New Junior B hockey team in Northeastern Ontario

Sidekick

Mar 20, 2013
Holy ***t, talk about travel. I think this team officially takes the cake as the most geographically out-of-place junior hockey team in Canada.

I see it's about a 6.5 hour drive to their closest game. So hotels every roadie, I'm sure that's cost affordable!

The NOJHL should really drop to Jr.B anyways. With its overexpansion, it's a local league now. And I'm not saying that is a bad thing - I think it's great - it gives these towns a social outlet. But if the NOJHL was created/promoted at/to the 'A' level to keep 'A' players within the region, then while that's an admirable goal, 12 teams is not possible.

Drop to Junior B, expand to Hearst, Wawa, Sturgeon Falls, Temiskaming Shores, Temiscaming, Ville Marie, St.Ignace...and have a 20-team northeastern Ontario junior B league, and allow any 'A' talent to filter out to the other Jr.A leagues, just like any major junior talent already does....It won't be the best calibre of hockey, but the costs would be lower, and the fans would be more engaged due to the town rivalries.

Sidekick

Mar 20, 2013
Drop to Junior B, expand to Hearst, Wawa, Sturgeon Falls, Temiskaming Shores, Temiscaming, Ville Marie, St.Ignace....

Not New Liskeard; I forgot about the major midget team there. Any Jr.B team would kill it. So how about Little Current instead. Better symmetry anyways.

West: St.Ignace, Soo MI, Soo ON, Wawa, Blind River
Central: Elliot Lake, Espanola, Rayside, Manitoulin, French River

South: Temiscaming, Powassan, Sturgeon Falls, Ville Marie, Kirkland Lake
North: IFalls, Timmins, SRFalls, Hearst, Cochrane

Major Midget stays in the four biggest centres (Sudbury, Soo, NB, Timmins, plus the two more regional teams in Kap and New Liskeard.)

....geez, I'm bored in the off-season

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Holy ***t, talk about travel. I think this team officially takes the cake as the most geographically out-of-place junior hockey team in Canada.

I see it's about a 6.5 hour drive to their closest game. So hotels every roadie, I'm sure that's cost affordable!

The NOJHL should really drop to Jr.B anyways. With its overexpansion, it's a local league now. And I'm not saying that is a bad thing - I think it's great - it gives these towns a social outlet. But if the NOJHL was created/promoted at/to the 'A' level to keep 'A' players within the region, then while that's an admirable goal, 12 teams is not possible.

To be fair, promoting/ classifying at the A level was ambitious to begin with. Not a slight, just based on the drawing geography/ demographics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad