New Jersey Devils sport deep pool of defensive prospects

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
damon_severson_new_jersey.jpg
Photo: Damon Severson had 12 points in 32 games before being sidelined with an ankle injury. (Image courtesy of Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire)

Unless the New Jersey Devils go on a miracle run, the club will miss the postseason for the fourth time in the last five seasons. Change is imminent as the oldest team in the NHL will need to replace departing veterans with younger players.

In Albany, Reid Boucher and Stefan Matteau have had inconsistent years, while Reece Scarlett and Graham Black have stepped up for the club. College seniors Blake Coleman and Blake Pietila are producing for their respective schools, while newcomer Joseph Blandisi is in the thick of the OHL scoring race.… read more

The post New Jersey Devils sport deep pool of defensive prospects appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Moe Syzlak

Sep 27, 2009
Yeah, Scarlett too? Some might argue that Santini is their best prospect period. I'd break out my completely unqualified opinion in to Forwards and Defencemen groups to guys who might actually play an NHL game and/or contribute.

Defencemen:
1. Severson
2. Santini
3. Helgeson
4. Hrabarenka
5. Scarlett
6. Jacobs

Forwards:
1. Boucher
2. Quenneville
3. Black
4. Matteau
5. Coleman
6. Blandisi
7. Pietila
8. Kujawinski
9. Wood
10. Chatham

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
I love/hate these articles because it reminds me of how shallow our forward pool is.

Seems like the only forward playing in a first line role on his team right now is Kerfoot and Blandisi, which seem to be very far up on our list anyway.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Coleman and Pietila are both playing first-line roles, I believe, as is Chatham if I'm not mistaken.

As far as Santini, while I might not agree, I think it's fair to give an edge to players that are already successful at the pro level. And as much as we like Santini, he still is most likely a one-dimensional defenseman. That one dimension is very good, but I'm skeptical if he can be good enough defensively that it can completely overcome Jay Leach-levels of offense.

DevilsJunkie

Jul 28, 2009
Biggest Little City
My expectation for Santini is for him to become above average defensively, and to surprisingly develop some acumen offensively. No real data to support the latter statement, although he did put up some points in his freshman year. He seems as if he's intelligent and capable enough to be a better rounded player.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
A better skating Dan Girardi, wouldent that Seem to be the player he looks to be. Without knowing how many points he put up in a average year, i would guess 20-30 B. Seabrook could maybe be hes Seeling?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I haven't seen Santini play that much, but from what I did see I saw a lot of Fayne in him, but with more of an edge to his game. Which I would be perfectly okay with.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The thing about Santini, from the little I've seen, is that he makes solid decisions with and without the puck.

At the NHL level, I think that translates to more offense than most people, let alone HF posters, would expect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad