GDT: New Jersey Hospital Patients vs. Washington Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashline

What smells like, brother?
Feb 10, 2018
It's a bit unfair to single anyone out at this stage but nobody irks me more than Palmieri when the team defaults to lazy, disinterested hockey.

He's the posterboy passenger who jaws too much and if you're lucky might throw a rare check out of pure frustration.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
The NJD need to end the Quenneville era after this campaign. He’s not even as good as Jiri Bicek. Hombre is jealous of Pierre Dagenais. If he makes it through the waivers then just don’t call him up next time. Need some new meat. They’re forcing this pimple with all the recalls and they just can’t pop it.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Kid needs another year in the AHL to develop. Limited 4th line minutes at this point isn’t going to help him.
McLeod strikes me as a person that needs 2-3 seasons to learn the pace of the game.

I dont mind if he goes back to AHL but when he is then promoted, he is going to need another 2 seasons of 'NHL seasoning'. You can definitely see improvement in his game with every game he plays, which all you can ask for in a young player.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
The NJD need to end the Quenneville era after this campaign. He’s not even as good as Jiri Bicek. Hombre is jealous of Pierre Dagenais. If he makes it through the waivers then just don’t call him up next time. Need some new meat. They’re forcing this pimple with all the recalls and they just can’t pop it.

Gotta think he's gone after this year. He's had time to show something and he's literally done nothing with however many chances he's had. Granted he played with shit line mates today but still, he's a non factor.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Can't you stop with the wisecracks and be serious for a minute? :huh:

So both goals were of the NO CHANCE variety.

Correct? Correct.

I wasn't looking for comedy. o_O
I would agree both were no chance goals.

He was actually incredibly close to getting over on the first goal and making the save, due to how fast he is getting across the crease. Keith is probably on his belly on that one before he can even get close to it. Don't even wanna touch what Cory would do on that.

He had no chance on goal 2 either. As far as paper and eye test goes, neither of the other two goalies are even in the same league as him on this team this year. I already have Cory down for 10 more stoppable goals on 29 more shots faced and Keith was leading the league in my stoppable goal count (in count, but not percentage) before he went the last two weeks without playing a game.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Try Andreas Salomonsson territory.
Might as well send Q down an bring up Studenic for a cup of coffee. His speed could help right now at least.
It's become insanity at this point. We're close to Tedenby territory with him (not nearly Josefson territory yet) where we keep giving him chances (all the call ups and recalls) and expecting a different result and nothing. You would think with all the power play time he got tonight, maybe he could do something? Nope.

I know he's only here because we stink, but we're getting close to having so much hope for this guy, you would think Shero and this regime either drafted him or traded up/down in that draft to pick him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Some reporter in the post game said to Blackwood ''The plan was to get you some starts in some tough buildings'' and she mentioned Montreal and I think Boston and the Washington building tonight.

I laughed at the tough building part.

Reactions: glenwo2

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think most rational ppl have been of the mindset that he isn't going to be the .925 goalie he was but he wasn't the .875 goalie he was either. I can see him being a .910-15 and that's fine enough for me.
I'm leaning more towards .905%-.910%, unless he's used as a backup or has one more good season in him before reverting back to his averages over the last 3 years. I don't think he's getting bought out after this year, like I originally thought (I wouldn't be shocked if he was though, while I think most would be), but I still don't think he's making it to the end of that contract. One more bad year, I think there's a 90% chance next year will be his last here. And I absolutely don't think he has the inside track for the starting position here next year either. A buyout on 2 more years wouldn't hurt at all and maybe there's even an amnesty buyout in there where it's ''Free'' as far as the cap goes. And he'll be 34 at the end of next season. Shero hasn't been shy about buying out and getting rid of older players here like Zubrus and Cammalleri. And even buying out a fairly expensive contract for Cammalleri.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Quenneville is the Mueller of forwards, except he scores even less.

Indecisive and passes on all playmaking to his teammates, which would be fine if he could actually put himself into scoring areas. The NHL game seems to completely negate every tool he’s got.

Camille the Eel

It's a bit unfair to single anyone out at this stage but nobody irks me more than Palmieri when the team defaults to lazy, disinterested hockey.

He's the posterboy passenger who jaws too much and if you're lucky might throw a rare check out of pure frustration.
On one of our power plays in the second period, it looked like Palms had a seam open momentarily a couple of times for a cross ice pass from the low side of the right wing to the opposite point or circle. But he hesitated and stood there and the holes would close.

That was frustrating. He’s consistently one of our best players, but at the same time it drives me crazy how much he hesitates when he has the puck on his stick in those situations. Year in and year out.

I thought Butcher had a good game tonight. He’s grown a lot this year in being harder to separate from the puck and in his defensive play generally.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Q is done with the devils after this year. He puts up numbers in the ahl but plays a different game at the nhl level (can't score for his life). Also I get McLeod is still very raw as a pro player but what exactly has he done good besides win face offs (which is nice since we are a base,net team every year in face off %) ? He turned the puck over a few times tonight when I really watched him , he didn't look to have that high end speed while skating through the neutral zone on some broken plays tonight.

Camille the Eel

He’s a college aged kid playing behind an AHL team. He’s giving them a chance and standing up to some excellent offensive players. I’m happy to tune in to see if he takes the next step to develop consistency. I’m not suggesting he’s prime MARTY but he’s at least giving us something to cheer for compared to the dead end slugs like Lappin Pietilla JQ Agostino STAFFORD and the list goes on....
Agostino looked a cut above the other AHLers tonight. (Meaning Lappin, Pietila and JQ). In looking like he belonged and could create something maybe and in anticipating a play and having an idea of where to move the puck.

Funny but when we have a mostly AHL team it suddenly looks better coached. Maybe Hynes is at his best coaching guys at that level. The team suddenly looks calmer, more structured and like its playing a system for the first time this year.

Or . . . Is it really just that we are getting goal tending?

Maybe a combination of the two.

LuvTheDevs

May 10, 2010
Monmouth County NJ
I didn't watch the game tonight, but have we gotten so terrible that we are being beat by awful NBA teams now?
Devils.jpg

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The team suddenly looks calmer, more structured and like its playing a system for the first time this year.

Or . . . Is it really just that we are getting goal tending?
Goaltending.

That's not to say the team has been playing terribly, at least not for the caliber of talent that we're icing. It's more just reinforcing my point that we also weren't playing like this systemless Ottawa Senators team, which was the meme earlier in the year when we were being scored against on 89% or 89.5% of the shots were we facing. All the while having a much better team on the ice, which is not the case now. This kind of goaltending would have kept us from taking on water and probably even hitting the iceberg when we had a decent roster out there. Now, the roster is so bad that only having a shutout most nights will help us win games. We're also getting outshot more often than not, which wasn't the case earlier in the year. That has something to do with the (mostly) AHL lineup we've been icing this year.

The system is probably even worse now, although it's not as much worse, as much as the quality of team is worse by a whole lot. And somehow Blackwood is stopping shots at a rate of .93.2% this year and even higher since he was recalled.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just look at the last power play the Capitals had with 5 minutes left. Someone had this shot (Backstrom I think?) point blank and Blackwood stops it. With Cory earlier this year or the Kinkaid we saw the last 2.5 months before he was dealt, they're square to it, but that shot leaks through their arm or 5-hole and half the GDT is bitching about how ''You can't keep a guy that open from point blank. Fire Hynes and Nasreddine!'' and ''Worst D in the league! No system!'' or ''Waive Lovejoy and put Santini in there!'' in between the 10 posts where I'm shredding the goalie for allowing yet another leaky and cheap bullshit goal.

Then after the very next draw I think it was, Blackwood makes a glove save on a one timer from the circle. I realize it wasn't from Ovechkin and I don't think the guy got a lot on it, but that's a goal that goes in on Cory (at least before the last comeback and it probably does now because of how much room he gives upstairs) and I'm reading the same things on here. Then people who act like every shot upstairs is a good shot and not saveable are going ''What's he supposed to do there? Grow his arm another 10 feet? He had that labeled top corner! Do you know how lethal the Caps power play is? It You really don't know the position!'' in between my posts shredding the sieves and the ''Fire Hynes! Fire Nasreddine! The system sucks!'' posts.

Seeing Blackwood play right now is actually pissing me off even more with how disgusting our goalie situation was for most of this year. Especially with the quality of roster, which is much worse than anything Cory had to play behind before he came back the last time and much worse than anything Keith played behind at all this season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Quenneville is the Mueller of forwards, except he scores even less.

Indecisive and passes on all playmaking to his teammates, which would be fine if he could actually put himself into scoring areas. The NHL game seems to completely negate every tool he’s got.
Mueller is better at his position than Quenneville is at his.

The problem with Quenneville is that he's supposed to be an offensive player, but he sucks at offense. He's supposed to be an offensive player and he doesn't score points. Only in the preseason and in the AHL.

Q is done with the devils after this year. He puts up numbers in the ahl but plays a different game at the nhl level (can't score for his life). Also I get McLeod is still very raw as a pro player but what exactly has he done good besides win face offs (which is nice since we are a base,net team every year in face off %) ? He turned the puck over a few times tonight when I really watched him , he didn't look to have that high end speed while skating through the neutral zone on some broken plays tonight.
Quenneville isn't even a prospect here anymore. I defended him a lot before this year and said that while I don't believe he has a future here long term, I still thought he could be an NHL player. And now I'm not sure he will be, at all, anywhere in the league.

Between Shero's damning ''He only played so much last year because we stunk'' comments and his insanity filled auditions this year, I think he's done here after this year.

He may still be here if he passes through waivers, but I don't think we'll be calling him up anymore after this. He's not even a legit prospect in the organization anymore. Binghamton could use him next year if he passes through waivers and makes it back there, but the NHL team doesn't need him.

I would trade Quenneville to Utica for Reid Boucher. That's probably all you'd get for that guy at this point.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
Yes yes, this 22 year old player with 30 NHL games is a certain bust. Some real keen insight this year for sure. John freaking Quenneville should really be the player in the dog house this season

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm sure it's easier to play when you actually have confidence that your goalie is going to make a save for you. While some people like to pile it all on the system, the fact is our goaltending was really bad for much of the season. Plus I think we have simplified things a bit with all the injuries. Which I guess leads to the question, if we'd simplified things earlier, would it have stopped the bleeding earlier? Although if we still had the same injuries it probably wouldn't have ultimately mattered.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yes yes, this 22 year old player with 30 NHL games is a certain bust. Some real keen insight this year for sure. John freaking Quenneville should really be the player in the dog house this season

I agree that it's ridiculous to spill this much ink on him as though he matters, but he probably won't be an NHL player. There's certainly players who've been this ineffective and have gone on to long NHL careers, but that's a much shorter list than the guys who started this way and never got a full-time NHL job.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He sucks.

I think there's an outside chance he's still NHL caliber, but I think it won't be here.

When I was higher on him before the season started, I said I thought he was not going to be in the organization if he were to be a full time NHL player.

I think he'll be Reid Boucher'd real soon. Meaning next year. If someone picks him up, then he has a chance. If someone doesn't, he's just gonna be racking up the points in Binghamton again.

As far as the dog house goes, that firmly belongs to the two goalies that played 100% of the games for this team between the opener and a few days before Christmas. Blackwood is really starting to show how pathetic they are and how AIDS our goaltending was over that period while we were not yet sunk and I would be the first to agree that he's overachieving a bit and I'm still a bit shaky on him being NHL ready full time next season due to his AHL career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->