KHL really is a sorry, amateurish affair at this point. And Slovan is a sorry, amateurish team – a good fit for the league. :(

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I did not say I agree with it. That is first.

Second. I do not want to advocate the KHL, but they have this information on their website, customers should read it before ordering.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
That's exactly what I'm talking about. They only added that this week. It definitely wasn't there last week when I purchased my "all games, all season" subscription. I think only Scandinavian countries were on the list last week, just like in previous seasons. I read that webpage last week when I was purchasing my subscription.

So, the KHL was happy to grab my €63, and then they geoblocked me, without notifying me. I don't give a damn because I have that VPN, but it goes to show what an amateurish enterprise this is.

These other countries, including the US and Canada, must have been added to the geoblocking list at the last minute, just like the KHL closed a last-minute deal with that crappy Sport 1 and Sport 2 Czech/Hungarian TV channel.

But as you well know, Vorky, that crappy Czech/Hungarian TV channel only carries a couple of KHL games per week, and they also carried them in previous seasons, when there was no geoblocking of KHL webcasts whatsoever.

To switch to geoblocking the entire league now, instead of promoting the league, just because some crappy obscure Czech/Hungarian cable TV channel is broadcasting a couple of KHL games per week, is an OUTRAGE. There's no excusing it or explaining that away. :rant: :rant: :rant:

I guess now we know why they haven't bothered to translate that webcasts subscription webpage from Russian to English after all these years! I guess the subscriptions are only intended for Russian customers and the KHL isn't really interested in selling their product abroad. I mean, why grow the league's revenue, when it's a government-funded enterprise anyway, right? :shakehead

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
Another place to see highlights is https://rutube.ru/feeds/khl/ (Russian Youtube)

I watch all the games on less than legal feeds so I don't really care that much.

I do agree its a mistake not to make the product as available as possible. Showing Russian sports to a Western audience is a great tool for building the Russian brand and fighting anti Russian propaganda. I have long proposed they make an English version of Match TV called Match TV International or marketed under the RT Sports brand.

They could make a block of programming on there every day of whatever the most premium domestic matches are that day. From the RFPL, KHL, basketball leagues, MMA etc. Hire some additional English speakers to do commentary. Then just make it available for free online. It would be successful in my opinion. In part because their leagues are good and Conservative ppl here are increasingly being disenfranchised by NA sports leagues with the constant social political agendas pushed.

Last edited:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Speaking of YouTube, that's another outrage: they have now truly geoblocked absolutely all KHL YouTube clips from all of Slovakia and Czech Republic! :amazed: :amazed: :amazed:

Does that silly, obscure Czech/Hungarian Sport 1/2 cable TV channel provide anything even remotely resembling YouTube? Of course it doesn't. Last time I checked, their "latest news" on the homepage was from 3 years ago. I guess they're happy if they even have a homepage running; forget about video highlights of any sort.

Could the KHL have possibly made a stupider move to alienate people from all those countries from the league? No, they couldn't. So, if the KHL's intention was to make Slovak and Czech people feel even more antagonistic towards the KHL (it's had enough detractors in these countries even before the current geoblocking infamy, being decried as a "Putin propaganda shtick"), then congratulations! You've succeeded! The KHL will now have even more enemies among Slovaks and Czechs than previously. :facepalm:

You know, I'm now getting all these YouTube notifications from the KHL on all of my mobile devices, just like in previous seasons, but when I tap the notification, I'm greeted with: You can't watch this in your country! :help: So, yesterday there was a Slovan highlight promoted by the KHL in the YouTube app, but I couldn't watch it because, yep, I reside in Slovan's home country. (I did eventually watch the clip after activating my VPN switch, but who's gonna do that on an everyday basis?)

With this geoblocking insanity, the KHL has just provided an exemplary, encyclopedic illustration of the proverbial "shooting yourself in the foot". :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->