GDT: New Jersey Devils vs. Minnesota Wild: Scooby Dooby Doo It

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Oh dear...what section? I'll keep an ear out for any random rants lol

I was actually surprised they put in Lack tonight, since we're about one or two games away from him going back to the AHL anyway, figured they wouldn't want to rock the boat this close to Keith going back to baseball cap duty but maybe Keith needed another wakeup call.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They should run a softie ice cream truck business when they retire. Can't wait till Cory comes back. Jesus, I can't believe the points that were thrown out the last couple of games on this garbage.

Tonight's game seemed particularly frustrating as we had a 2-0 gap on them, things seemed in control more or less, and I went to put the kids to bed thinking i wouldn't miss much, and came down it was 2-3 for Christ's sake. Okay Moore put one in with his dumb ass hand, but you can't make this **** up every game its something.

Did they have chances to capitlize after? Yes, but pretty much Minn locked down the neutral zone the entire 3rd period sans maybe the first 6 mins.
Both guys will be out of the league after this year. Lack already was out of the league, but is up because of injury. Kinkaid will almost definitely be in the AHL next season, while we take the loss of paying him to play in the AHL and get someone better. At the very least, someone will be brought into camp and given a chance to take the job from Kinkaid, and will have the leg up and unless he shits the bed like Wedgewood did in the 2016 preseason, that guy will probably get the job. Re-signing Kinkaid after last year was a no-brainer, even I was for it, better than rolling than Wedgewood (who is even worse than Kinkaid and still worse than Kinkaid), but with Cory not being as good as he used to be, nor as durable anymore, you need something better behind him after next year. Shero fired Terreri over Cory having a poor year last season, I don't think he'll f*** around and go with this tandem again. If Cory missed more time or if we hadn't had such a huge lead in the standings at the time he was injured, this might have taken us out of the race completely. I can think of at least 4-5 games that we lost at least a point this month due to goaltending. Eye test backs it right up and I'm tired of both of these shit heads.

You NEED to be able to hold teams to 1-2 goals as a goalie sometimes and in 25 starts between Lack and Kinkaid, they've allowed fewer than 2 goals in only 3 of those games. Obviously, it's not fair to ask Lack to only allow 1 goal when he faces 51 shots like in Tampa or Kinkaid to only allow one goal on 41 shots against Carolina, but if there was a game to allow 1 goal for Kinkaid, it was last game. If there was a game for Lack to allow under 3 goals it was tonight. If there was a game for the two of them to combine for under 3-4 goals, it was the 5-3 loss to Ottawa where 4 of the 5 goals were stoppable and we scored 3 goals. If there was another game to ask Kinkaid to allow under 3 goals, it was against Calgary, when he allowed two bad goals. Both goals last game weren't good either, but it's not fair to ask him to have a shutout, but can't he at least stop the second goal from Manasquan Inlet? I can confidently say that almost 40% of the goals going in the last month have been stoppable ones. It's unrealistic to say they should not allow any stoppable goals, but we're doing a little bit better if only 20%-25% of the goals they allowed were stoppable and not 35%-40%.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
So tonight a drunk Wild fan was being obnoxious in the 3rd when they were about to win and started pounding the glass like an idiot. Some girl from the crowd shouts,

"Sit down Homophobic Slur! You bang the boards harder than you bang your girlfriend!"

Funniest shit I heard all night

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Oh dear...what section? I'll keep an ear out for any random rants lol

I was actually surprised they put in Lack tonight, since we're about one or two games away from him going back to the AHL anyway, figured they wouldn't want to rock the boat this close to Keith going back to baseball cap duty but maybe Keith needed another wakeup call.
I'm not even sure the number section, I forget, since I don't have possession of the tickets, but I think it's in the lower bowl behind the goal that we defend in the 1st and 3rd period. That's not section 1 is it? Or is 1 on the opposite side, behind the opposition's 1st and 3rd period net? We live in different cities and are flying in separately and meeting at the airport on Saturday morning, so I'll have to see then!

We're usually family friendly and neither of us drink, so I'm sure other fans are much worse!:laugh:

Hynes didn't seem happy with Kinkaid's play after last game, saying that he was ''Okay, but he needed to be better''. He also said ''We needed a save there'' on the third goal against tonight, which was a clear sighted 5-hole goal that cleanly went through the legs, with no screen or deflection.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So tonight a drunk Wild fan was being obnoxious in the 3rd when they were about to win and started pounding the glass like an idiot. Some girl from the crowd shouts,

"Sit down ******! You bang the boards harder than you bang your girlfriend!"

Funniest **** I heard all night
Haha

I'm not nearly this obnoxious at games. Sometimes I yell in my friend's ear, since I usually need to for him to hear me and he'll do the same, but we're pretty mild mannered at the games in person.

I see a lot of people that are even older than I am and feel really embarrassed by them. I remember when I was teenager, I'd be like ''This guy is so obnoxious, if I'm like that when I'm his age, god help me! I vow that I never will be!''. And I also watch my language, just because of young kids there. I'll yell something SUCKS occasionally, or ''THAT'S CRAP!'' over a bad call, but no F or S bombs. At least not out loud. Maybe to my friend or whoever is sitting next to me.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Whaddagoal

Timos back! Let's go!
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Both guys will be out of the league after this year. Lack already was out of the league, but is up because of injury. Kinkaid will almost definitely be in the AHL next season, while we take the loss of paying him to play in the AHL and get someone better. At the very least, someone will be brought into camp and given a chance to take the job from Kinkaid, and will have the leg up and unless he ****s the bed like Wedgewood did in the 2016 preseason, that guy will probably get the job. Re-signing Kinkaid after last year was a no-brainer, even I was for it, better than rolling than Wedgewood (who is even worse than Kinkaid and still worse than Kinkaid), but with Cory not being as good as he used to be, nor as durable anymore, you need something better behind him after next year. Shero fired Terreri over Cory having a poor year last season, I don't think he'll **** around and go with this tandem again. If Cory missed more time or if we hadn't had such a huge lead in the standings at the time he was injured, this might have taken us out of the race completely. I can think of at least 4-5 games that we lost at least a point this month due to goaltending. Eye test backs it right up and I'm tired of both of these **** heads.

You NEED to be able to hold teams to 1-2 goals as a goalie sometimes and in 25 starts between Lack and Kinkaid, they've allowed fewer than 2 goals in only 3 of those games. Obviously, it's not fair to ask Lack to only allow 1 goal when he faces 51 shots like in Tampa or Kinkaid to only allow one goal on 41 shots against Carolina, but if there was a game to allow 1 goal for Kinkaid, it was last game. If there was a game for Lack to allow under 3 goals it was tonight. If there was a game for the two of them to combine for under 3-4 goals, it was the 5-3 loss to Ottawa where 4 of the 5 goals were stoppable and we scored 3 goals. If there was another game to ask Kinkaid to allow under 3 goals, it was against Calgary, when he allowed two bad goals. Both goals last game weren't good either, but it's not fair to ask him to have a shutout, but can't he at least stop the second goal from Manasquan Inlet? I can confidently say that almost 40% of the goals going in the last month have been stoppable ones. It's unrealistic to say they should not allow any stoppable goals, but we're doing a little bit better if only 20%-25% of the goals they allowed were stoppable and not 35%-40%.

Parsing you wall here (it is a good read no doubt!). I still believe Cory will be better to close out the season than he was during his putrid stretch. We absolutely need a better backup behind Cory next season. Kinkaid hasn't improved much since he has been here from Day 1 whatever years ago it was now. He's still weak on PK screens, he's a huge rebound control issues (unless he intentionally really likes giving up juicy rebounds).

Lack seems better in some areas than him, but he also give us weird goals which Kinkaid makes, its like a "pick your soft goal poison" its a net zero choice between either of them. The no look goal today he knew he blew it right away. He also makes saves Kinkaid doesn't make in other areas. Too small sample size for me on Lack to seriously critique him as a Devil, but i agree 100%. Need someone better willing to sit behind Cory, preferably young so there is room to do a 1a/1b with Cory over time (if needed)

Reactions: Bleedred

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Haha

I'm not nearly this obnoxious at games. Sometimes I yell in my friend's ear, since I usually need to for him to hear me and he'll do the same, but we're pretty mild mannered at the games in person.

I see a lot of people that are even older than I am and feel really embarrassed by them. I remember when I was teenager, I'd be like ''This guy is so obnoxious, if I'm like that when I'm his age, god help me! I vow that I never will be!''. And I also watch my language, just because of young kids there. I'll yell something SUCKS occasionally, or ''THAT'S CRAP!'' over a bad call, but no F or S bombs. At least not out loud. Maybe to my friend or whoever is sitting next to me.

I used to be a lot worse back when I was a teenager, but that's because I was an asshole lol I usually keep my thoughts to myself now unless something really annoys me.

I just like to study the game live and focus on what little things each player is doing. I find that much more interesting sometimes

It isn’t absurd to ride Cory hard down the stretch if he is healthy.

Not like he has had a big workload the last month. He should be fresh.

We aren't going to have a choice

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We needed an extra stop the past two nights, but we also needed an extra goal.

Cory will address our need for stops. Grabner helps address the need for goals.

Add Gibbons to balance out the bottom 6 and lets cross the finish line.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
What the hell happened? I was playing poker with a bunch of friends, saw we were up 2-0 in the second and then we lost. Only saw that shitty two on one five hole goal in the second.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Parsing you wall here (it is a good read no doubt!). I still believe Cory will be better to close out the season than he was during his putrid stretch. We absolutely need a better backup behind Cory next season. Kinkaid hasn't improved much since he has been here from Day 1 whatever years ago it was now. He's still weak on PK screens, he's a huge rebound control issues (unless he intentionally really likes giving up juicy rebounds).

Lack seems better in some areas than him, but he also give us weird goals which Kinkaid makes, its like a "pick your soft goal poison" its a net zero choice between either of them. The no look goal today he knew he blew it right away. He also makes saves Kinkaid doesn't make in other areas. Too small sample size for me on Lack to seriously critique him as a Devil, but i agree 100%. Need someone better willing to sit behind Cory, preferably young so there is room to do a 1a/1b with Cory over time (if needed)
I agree with all of this, although I think Kinkaid usually has good rebound control, but it's been a bit suspect lately.

To me, it seems like Lack is more prone to the blatantly soft goals, that just leak through his 5-hole or are more conspicuously noticeable, while Kinkaid's bad goals are more subtle. Like Kinkaid's positioning is very bad, and he's very prone to short side goals because he doesn't protect the short side very well. He leaves the short side post open way too much (see my location) and even if it doesn't burn him for a goal against, it's noticeable how much he does this. He's off his angles A LOT. See goal 1 against Columbus the other night for an example of his positioning being suspect. Even if it deflected a little before getting past him and hitting the post and laying in the crease, I feel like that shot hits a good positional goalie, at least 60%-70% of the time. Same with that putrid goal against Calgary. He was off his angle, it got past him, hit the post, laid in the crease and he made no attempt to get over to the other post. If his positioning wasn't so terrible, that shot never hits the post, it hits him and play stops. Same with that early goal against the Flyers last week and there was another memorable one early in the game he played the Rangers in December, where I was the only that seemed to have a problem with that goal.

So I can understand why Kinkaid passes the eye test more than Lack, but if you really look good enough, it's not hard to see why the numbers are where they are. These aren't a bunch of goals that he has no chance on, that just unluckily find their way into the net.

Now I think there's a chance he can turn around and play well again next year, but I don't trust him to play over 15-20 games a year (And we might need a 25-30 game a year guy if Cory isn't a reliable, nor durable anymore) he looks even worse the more he plays, but this year, he was playing lousy even when only coming off the bench once every a week or 10 days. This is the kind of season that gets a dime a dozen backup thrown out of the league and where they lose their job. It's not hard to get better goaltending than Kinkaid this year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
What the hell happened? I was playing poker with a bunch of friends, saw we were up 2-0 in the second and then we lost. Only saw that ****ty two on one five hole goal in the second.

A bad bounce, a bad defensive effort, and a soft goal.

Their guy stoned us a few times in the third.

This isn’t the big news of the night though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What the hell happened? I was playing poker with a bunch of friends, saw we were up 2-0 in the second and then we lost. Only saw that ****ty two on one five hole goal in the second.
LOL when I first saw your post, I read this as ''I only that shitty twenty-second five hole goal on the season and I thought ''Yeah, that's about right'''.:laugh:

Reactions: NJDevs26 and JK3

Whaddagoal

Timos back! Let's go!
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

Yep my story as well, tuned out for a short after they went up 2-0, then dialed back into the 3rd.

Penalties which lead to ice tilt and stupid goals. One softie, another, i dunno, i think i didn't even watch the replay of one of the goals because i was so pissed off anyway. We're hoping for Cory basically at this point onward, except the question is who the hell plays for Elias night. Not a good plan to win for Elias...

Reactions: JK3

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It isn’t absurd to ride Cory hard down the stretch if he is healthy.

Not like he has had a big workload the last month. He should be fresh.
I almost see him playing almost every game, at least starting almost every game, until we either clinch or are eliminated, which might not be good either.

And I can already see the forthcoming posts about how ''See! Kinkaid and Lack aren't bad! Cory's letting in 3-4 goals a game too!'' if he's rusty and looks like hell for the first several games.

Reactions: New Jersey

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
A bad bounce, a bad defensive effort, and a soft goal.

Their guy stoned us a few times in the third.

This isn’t the big news of the night though.

That really sucks, seems like another aggravating game to watch, I thought we were going to stomp them especially when I saw we were up by two, cant' believe we blew that lead.

Just catching up on the trade, not sure what to make of it. I'm more pissed that we didn't take care of business tonight especially with the lead, really disappointing letting these points slip away.

Whaddagoal

Timos back! Let's go!
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
That really sucks, seems like another aggravating game to watch, I thought we were going to stomp them especially when I saw we were up by two, cant' believe we blew that lead.

Just catching up on the trade, not sure what to make of it. I'm more pissed that we didn't take care of business tonight especially with the lead, really disappointing letting these points slip away.

The standings still look fairly reasonable still, surprised, we're not YET in scared territory.

5 points ahead of CBJ and NYI, and (edit) 4 points behind Philly.

WIN FOR ELIAS! One step forward at a time. I think i'm done for tonight. Catch you all later.

Reactions: Bleedred and JK3

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Trade lifted my mood. I am now even more excited for Saturday.

I think the new addition plus the return of Gibby and Cory is going to huge.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How the hell does Bratt got burned by old man Winnik?

I didn't even think Winnik was in the league anymore this season, I was surprised when I didn't see him over on Team Canada in Pyeongchang. Dude is probably almost old enough to be Bratt's dad.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The standings still look fairly reasonable still, surprised, we're not YET in scared territory.

5 points ahead of CBJ and NYI, and (edit) 4 points behind Philly.

WIN FOR ELIAS! One step forward at a time. I think i'm done for tonight. Catch you all later.

We are in fine shape, especially with the guys coming back and more scoring depth now.

JK3

Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Trade lifted my mood. I am now even more excited for Saturday.

I think the new addition plus the return of Gibby and Cory is going to huge.

I can't believe we traded with the Rangers haha crazy shit, when did this go down? I was playing cards with my brother and friend who are huge Devils fans and two other good friends that are Ranger fans and everyone was breaking each others balls all night. didn't really watch the game, no one knew about a trade.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I can't believe we traded with the Rangers haha crazy ****, when did this go down? I was playing cards with my brother and friend who are huge Devils fans and two other good friends that are Ranger fans and everyone was breaking each others balls no one knew about a trade.

Well we knew a trade was in the works on the Ranger side as both Grabner and Nash were pulled out of their game tonight, but of course that seemed to just be out of town news.

Trade news broke around 10:30. I find it hilarious as I spent like a half hour after the game trying to tell people to stay positive because Ray was going to get a another forward by Monday. Didn’t figure I would log back in to see he already did it.

Reactions: JK3

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He hit the rookie wall. Needs a night off.
I think so too. He's looked pretty shoddy the last several weeks. I don't think Nico or Butcher have hit the wall, I never did, but I think he has.
I honestly think Stafford is on a new team come Monday. Thankfully because he has been a real negative.
I'm not sure who would give up anything for him? He's at the Havlat/Ryder 2015 deadline level for me. Remember, no one wanted them and they stayed after the deadline. And everybody gave Lou hell for it, as if anybody even wanted either of them. No one was taking them for free!:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->