New KC Ballpark?

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Well, when the lease is over in 2031, I am sure David Glass will line up at the trough for public money.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Or build a new stadium in its place.
Stadiums are supposed to have structural lifespans that regardless of renovations cant be changed. Solider field was rebuilt but lambeau field and arrowhead I think have the original structure. Even in baseball Redsox owner John Henry at one point admitted Fenway will have to be replaced eventually.
Henry: Fenway Park won't be around forever

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Been to it in '13. It was out in the middle of nowhere. They should try to get it downtown for the sake of the people who can't afford/don't have the means to drive out to the suburbs every night.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Or build a new stadium in its place.

Arrowhead has that classic stadium feel tho, one of those ones you want to stay in as long as possible. Tho of course shiny new stadiums always sound & look nicer.

Maybe KC does what Seattle did and offers both teams a deal to build new stadiums.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Been to it in '13. It was out in the middle of nowhere. They should try to get it downtown for the sake of the people who can't afford/don't have the means to drive out to the suburbs every night.
I generally prefer downtown stadiums, but KC fans are primarily football fans, and they are obsessed with tailgating. It's the perfect spot for tailgating.

If you are someone who can't afford the drive, then you probably aren't going to many games. The cost of the drive with your car or uber is so minor compared to the actual cost of attending.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
By 2031 the renovations will be 25 years old so by that point I can see the need for another major renovation or a new ballpark.

I would have to think a conservative estimate for a 35 - 40,000 seat stadium will be at least $700 million easily. A new 70,000 seat stadium would probably start at $1.25 billion even without a roof by 2029ish. 2 billion for both and I guess the owners would at least look for a 50-50 split with the public.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
By 2031 the renovations will be 25 years old so by that point I can see the need for another major renovation or a new ballpark.

I would have to think a conservative estimate for a 35 - 40,000 seat stadium will be at least $700 million easily. A new 70,000 seat stadium would probably start at $1.25 billion even without a roof by 2029ish. 2 billion for both and I guess the owners would at least look for a 50-50 split with the public.
By then Chiefs will be looking for new stadium too. Whew boy. I am pretty sure the public will not have appetite to fund two stadiums.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
By then Chiefs will be looking for new stadium too. Whew boy. I am pretty sure the public will not have appetite to fund two stadiums.
MLB is not very consistent at the ballparks they deem need replacing they are ok with obstructed seats and polls at Fenway but Angel Stadium and Roger's center are considered outdated

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Pure fantasy at this point.

Kauffman is fine. It’s more than fine, it’s a great baseball stadium and we’ve been driving to the Truman’s Sports Complex for generations now so we don’t care about that. In a perfect world sure we’d plop it downtown and have the skyline behind the fountains and all take the streetcar to the game but there is zero appetite to help Mr. Walmart get a new baseball palace.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Pure fantasy at this point.

Kauffman is fine. It’s more than fine, it’s a great baseball stadium and we’ve been driving to the Truman’s Sports Complex for generations now so we don’t care about that. In a perfect world sure we’d plop it downtown and have the skyline behind the fountains and all take the streetcar to the game but there is zero appetite to help Mr. Walmart get a new baseball palace.
Owners don't want "fine". They want their new shiny stadiums to anchor an entire mixed-use development along with bars/restaurants, apartments, office space, and retail. And they want the city's residents to pay for it.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Owners don't want "fine". They want their new shiny stadiums to anchor an entire mixed-use development along with bars/restaurants, apartments, office space, and retail. And they want the city's residents to pay for it.

Fans don’t want cheap owners who have unlimited money and yet try to bully their way into making the residents of a community pay for a new Taj Mahal development complex all while they line their pockets with profits from a franchise they keep on a shoestring budget.

Glass hasn’t done this yet of course but if he comes crying poor claiming the Royals can’t compete because of their stadium, that’s going to go over like a lead balloon in this city.

And I said Kauffman is “more” than fine. It is. It’s certainly not in dire need of replacement and there is certainly no groundswell of support from tax paying members of this city to build a new one any time soon.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Fans don’t want cheap owners who have unlimited money and yet try to bully their way into making the residents of a community pay for a new Taj Mahal development complex all while they line their pockets with profits from a franchise they keep on a shoestring budget.

Glass hasn’t done this yet of course but if he comes crying poor claiming the Royals can’t compete because of their stadium, that’s going to go over like a lead balloon in this city.

And I said Kauffman is “more” than fine. It is. It’s certainly not in dire need of replacement and there is certainly no groundswell of support from tax paying members of this city to build a new one any time soon.

Yep. It'll be tough to get fan support for it, and while many would want a downtown stadium, a lot of people I know in KC, love the location of Kauffman.

Reactions: BKarchitect

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

I'm sure the stadium is great and of course fans don't want to shell out for the bill, but you'd be surprised how little control the fans/residents have in this. It's total BS, but in the end, it mostly comes down to discussions with politicians. It sucks.

Reactions: BKarchitect

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Most fans live in the burbs in just about every pro sport city. Unless you live in a place like Jacksonville or Calgary where it's literally all one city and no suburbs.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Kaufmann is great. Is it Target Field? of course not, but I love going there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad