GDT: New Jersey Devils vs. Minnesota Wild: Scooby Dooby Doo It

Status
Not open for further replies.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Well we knew a trade was in the works on the Ranger side as both Grabner and Nash were pulled out of their game tonight, but of course that seemed to just be out of town news.

Trade news broke around 10:30. I find it hilarious as I spent like a half hour after the game trying to tell people to stay positive because Ray was going to get a another forward by Monday. Didn’t figure I would log back in to see he already did it.

Haha ah ok, we were all talking about what the Rags would do early in the night and whatnot but were busy with other stuff, no one had a clue.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

So there you go.

I do applaud Hynes calling out (without completely throwing them under the bus) the goalies lately.

It's more than deserved, although I'm not sure I have a problem with their effort, as much as I just don't think they're good enough to play well more than here and there.

He makes some questionable personnel moves, but I think he's got a good assessment on the goalies, as bad goaltending is gonna be a threat to his job long before a terrible forward/defensemen playing small minutes is.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I do applaud Hynes calling out (without completely throwing them under the bus) the goalies lately.

It's more than deserved, although I'm not sure I have a problem with their effort, as much as I just don't think they're good enough to play well more than here and there.

He makes some questionable personnel moves, but I think he's got a good assessment on the goalies, as bad goaltending is gonna be a threat to his job long before a terrible forward/defensemen playing small minutes is.

This was a bit harsher then what he said about Keith on Tuesday. Which is fair, as we really needed Lack to make a save there.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This was a bit harsher then what he said about Keith on Tuesday. Which is fair, as we really needed Lack to make a save there.
He hasn't been afraid to critique any goalie we've had this year, even Cory once this year. I remember him saying ''Whoever is playing needs to be better than they have been'' about a month ago. With Keith I think he said ''Okay, he needed to be better'' although one quote said ''He could have been better'' but after watching the video on youtube, he clearly said ''He needed to be better'' and looked mildly annoyed and paused in between the asking of the question and answering ''Okay''.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He hasn't been afraid to critique any goalie we've had this year, even Cory once this year. I remember him saying ''Whoever is playing needs to be better than they have been'' about a month ago. With Keith I think he said ''Okay, he needed to be better'' although one quote said ''He could have been better'' but after watching the video on youtube, he clearly said ''He needed to be better'' and looked mildly annoyed and paused in between the asking of the question and answering ''Okay''.

He definitely has been annoyed with his goalies.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
What is this team doing. When heavily outshot/outplayed goalies stand on their head and team is winning and when is other way around they can't stop a puck. Columbus and Minnesota were very beatable and with those 4 points they could already started selling playoff tickets. So frustrating.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What is this team doing. When heavily outshot/outplayed goalies stand on their head and team is winning and when is other way around they can't stop a puck. Columbus and Minnesota were very beatable and with those 4 points they could already started selling playoff tickets. So frustrating.
I think it's safe to say that goaltending cost us 2 points (I'm assuming on OT loss in both games, possibly a win in one or both games) this week already, after getting us 4 points over the weekend. I can think of a lot more games that goaltending cost us points, than games where it won us points, especially over the last month.

I know this is very hyperbolic and a very BAD example, but I'll put it into perspective. We talk about wins around here, as if they've been more important to winning this year than Taylor Hall, who gets absolutely zero credit for a win in his personal stat line, but how many games did Marty Brodeur win 2-1 in his career? Like a couple hundred? Now how many games have the Kinkaid/Lack spittoon won 2-1 this year? Not a whole lot. Obviously, it's unreasonable to ask them to allow fewer than 2-3 goals when facing 40-50 shots and it's unreasonable to ask them to get a shutout in some of these games, but even when we play well in front of the goalies (like the last two games) they still let in a crippling backbreaker or two that winds up being the difference in the game.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm just going through the list right now

Cory has started 35 games and has allowed 1 goal or less in 9 of his starts. He faced 40 or more shots in 3 of those games and 30 or more shots in 6 of those 9 games.

In 22 starts, Kinkaid has allowed fewer than 2 goals only 3 times and 0 of those times were facing more than 28 shots. Out of those 3 games, one was a cream puff 16 shot rocking chair game against the Pens and another was against Buffalo.

And only in 8 of his 22 starts has he allowed fewer than 3 goals. He's allowing 3 or more goals in over 60% of his starts. Even most guys on the really bad teams that allow 35+ shots a game probably allow less than 3 goals more frequently than he does.

Lack has started 5 games this year and has allowed fewer than 3 goals in exactly zero of them.

This is not good enough from these other two guys.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
I think it's safe to say that goaltending cost us 2 points (I'm assuming on OT loss in both games, possibly a win in one or both games) this week already, after getting us 4 points over the weekend. I can think of a lot more games that goaltending cost us points, than games where it won us points, especially over the last month.

I know this is very hyperbolic and a very BAD example, but I'll put it into perspective. We talk about wins around here, as if they've been more important to winning this year than Taylor Hall, who gets absolutely zero credit for a win in his personal stat line, but how many games did Marty Brodeur win 2-1 in his career? Like a couple hundred? Now how many games have the Kinkaid/Lack spittoon won 2-1 this year? Not a whole lot. Obviously, it's unreasonable to ask them to allow fewer than 2-3 goals when facing 40-50 shots and it's unreasonable to ask them to get a shutout in some of these games, but even when we play well in front of the goalies (like the last two games) they still let in a crippling backbreaker or two that winds up being the difference in the game.

Agree with you, but like I said it's very frustrating to watch them play. It's 6 years since the last time they made to PO and I hope they don't blow it because it's theirs to lose.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
The level of inconsistency by this team is mind boggling. Every winning streak is followed by a hair pulling losing streak. They can't continue to lose games in regulation all the time. They need to pick up points.

They are really making lives harder on everyone. It's gonna bea dog fight to the end.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The level of inconsistency by this team is mind boggling. Every winning streak is followed by a hair pulling losing streak. They can't continue to lose games in regulation all the time. They need to pick up points.

They are really making lives harder on everyone. It's gonna bea dog fight to the end.

Where is the leadership when a team in a dog fight race simply stops playing after going up 2?

Regulation losses cannot continue to happen, especially at home in very winnable games.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
With how streaky this team has been the last few months, we have the potential to either sweep or be swept in the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad