New Jersey Devils top 20 brimming with pro-ready defensemen

bmqdevils

Feb 5, 2011
small sample size but i loved what i saw from gelinas in the couple of games he played. urbom looked decent too. but, it's not the defense i'm worried about in the future. forwards and goalie worry me. a lot.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not high on Urbom either. Could be good, but he's meh as far as what we need. Gelinas is more of what we need. I don't think we need another 20 point max, mostly stay at home defensemen which is what I think he will be.

Buggsy

Sep 16, 2009
Halifax, NS
I'm not high on Urbom either. Could be good, but he's meh as far as what we need. Gelinas is more of what we need. I don't think we need another 20 point max, mostly stay at home defensemen which is what I think he will be.

We will in 2 years.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We will in 2 years.

Why? Salvador is probably there until he retires. If he decides to keep going he'll be brought back.

Gelinas, Larsson, Merrill, Greene, Fayne, Salvador or possibly Conechenkov in there if he's not bought out.

Then you got another group of guys like Severson, Scarlett, etc.

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ

Yes we do!

We have nobody that sufficiently does that.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I'm not sure Urbom really spends much time here either. He seemed like an important piece in one of the most awful prospect pools in the league, same thing that happened to Eckford. But now there's guys who aren't necessarily ahead of him on the depth chart, but likely will be soon due to their higher potential. Urbom may just be a stop-gap guy til some of the better prospects make their way up.

I wouldn't mind seeing this a few more times before he leaves though...

The Great Dame

Goose will be loose
Jan 3, 2008
NJ
Fayne? Then there's guy like Greene who do that, and also provide some offense.

Ok Fayne, that's it, and Greene is not a "shut down" guy and neither is really physical like Urbom.

I heard someone compare him to Jonathan Ericsson, maybe that's why I'm so excited but I see Urbom as a big, mobile, and physical defenseman, so what's not to love?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ok Fayne, that's it, and Greene is not a "shut down" guy and neither is really physical like Urbom.

I heard someone compare him to Jonathan Ericsson, maybe that's why I'm so excited but I see Urbom as a big, mobile, and physical defenseman, so what's not to love?

There's nothing wrong with him, but I'm not that high on him. I'm kinda tired of our defense only scoring 15 goals a year too.

And Greene has done a damn good job at shutting down guys the last 2 years.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I have no idea how one game made gelinas so popular around here but it sure as hell happened

Urbom is the only one of our defensemen I would expect to see significant time next season barring a lot of injuries. Everyone else could use another season in the minors

dougiebrown

Oct 22, 2007
New Jersey
I have no idea why Wedgewood is considered our #2 prospect. In fact, I don't think he's our #1 goalie prospect. I think Kinkaid is.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I have no idea how one game made gelinas so popular around here but it sure as hell happened

Urbom is the only one of our defensemen I would expect to see significant time next season barring a lot of injuries. Everyone else could use another season in the minors

Maybe because he was looking impressively comfortable out there, not bothered to face Malkin and company, moving the puck very well, showing his powerful shot too. Only one game but it damn screamed Gelinas looks like an NHLer, and Deboer was the 1st person to agree on that.

Urbom with 3 full AHL seasons should be NHL ready by now but Gelinas, while being 1 AHL season less experienced, is progressing faster and seems to have a higher ceiling than Urbom. I wouldn't be surprised if he could make the team before Urbom.

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day
Greene-Larsson
Fayne-Merrill
Salvador (final year of his deal yay)-Urbom
Gelinas

in 2 seasons from now ? Tallinder traded to Buffalo, Volchenkov amnestied

But I feel like we have to move some D prospects because Severson looks like he's going to be really solid. One of Urbom/Gelinas probably moves, Salvador is just ugh......he's gotta go then that'll free up Severson or someone for a spot

Scarlett, Burlon, Gelinas/Urbom seem like they can be expendable ...at least one of them

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
Gelinas has played one game in the NHL and two seasons in Albany. Not even if you count his injury. He looked great in his brief NHL stint, but he also looked raw. Urbom will get a shot before Gelinas unless Gelinas outplays him at rookie/training camp

I disagree, Gelinas looked better in every way compared to Urbom, Urbom has looked worse and worse each time he's been called up. Gelinas didn't really look raw to me at all, if anything he was adjusting to the level of competition. Gelinas needs to play in the NHL next season. Urbom is NHL ready also but he's just not at the same level.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey

I was impressed with Gelinas long before his debut, his debut just confirmed what I had been saying, he is phased by no one. Urbom just isn't the type of guy we need right now.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Maybe because he was looking impressively comfortable out there, not bothered to face Malkin and company, moving the puck very well, showing his powerful shot too. Only one game but it damn screamed Gelinas looks like an NHLer, and Deboer was the 1st person to agree on that.

Urbom with 3 full AHL seasons should be NHL ready by now but Gelinas, while being 1 AHL season less experienced, is progressing faster and seems to have a higher ceiling than Urbom. I wouldn't be surprised if he could make the team before Urbom.

I think the difference is in their style of play. From what I've seen in some of the Albany games I've caught - Gelinas is more like Zids and Urbom is more like Fayne.

I think Gelinas has more upside overall, and certainly more offensive upside, but I think he is far more likely to get caught, take a bad angle, get running around, and miss assignments.

Just be prepared for a healthy dose of that when he gets his chance.

Whereas I think you could drop Urbom in and be completely unimpressed with his game (other than his size) but he might play 82 games for us and we won't mention his name (too much) after they score a goal.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I think the difference is in their style of play. From what I've seen in some of the Albany games I've caught - Gelinas is more like Zids and Urbom is more like Fayne.

I think Gelinas has more upside overall, and certainly more offensive upside, but I think he is far more likely to get caught, take a bad angle, get running around, and miss assignments.

Just be prepared for a healthy dose of that when he gets his chance.

Whereas I think you could drop Urbom in and be completely unimpressed with his game (other than his size) but he might play 82 games for us and we won't mention his name (too much) after they score a goal.

Indeed both play a different game. In my opinion, our lack of offensive production and puck movement from the blueline is one of the main reason why I believe Gelinas could make the team before Urbom. Gelinas' game just fits today's NHL perfectly. Still early and I like Urbom's game also. Once he'll use his huge size better, he'll be a good dman.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Is there anyone in the HF top 20 who u would not trade in order to move up in the draft?

Is there anyone in the HF top 20 with whom we could pair with our #9 to move up in this year's draft?

John Iadevaia

May 9, 2013
Long Island
Indeed both play a different game. In my opinion, our lack of offensive production and puck movement from the blueline is one of the main reason why I believe Gelinas could make the team before Urbom. Gelinas' game just fits today's NHL perfectly. Still early and I like Urbom's game also. Once he'll use his huge size better, he'll be a good dman.

Gelinas, Urbom and Burlon are ready to show if they can crack the line-up. I do agree Gelinas has the bigger upside of the three, but Urbom is a rare mix of size and speed. He's also good in his own zone. Burlon is more of a vanilla type blueliner, nothing flashy on either end, but he plays a balanced game overall.

Don't forge Merrill and Severson will also get a good look at training camp along with them. I definitely see Lou moving one of the veterans this summer opening up a spot for one or two players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad